johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes, I know there is a legal gray area concerning this, but more than a few of my movies I cannot download digital versions of even though they say I can b/c for whatever reason the service associated is not working. Others don't have a digital DL at all. Avatar is one of those - I have BD and DVD version in the case but that is it, no offer to get a digital DL.

My ASUS Transformer Infinity has a beautiful screen, and I purchased a pair of SanDisk 64GB UHS-1 micro SDCards, so I have gobs of space (plus I bought the 64GB model anyway - so, yeah , 192 GB of storage). I just want to be able to watch my purchased movies on the go without streaming / needing an Internet connection (For example, I bought the Dark Knight Trilogy, and all three were Ultraviolet movies, so I had to DL them to my computer - And later I'll have to DL them to my Infinity as well).

Anyhoo, I've found a way to rip Blu-Ray to HD using MakeMKV, an I Have handbrake installed, but I'm not doing this for my phone anymore, I'm doing it for an ultra-high res tablet screen. The MakeMKV file is ~34 GB - so, yeah, I want to watch movies, not just one. I started handbrake and left the resolution at 1920 * 1080 and the file size was not going to be much smaller, probably around 27 GB.

So, my query is this - should I make the movies smaller in width / height, or will that affect quality?

#2 ZKK007

ZKK007

That Kiwi Guy

• Developer
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA.
  • Current Device(s):XT912, XT907

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I haven't dealt with high res movies on a tablet, but I have used DVD Shrink in the past (a few years ago) to do the same thing you want to do and have played it back on my 52" T.V with decent quality. It compresses the video. It might be worth a check out.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

bWyLE9l.jpg

Donate? Click on signature :)

#3 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Would that work with BD movies?

I do have a DVD version of most of the movies I'm interested in converting but not all....

#4 ZKK007

ZKK007

That Kiwi Guy

• Developer
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA.
  • Current Device(s):XT912, XT907

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

Would that work with BD movies?

I do have a DVD version of most of the movies I'm interested in converting but not all....

I'm sure if it doesn't do Blue ray there will be a fix/add on for it somewhere on google. I'm away from my computer at the moment but will have a look later on today.

bWyLE9l.jpg

Donate? Click on signature :)

#5 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

MakeMKV works perfectly with BD - I was just trying to find a happy medium between width and height and file size.

I ended up using the same size as the digital Downloads for some of my other movies, and the file size for Avatar from Blu-Ray was about 2 GB. And it played beautifully on my Transformer Infinity.

I think I'm good :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users