#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

This guide uses my new Utility (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[Full not LITE!]) so before you do anything please download it so it will make things easier for everyone ;)

First lets set-up to stage to make the process easier for everyone.

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Restoring Directly to 6.11.748 using Droid RAZR Utility 1.2
  • Open the ".bat" file in the extracted utility folder and you will open a screen that looks like this:
    Posted Image
  • Put your phone into AP Fastboot mode by first: Turning off the phone. (May have to hold down power + volume down for 10+ seconds to force a turn off). Now hold down both volume buttons and then the power button too (so all 3 will be pressed at the same time). A black and white text menu will pop up. Use volume down to move down the list and volume up to select. Move down to "AP Fastboot" and select it with volume up. [NOTE: You should have a lot of battery power 70% of great before attempting this. Unless you have a factory-style cable unless you want to make one. If Fastboot says "Battery: LOW" do not attempt or you will brick.]
  • Plug your phone into USB on your Windows computer.
  • Type in "1" in my Utilility which is "Restore Droid RAZR to 6.11.748" like in the screenshot above
  • Follow the instructions to put your phone back to 6.11.748 that appear on screen.
  • Go to Settings>Applcations and check the box "Unknown Sources" (Lets .apks not from market install as apps)

Posted Image
  • Go to Settings>Applications>Development and check the boxes "USB debugging" and "Allow mock locations"

Posted Image
  • Use option "2" entitled "Droid RAZR Root for 2.3.5 versions <6.11.744-6.11.748>. Your phone will reboot automatically
  • Use option "3" entitled "Install Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper App" and follow the instructions on-screen
  • Open the installed app (It is a # symbol logo and it called Voodoo OTA Root... on App Drawer)
  • Hit Protect root and then the screen will look like this:

Posted Image
  • Hit the "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)" button on the app as pictured above then the screen will look like this:

Posted Image
  • You may now upgrade to 6.12.173 by searching for the update under Settings>About Phone>System Update or by downloading and installing it via Motorola Recovery on SD card from

• When upgrade is finished you just re-open Voodoo OTA rootkeeper and hit "Restore Root" just like the above screenshot.
  • Congrats you are rooted on 6.12.173!

Feel free to donate to my Razr Dev fund if you wanna help out
  • SpyderMan likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 Jdotcarter

Jdotcarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I never unrooted when I tried this... hope when i go back this is the fix!

#3 ka1z0ku

ka1z0ku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I can speak from experience, doing the temp unroot before installing the OTA is vital. I didn't successfully maintain root without it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
  • mattlgroff likes this

#4 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

I can speak from experience, doing the temp unroot before installing the OTA is vital. I didn't successfully maintain root without it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Agreed.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#5 n.o.o.b

n.o.o.b

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hey,

I am new to this rooting stuff. And I was wondering how would I know if this would work for my phone? I seen other forums talk about Asain, or EU, etc.
I live in USA, and have....Razr Maxx - system version - 6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.en.US (just out of the box about 1 hour ago!)

Also, can some one point me to or make a step by step guide, on how to save my phone how it is NOW, and how to use that as a restore. If I make a mistake xD

Thank you everyone in advance in the help. I how to be able to learn this and be able to help others as well.

#6 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hey,

I am new to this rooting stuff. And I was wondering how would I know if this would work for my phone? I seen other forums talk about Asain, or EU, etc.
I live in USA, and have....Razr Maxx - system version - 6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.en.US (just out of the box about 1 hour ago!)

Also, can some one point me to or make a step by step guide, on how to save my phone how it is NOW, and how to use that as a restore. If I make a mistake xD

Thank you everyone in advance in the help. I how to be able to learn this and be able to help others as well.

I'd be happy to help. Thank you for the excellent question!

The Motorola Droid RAZR XT912 is the US version of the RAZR for Verizon.
The Motorola RAZR XT910 (notice the Droid is gone) is the International version of the RAZR for GSM/UTMS carriers.

Your phone how it is now can be backed up using Bootstrap recovery which is included in my Utility (full or LITE). When inside recovery (after hitting the top button to install it, and the second to reboot into it) choose >Backups and Restore. Then hit backup. A full nandroid backup of your phone (data, apps, contacts, system, cache, etc.) will be taken and put on your SD card under /sd-ext/clockworkmod/backups/. Since nothing should ever wipe your external SD card (or your internal for that matter) your phone's backup will be safe.

