~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

the 0.7.2 update cleared automatically.

I did the factory data reset as you suggested (via poweroff | power/volume up/volume down | Recovery | volume up/volume down | factory data wipe), and I've reinstalled RootExplorer, but now I need Rootkeeper to get my root back (presumably, it saves the root somewhere that doesn't get factory wiped). Once I have root I can move the JB update to cache.

I would think that I could use the utility from the first post to reinstall Rootkeeper via AP Fastboot, but when I do it says "Make sure Debugging is enabled on your phone" and hangs. Maybe it is expecting straight 4.04 ICS, and doesn't like my half-upgraded version?

In any case, I can't get Rootkeeper that way. Is there another way to get Rootkeeper?

So did you turn on USB debugging??

Voodoo rootkeeper is in the play store.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#202 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

So did you turn on USB debugging??

Voodoo rootkeeper is in the play store.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I did turn off USB debugging. I didn't know rootkeeper was in the store, that was very helpful.

I was really excited this time.. could I get back to Jellybean?

I got rootkeeper, rooted, copied the patch to cache, unrooted, went to recovery, ran the patch and...

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper". "<huge hexidecimal #>", "<huge hexidecimal #>")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

And crash!! :( Same error.

To reiterate, I've gone from Jellybean to ICS, rooted, unrooted, patched to 0.7, factory data wiped, rooted, copied patch 9.1.4 to cache, unrooted, applied patch and it won't go.

Thoughts?

#203 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Another data point:

Struggling for options, I went to Settings/About Phone and clicked Upgrade. Much to my surprise, the 9.1.14 update went through and started downloading. Maybe the factory data wipe did something?

Anyways, it took a while to download and run, it rebooted my phone, and then it came up with a message "Upgrade Failed".

I am currently unrooted.

I guess another thing I can do is factory wipe (again), and then without downloading anything or signing into anything try the About Phone upgrade again. Other suggestions?

#204 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Another data point:

Struggling for options, I went to Settings/About Phone and clicked Upgrade. Much to my surprise, the 9.1.14 update went through and started downloading. Maybe the factory data wipe did something?

Anyways, it took a while to download and run, it rebooted my phone, and then it came up with a message "Upgrade Failed".

I am currently unrooted.

I guess another thing I can do is factory wipe (again), and then without downloading anything or signing into anything try the About Phone upgrade again. Other suggestions?

My buddy just did it 3 days ago let me talk to him and see if I can get the two of you togrther.

#205 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yes I would wipe and download it takes about an hour to download on 4g 278 meg file let us know
Also this is how it should work downloading ota
Do it now you may not be able to later

#206 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Oooh, this gets me much closer!!

After buying Rootkeeper (rather than Astro), I now reroot, move 0.7.2 update to cache, then unroot, recover, and yay! I'm updated.

However, I try to do the same with the larger 9.1.41 update. Same deal, reroot, copy to cache, unroot, recover, but now I get the following error message:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper". "<huge hexidecimal #>", "<huge hexidecimal #>")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I've tried redownloading the patch and doing the whole root/copy/unroot dance again, with the same result.
Normal About Phone update is still broken.

Suggestions?

this just happened to me. You must not have safestrap installed to get jb update to flash. for some reason safestrap blocks it.
Posted Image

#207 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm not saying you cannot update from cache but I just loss the update on the SD card in a folder like update. Then use recovery mode and load it that way. Its easy. Do you know what I'm saying

#208 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Cant you just put the damn thing on the root of your sd and flash in recovery? Stock recovery.

#209 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Cant you just put the damn thing on the root of your sd and flash in recovery? Stock recovery.

I've tried 2 different tactics.

1) download the update from the web, copy to cache and run the update
2) download the update from settings/about phone, run the update

Both of these fail. I don't think the location of the update is the problem, it's something else about my system (despite factory wipes before 1 and 2)

I have a suspicion that SafeStrap is what is causing all my problems. After I uninstalled Safestrap, I still got messages about safestrap at startup.

If I do a factory wipe, does that remove all remnants of Safestrap from my system, or does something remain (like temp root remains after a wipe)?

What is the best way to permanently remove Safestrap from my system?

#210 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yes, revert back to ICS. Then root. Protect root. DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP YET. That will cause a failure when updating to jb. Install updates. Then restore root. VERY IMPORTANT STEP. Must go to super user and update su binery. Then download a rooted app. Just to check for root access. Then download and install safe strap. You should be good to go. Follow these instructions in this order and you will be fine.

RAZR Max HD running scream'n rear end Fuzion
Posted Image

#211 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

What if you had to turn your phone in for whatever reason can you just use voodoo and unroot then delete it and be unrooted? Or would you have to go through the whole process and just not root?

#212 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

What if you had to turn your phone in for whatever reason can you just use voodoo and unroot then delete it and be unrooted? Or would you have to go through the whole process and just not root?

Realize when you root your warranty is gone and there is no way to rig it so they wiil not know, no matter hwat you do they can see it was rooted

#213 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

I dont think that is true if you fxz back to 4.0.4 you will have a clean slate. I also dont think rooting can void your waranty any more. Flashing a custom recovery can though Im not sure weather safestrap is a custom recovery or not. Tee Bionics had a counter but when you fxz it went away. I wonder if there is even a counter on the Maxx I have never seen one in stock recovery or fastboot. That was kind of my question if you use voodoo to remove root and do a FDR you should come out unrooted on JB

#214 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

I ask the guy at the Verizon store and he told me thats was true after reading this on the other Droid forum
he said even if you unroot got back to stock doing a hard reset no matter what you do it logs that it was rooted
and no matter what you do it will be there
just what was told to me by the company store and read on other forums?

#215 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I wisk I could find the link I bookmarked a few days ago this guy went to the time to totally write out how to root all the steps and link for all the downloads
it was pinned on a site canoot find it for the life of me

#216 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

If there is a counter that would be true like I say it was on the Bionic but if you fxz back then it erased it. I did it on my phone. It really doesnt matter the only reason beside if something breaks I would want to go back is if I sold it which I will sooner or later. People dont like to buy rooted phones.

#217 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

I just read it cant remember where it was either lol.

#218 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

There is a counter on the phone(s) .... if never rooted it will show qe 0/0 .... if rooted it will show qe 1/1 .... if previously rooted (but not currently) it will show qe 0/1 .. .. as far as I know there is no way to completely reset it to 0/0... using the utility to go back to stock it will revert to qe 0/1 .... which so far (as far as I know) has not caused any issues with returning the phone under warranty....

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#219 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

There is a counter on the phone(s) .... if never rooted it will show qe 0/0 .... if rooted it will show qe 1/1 .... if previously rooted (but not currently) it will show qe 0/1 .. .. as far as I know there is no way to completely reset it to 0/0... using the utility to go back to stock it will revert to qe 0/1 .... which so far (as far as I know) has not caused any issues with returning the phone under warranty....

Where is the counter Stock recovery or fast boot?

#220 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Where is the counter Stock recovery or fast boot?

Should show up in the top left corner of stock recovery

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users