33 replies to this topic

#1 johnnysyeah

johnnysyeah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hi all,

Long time poster in xda; first time in droidrzr. Glad to be here! Much friendlier here than over there ;]

I have a question for all my fellow RAZR MAXX users.
Do you use a case? If so what type?
Do you feel it's "necessary" to use a case?
I mean, the phone is supposedly designed to be tough and rugged, right?
So do you feel a case is "required" or "highly recommended" to use with this phone?

I'm currently using the Otterbox Defender series but I'm contemplating about just removing it.. simply because the case makes it so much bulkier.

#2 abn75

abn75

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

I use the otter box cases myself. While they may not be totally.necessary, and while the phone is supposed to be made fairly rugged, I take no chances. In my job i'm always dropping the phone, so better safe than sorry

Sent from a phone using a app connected to the internet using a wire coat hanger

#3 deathstolas

deathstolas

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:deathstolas1982
  • Google+:deathstolas@gmail.com
  • LocationPennsylvania... well most of the time

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

Unlike the razr, the razr maxx will not fit in its car dock with a case on it. So, as i use it daily for navigation etc., i do not use a case. I know its not too helpful as you asked if you think we need one. But, its why i dont have one.
If I were you and you were me, would I be you or me?

#4 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:05 AM

otterbox defender.. ALL THE WAY .. I use a case because of the fact sure its rugged and tough... but if i want to sell my device later its easier to do in a pristine condition... Only time my phone comes out of the case is on a sunday.. it gets cleaned and so does the case keeping it looking nice and professional but also keeping it dust free and working beautifully
  • tweakhax likes this
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#5 johnnysyeah

johnnysyeah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

I was thinking of putting on ghost armor or the zagg invisible shield.
I know where you're going about the resell value though.
My previous phone was in its case since day one and I was able to sell it for more than average "used" running price.

I can't make up my mind!
I do plan on keeping this phone for the full two years contract. But you never know with the phone market nowadays.
Next month a better phone with even better battery capacity might come out, haha.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#6 Greaser

Greaser

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@MattScarSr
  • LocationKenosha, WI

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

I bought the case from Verizon that has the kickstand and its own holster, been pretty good so far, and its easy to remove so I can put it in the car dock. Although a rugged phone the RAZR is, it will still get scratched and dinged up if you drop it.

Sent From My Rooted RAZR MAXX 6.12.174

#7 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

I stopped using a case on my RAZR a while ago. I just take care to keep it in my pocket while working in the machine shop, and not dropping it. For most people, as long as you don't drop I don't think a case is worth the extra thickness..

#8 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

I bought the case from Verizon that has the kickstand and its own holster, been pretty good so far, and its easy to remove so I can put it in the car dock. Although a rugged phone the RAZR is, it will still get scratched and dinged up if you drop it.

Sent From My Rooted RAZR MAXX 6.12.174

I had this case originally, but after removal noticed that it was slightly scratching corners, and making a mark on the back where kickstand went in/out. So i swapped to silicone slip on. I like it, but after seeing so many cracked screens on ebay i am thinking of otterbox, or something like it. I want the smallest toughest case i can get with port plugs (have noticed dust in top 3 ports). I just want it to still be pocketable

sliced by my Razr on Tapatalk

Posted Image

#9 johnnysyeah

johnnysyeah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

I had this case originally, but after removal noticed that it was slightly scratching corners, and making a mark on the back where kickstand went in/out. So i swapped to silicone slip on. I like it, but after seeing so many cracked screens on ebay i am thinking of otterbox, or something like it. I want the smallest toughest case i can get with port plugs (have noticed dust in top 3 ports). I just want it to still be pocketable

The otterbox series has all you're looking for except it's definitely not small.
My phone still fits in my pockets just fine. But I'm not sure it'll fit inside normal jeans pockets though. So the phone alone is 8.99 mm thick. Let's say it's 9 mm to be general. The otterbox defender series on the phone makes it 16 mm. That's an additional 7 mm bulkiness to the phone.

#10 Narffran

Narffran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:Fran_Granfield
  • LocationNorth of Boston MA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

I stopped using a case on my RAZR a while ago. I just take care to keep it in my pocket while working in the machine shop, and not dropping it. For most people, as long as you don't drop I don't think a case is worth the extra thickness..

I also dont use a case. Mainly because I've bad hands and that little extra thickness is just to much on me. If I was going somewhere out of the norm. I'd tell myself to use the case for safety.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#11 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

That case will fit in the car dock :).

I had that Verizon case and a Zagg shield on the front. I took the screen protector off because the feeling bugged the crap out of me, plus the glass just feels/reacts so much better.

Still have the Verizon case on though, love the kickstand and use it all the time.