You can use my full RAZR Utility 1.2 to go back to 6.11.748 anytime you wish, root with option 2, install OTA rootkeeper and follow the guide here where you replied ;)

I hope this cleared things up for you.

#7 HOGRIDER

HOGRIDER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Just wanted to chime in and state that I followed Matt's Utility (Full 1.2) in OP, manually installed the .173 zip upgrade, and now I'm on .173 and fully rooted!

Matt: Your Utility and supporting files worked without a hitch! Couldn't have been any easier. Your efforts/hard work are TRULY APPRECIATED!

I highly recommend everyone to consider donating a beer or 12 to Matt or any of the developers here that have worked so hard to make these cod-locked phones do what we want them to do within the constraints Moto/VZW has forced upon us.

:D
  • mattlgroff likes this

#8 KingDroid

KingDroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for this guide, works perfectly.

#9 munson101

munson101

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

When I hit protect root in voodoo's app, the button goes blue and root permission and protected su copy available stays unchecked. Any Ideas?

#10 munson101

munson101

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Nevermind...had to reinstall superuser app. Great utility btw. Genius!

#11 n.o.o.b

n.o.o.b

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thank you mattlgroff for your help and answers. I am waiting for my maxx to get a full charge then I will attempt to root it. Then I think I am going to try to use The Arctic for my rom. It seems to be the most stable rom out that I have been able to read about. I manly want to root to use tethering and get rid of all the bloat stuff on the phone since I don't need half the crap they stuff in there! LoL

I was just wanting to make sure this will work for my phone and did not want to brick it. :-)
I will be making a donation as soon as I can ;-) I also will help with anything that I can, Hosting, Hosting Mirror's, etc. Feel free to PM me.

Would would be a good place to learn how to make my own ROM's, themes, and learn to program for android? Please pm me, so we do not get off topic with this thread. Hopfuly one day I can offer something decent people can use ;-) I know one app i would like to try to make is a email client, since I have not found one I like yet.

#12 stephenjpauls

stephenjpauls

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have a Droid RAZR MAXX that had the OTA update applied to it. I just used this tool and.... I now have a Rooted Droid RAZR MAXX 6.12.173.XT912!

Thanks so much!

#13 leetek

leetek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hello all,

I just finished rooting my Razr Maxx, and it worked. I just have an issue where the music app and a "google...main..." crashes. The window pops up and disappears, it happens every time I reboot. I haven't had too much time to play with it, does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

#14 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
Posted Image

#15 bikercr

bikercr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Has anyone downgraded from stock .173 back to .748 (using this utility) without first factory data wiping, rooted then went back to .173 without wiping--and had no problems, particularly with Smart Actions (FCs, etc.)?

#16 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'm one more happy Rzr camper...

I just used Matt's utility to go back to .748 (after deleting some bloatware &amp; making some changes w/rom toolbox for my icons) &amp; got update to 173 easy as pie.

Heads up for the GO Launcher EX user community: after finishing a successful install of the 173 update, &amp; reboot I was prompted to choose finishing the process w/either
GO Launcher EX or Setup &amp; wisely I chose setup, &amp; all works fine - so have a blast, it is great getting the OTA update &amp; still be rooted.

Matt really put in a lot of good work on this util (&amp; a lot of thought - having 2.35 root, the voodoo util &amp; bootstrapper right there made it sooo easy!) &amp; now if I mess up somewhere, I can always get back to stock 748... :D

seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#17 cmk325i

cmk325i

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

I had a problem it said writing cd rom info pre flash validation failure ?? any idea what causes that ?

#18 cmk325i

cmk325i

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

phone rebooted and went back into fast boot mode and said boot failure
Invalid CG OTV CG SYSTEM INVALID SP DATA
Invalid CG HAB CG system status 0x0056
invalid CG OTV CG system

any help would be apprciated

#19 cmk325i

cmk325i

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Trying again and cdrom finished this time fingers crossed !!

#20 cmk325i

cmk325i

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

now its says

invalid cg otv cg webtop invalid sp data
cg hab webtop status 0x0056
invalid otv cg webtop

0 user(s) are reading this topic