aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Greetings, readers!

Some new information (rumors) has leaked today about the new Galaxy S4 smartphone from Samsung. If these specs hold out and are true, this phone is looking to only further Samsung's growing dominance in the smartphone market.

In short, this phone has the potential to be a full on Android monster. Here are the rumored specs:

Display: 4.99 inch Full HD Super-AMOLED Screen boasting a minimum of 440 ppi. According to the report, Samsung has been developing diamond and hexagon shaped pixels that could skyrocket the pixel density to, well, a lot. If this holds true, it will top the Retina display from Apple by quite a bit.
CPU/GPU: Exynos 5 Octa CPU/Mali-T658 (8-Core) GPU
Memory: 2GB of RAM
Camera:13MP Rear facing camera capable of filming full 1080p at 30FPS along with a 2MP front facing camera capable of 720p.
OS: Android 4.2.1, presumably upgrade ready to Key Lime Pie.

To add to some already incredible specs, the phone is rumored to use “Atmel's newest maXTouch S controllers for mixed signal input to allow gesture-based navigation throughout the interface without contact with the screen.” Meaning you won;t have to actually TOUCH the screen, just gesture in the area of it.

And important thing to remember is that these are simply rumors. Nothing has been confirmed but we should know something on/about March 15th, when Samsung is rumored to make the official announcement.

Now, I'm due for an upgrade come May and I'm seriously considering this as my next phone after my MAXX. What about you? Are you excited about this phone or are you going to hold out for the (rumored) Motorola X phone?
  • tmyinc likes this

Posted Image

#2 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

The octo core thing kind of blows my mind.... Why would we need that kind of hardware in a mobile device? lol

Looks like it'll be a beast phone, but if the specs for the Moto X hold water, it'd be tough for me to choose between the two.
  • wabmorgan likes this

#3 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

We were saying the same thing about dual cores just 2 years ago.

Heck, we were saying it about dual core CPUs for PCs not 15 years ago.

#4 jto101680

jto101680

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr OG style

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have an upgrade in April. I really don't want to wait:D but I will if it's not to fast off. I have narrowed my choices to the S4 or the Note 2. I'm not crazy about the rumored fee for the X phone bootloader. As far as the M7 goes I was attempting to root an HTC phone yesterday and I want crazy about the whole process with the HTC site. No HTC for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

The octo core thing kind of blows my mind.... Why would we need that kind of hardware in a mobile device? lol

Because we can! :)
  • wabmorgan and jto101680 like this

Posted Image

#6 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

If the Moto X is sporting a Maxx battery then its a no-brainer Im going with the X...I dunno if I could ever go back to a non-maxx battery again

#7 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Or better battery. Or removable battery. I'd prefer removable.

#8 Maxxaholic

Maxxaholic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

If any of that is even remotely true..... I WANT ONE! LOL

#9 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Like the rest..... 8 cores !!!!!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Rootuser94

Rootuser94

Touchwiz Overlord

• Developer
  • 1,019 posts
  • Twitter:@Rootuser94
  • Google+:scott.breen221@gmail.com
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 10.1, Droid Bionic, Droid X

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, definitely getting an s4

Posted Image

Join the Deviant Development Community Online

Facebook - Like/Join us! ||| Donate - If you appreciate my hard work! ||| Twitter - follow me! |||

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Upgrade date doesn't matter as I will pay full retail to keep the unlimited data. I might go with the G4 over the Moto X but certainly one of them.

#12 jto101680

jto101680

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr OG style

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Just give us a darn launch date!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#13 hecksagon

hecksagon

Was a newb once...

• Superuser
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFreeport, IL
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy Note 3

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Looks like it'll be a beast phone, but if the specs for the Moto X hold water, it'd be tough for me to choose between the two.

Octa core is misleading. It's really 4 Cortex A7 and 4 Cortex A15 cores on 1 die. At any given time only up to 4 of the 8 cores will be active. The workload will determine whether they will be the slower but more power efficient A7s or the higher performing A15s.

As far a performance, the current quad core Snapdragons in the Droid DNA and the Nexus 4 are based on Krait. A single Krait core gets around 3.3 million instructions per second per megahertz. An A15 core gets 3.5 MIPS/Mhz. So performance wise it should only be a little bit faster than the current quadcore phones unless clock speed is much higher.

Curiously the current rumored GPU on the Octa is the PowerVR 543MP3, which at least on paper is slower than the Mali-T604 in the Exynos Dual. Maybe this is because quad A15s and the Mali just do not fit in the power and heat envelope right now.
  • Nanniepoo and m0nk3y_ma17 like this

#14 tequila21

tequila21

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

and apple came out with the iPhone 5.... looooool Posted Image

I guess this is the phone that will make me switch from the iPhone world Posted Image

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Read a rumor somewhere, i think droid-life that said the "Octo" chip will only be in the European models. Not the U.S. models.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users