:-D :-D

#12 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

Yes because they suck as transformers
If you dont believe me, turn on airplane mode and toss it up :D
  • got556 and charklos like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

I like mail! :D

#13 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

That case will fit in the car dock .

I had that Verizon case and a Zagg shield on the front. I took the screen protector off because the feeling bugged the crap out of me, plus the glass just feels/reacts so much better.

Still have the Verizon case on though, love the kickstand and use it all the time.

I was a fan of zagg invisible shields in the past but hated the price... found another product on Amazon called xtremeguard... for $2 shipped... it is in my opinion better than the zagg... it doesn't have that "sticky" feel that zaggs do and doesn't scratch as easily as a zagg. It doesn't glare and feels just as smooth as the gorilla glass without it. Just thought I'd let you know... for $2 you can't beat it!

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

#14 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

The otterbox series has all you're looking for except it's definitely not small.
My phone still fits in my pockets just fine. But I'm not sure it'll fit inside normal jeans pockets though. So the phone alone is 8.99 mm thick. Let's say it's 9 mm to be general. The otterbox defender series on the phone makes it 16 mm. That's an additional 7 mm bulkiness to the phone.

Wow that is a big difference. How bout the comuter series. Anyone know how thick it is? And if its worth using?

Posted Image

#15 DonDraper

DonDraper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

I do not use a case or a screen protector on my Razr. I got a cheap Verizon screen protector when I bought it, thinking I would be returning the phone but ripped it off after a few days. The backside of the "frame" or edges get very fine scratches but nothing to really worry about. Screen is still perfect.

A coworker of mine has a Droid -x that he had a Seidio full cover on for a year plus... The phone looked like complete crap because any little piece of dirt or whatnot that got in there would end up scratching the finish off. Lesson is - if you use a case be sure to take it off and clean out the junk from time to time.

#16 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have an Otterbox (commuter series) and I love it. I didn't want a case at all when I first bought my razr, but after I dropped it (thankfully no damage) I decided not to risk it. I like my Otterbox because I still get great protection, without adding a bunch of extra bulk. Don't get me wrong its not as slim as it was before, and much more bulky than just a plastic sleeve would have been, but it is a nice compromise between protection and looks....plus its pink!! :)

#17 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hey roo, is it possible to slide in and out of say.. back pocket? Also are top ports plugged? Thanks

Posted Image

#18 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

I have an Otterbox (commuter series) and I love it. I didn't want a case at all when I first bought my razr, but after I dropped it (thankfully no damage) I decided not to risk it. I like my Otterbox because I still get great protection, without adding a bunch of extra bulk. Don't get me wrong its not as slim as it was before, and much more bulky than just a plastic sleeve would have been, but it is a nice compromise between protection and looks....plus its pink!! :)

Wait... you're a girl? And you like pink? Nowai ... :P /endtease

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#19 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi all,

Long time poster in xda; first time in droidrzr. Glad to be here! Much friendlier here than over there ;]

I have a question for all my fellow RAZR MAXX users.
Do you use a case? If so what type?
Do you feel it's "necessary" to use a case?
I mean, the phone is supposedly designed to be tough and rugged, right?
So do you feel a case is "required" or "highly recommended" to use with this phone?

I'm currently using the Otterbox Defender series but I'm contemplating about just removing it.. simply because the case makes it so much bulkier.

I have to agree with you.. People there thinks everyone knows the phone inside out with all those short forms.. When I first got this phone and tried to root, u will be amazed at the comments many of them gave.sarcastic and not useful at all..

We're all a newbie once.. Especially to a first time Android user like me.

Sent from my Motorola Razr XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#20 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hey roo, is it possible to slide in and out of say.. back pocket? Also are top ports plugged? Thanks

Well...I really wouldn't want it in my back pocket because it would make my butt look lumpy...but if I were a guy with a little baggier jeans (=baggier pockets) it probably would not be much of a problem...and yes, the top ports are "plugged" sort of. There is a rubber hatch thing that you can pop up to charge or when you need access to the ports on the top of the phone. They look, and feel very secure when they are in their "closed" position. I've had it for a little over a month now, and I can't find a single thing to complain about. I really like the inside liner of the case. Its very soft and flexible and rubbery, so I know it wont be rubbing or scratching my phone. It is also as formfitting as a skin on the phone, and this is where the water protection comes from. The outter shell is very solid and tough. I would say a great 50 bucks spent. (could probably find cheaper online if you had time to look around!) Hope this helps :)

Wait... you're a girl? And you like pink? Nowai ... :P /endtease

Haha, go ahead I'm used to it! But at least I didn't buy it just because it was pretty, it also serves a very good purpose! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users