• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Hi all, has anyone else received the data usage notification from VZW that warns you about going over the plan's limit? Mine said that I've already used 2Gb with half the month to go. I have the 4Gb plan, so I'm not too concerned. However, this seems very strange to me. I've had smart phones since the Kyocera 6035 phone in 2001, and never went over the limit, even at 2Gb. I've been monitoring my data the last few days.

Since I received that e-mail 7 days ago, I've only gone from 2Gb to 2.227Gb. I have the ICS leak, on wi-fi from 6am-4pm, then drive home from the office, get back on wi-fi at home. The interesting thing is 3 colleagues of mine also received the e-mail, and all of these are 4G phones (2 Thunderbolts, 2 Razr Maxx). I also have 2 iPhone 4s devices and I did not get the warning e-mails for those. Sure, I have corporate e-mail and GMail pushing all day, but I always have for umpteenth years. I can use wi-fi tether, but do not. In fact, I do all of my tethering off my 3G Droid Pro, and even listen to Sirius Radio on it an hour each day.

I don't know if Verizon is making a mistake, or that they're measuring something else that they didn't before. It's not the ICS leak because my colleagues still have Froyo on their phones.

#2 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

You could try turning off all your syncing.

Dumb question, but why isnt your data plan unlimited if youve been using data plans for so many years? I would guess that you would be on an old $5 mo unlimited plan.

#3 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

You could try turning off all your syncing.

Dumb question, but why isnt your data plan unlimited if youve been using data plans for so many years? I would guess that you would be on an old $5 mo unlimited plan.

Not stupid question at all... I switched to AT&T when the iPhone 3GS first came out, lost my unlimited data when I switched back. I can't turn off syncing because they're work-related. I've never gone without e-mail, Facebook, weather, and ScoreMobile notifications in my life... and never received that warning.

#4 knghts50

knghts50

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Google+:kevin.page3
  • LocationCopperas Cove, TX (Fort Hood)

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

sounds like a verizon issue.
Posted Image

#5 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

sounds like a verizon issue.

I agree. When I called Verizon, the lady was of no help. She assumed that their system cannot be wrong. I bet that I won't get that message next month, even with the same configurations I have today.

#6 shaggie821

shaggie821

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

Its not a issue just a notification. Setup up through Data service. U can set limit higher & it wont tell U, but U have used half ur limit so the Data service is letting U know 2 watch it. Dont go over im sure they dont let u now a days. Dam cappers

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#7 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

On our 2 xooms i have set up for notifications @ 50% 75% and @ data limit. All my other lines are unlimited. I cant think of where but on the vzw site there is a place to toggle data usage notifications, maybe yours some how got initiated on vzw end?

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

#8 ltmcgill

ltmcgill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

You can adjust what amount of data it gives you a notice at. I think you just drag the bar up on the graph?

#9 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

You can adjust what amount of data it gives you a notice at. I think you just drag the bar up on the graph?

You can, but sounds like he actually got an e-mali from VZW about his data usage, not the notification from the phone.

It sounds like you're on wifi most of the time so this might not make a difference but 4G and 3G data usage is going to be very different. Basic example is watching youtube videos, you watch a few seconds, and decide you don't want to watch it and swtich to a different video. On 3G, you've only buffered a few seconds a head of what you were watching, on 4G you could've loaded the whole video by the time you switch.

....and just nitpicking but don't you mean gingerbread? The Maxx never had froyo on it, and the Tbolt has long been updated.

#10 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

I hear what you and everyone is saying regarding HOW these notifications get generated. I just have not heard the WHY. I have not changed my smart phone habits. If Verizon says I'm using more than 4Gb this month (I understand it's only an estimate at the moment), then they've been undercharging me for previous months. I did not use my phone any less last month, or the month before.

#11 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

You can, but sounds like he actually got an e-mali from VZW about his data usage, not the notification from the phone.

It sounds like you're on wifi most of the time so this might not make a difference but 4G and 3G data usage is going to be very different. Basic example is watching youtube videos, you watch a few seconds, and decide you don't want to watch it and swtich to a different video. On 3G, you've only buffered a few seconds a head of what you were watching, on 4G you could've loaded the whole video by the time you switch.

....and just nitpicking but don't you mean gingerbread? The Maxx never had froyo on it, and the Tbolt has long been updated.

What you wrote regarding 4G vs 3G makes some sense. Regarding Froyo, I was referring to the Tbolts.

#12 djuniah

djuniah

• Developer
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

As far as the email itself goes, I know that the US Gov has been working with carriers recently to get notifications like that in place. This was done to help cut back on surprisingly large and unexpected bills at the end of the month.
  • jcamel24 likes this

#13 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

As far as the email itself goes, I know that the US Gov has been working with carriers recently to get notifications like that in place. This was done to help cut back on surprisingly large and unexpected bills at the end of the month.

That's true, it's one of those CYA (cover-your-a$$) things.

#14 GeXX

GeXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:gexx

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Under ICS what do you have your data notification set to. It is not the same as verizon is ... Well it is not on mine. I have unlimited data, but it was still set at 2gb for a notification.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vzw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users