• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

I am running 2.3.5 and I don't want to update. When moto tries to update me to 2.3.6 can I refuse it or is there some other way to prevent updates or do the updates occur without my permission?

#2 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I am running 2.3.5 and I don't want to update. When moto tries to update me to 2.3.6 can I refuse it or is there some other way to prevent updates or do the updates occur without my permission?

It might download them without permission, but you can always say "Install Later". It will be annoying though. Change your build.prop to say you aren't on 6.11.748 and wipe data/cache. You won't get notification anymore (hopefully)

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#3 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Change your build.prop to say you aren't on 6.11.748 and wipe data/cache. You won't get notification anymore (hopefully)

How would I do these 2 things?

#4 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

How would I do these 2 things?

Wipe data from my utility or by going to Motorola Recovery (power it on by holding all 3 buttons on the right side) and choose Recovery. Then both volume buttons at the triangle.

Use Root Explorer to edit your build.prop.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#5 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

You could always just delete a single piece of bloat, Verizon/Moto will never let you upgrade! :P

#6 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

You could always just delete a single piece of bloat, Verizon/Moto will never let you upgrade! :P

It will still bug you with it, which I think Pego wants to avoid.

#7 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Asking the obvious question - why would you not want to update?

The 2.3.6 ROM is a serious improvement on the Razr.
  • Pego99 likes this

#8 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Its possible...there use to be a systemupdate.apk (bloat) that all you had to do was freeze, I check and i have no idea what the named it to.

Easier way then matt said, just change the build.prop with a custom roms or one from the systemdump.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

....only problem your have to do it again after the next update :) ( if it works)

Use root browser (free) to rename the original to build1.prop or something. drop the new one in and reboot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

I like mail! :D

#9 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Or you could try this

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

It takes care of the wiping for you. ( Thanks to 24v!)
Just bootstrap recovery
install zip
choose zip from sdcard
choose stop_update.zip
when finished reboot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

I like mail! :D

#10 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

How is 2.3.6 better than 2.3.5? I should update with matts utility and the reroot 2.3.6? Will I have to set up all my screens again?

#11 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

How do I get 2.3.6? Is it as easy to root as 2.3.5 was?

#12 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

How do I get 2.3.6? Is it as easy to root as 2.3.5 was?

2.3.6 roots just as easily via the motofail method. This method is included in Mattlgroff's utility which I recommend using.

As for updating to 2.3.6, there are quite a few changes. Many of us (myself included) have gotten better battery life as well as improved 4G data. Lots of other changes to the Moto apps and system were made as well. I found it to be an upgrade in any way I could imagine it being done. This update is NOT able to be installed via Mattlgroff's utility however. You will need to be on an upgradeable .748 (no system apps deleted/frozen, pre-install folder still in place, etc) and upgrade by either installing in Motorola's official recovery or allowing the OTA to handle itself.

#13 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

2.3.6 is way better with handling data, 3/4G handoffs and 4g reception ....your crazy if you don't take it...and worst case you can fast boot back easily ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#14 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

How is 2.3.6 better than 2.3.5? I should update with matts utility and the reroot 2.3.6? Will I have to set up all my screens again?

It's pretty transparent as far as an upgrade goes. Your launcher screens, settings, apps, etc. will all persist. But like others have said, the changes under the hood are awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users