• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Should show up in the top left corner of stock recovery

Thanks thats where it was on Bionic same deal it would show if you unrooted but if you fxz like going back to 4.0.4 it would go away if you came back clean.

#222 billyhewlett1

billyhewlett1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yes, revert back to ICS. Then root. Protect root. DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP YET. That will cause a failure when updating to jb. Install updates. Then restore root. VERY IMPORTANT STEP. Must go to super user and update su binery. Then download a rooted app. Just to check for root access. Then download and install safe strap. You should be good to go. Follow these instructions in this order and you will be fine.

RAZR Max HD running scream'n rear end Fuzion

I can revert back to ICS using the utility.

However, from that point I cannot root. If I try using the utility it just hangs on "Waiting for Device". I am in AP Flashboot and I have Enabled USB Debuggging. Note that I can covert back to ICS using the utility, I just can't root.

If I try to get the 0.7 update it says it cannot download it. I can't even use the RootExplorer trick because I no longer have root.

So I'm stuck in ICS.

Is there a way to completely remove all remnants of SafeStrap from my system? I think that's what's causing my problems (when I first tried to root, I ran 1, 2, 3, 4 (4 being SafeStrap) and I think that's what destroyed me). For example maybe I should reinstall SafeStrap and then do whatever you are supposed to do to uninstall it (which isn't to uninstall it, I'd tried that and I'm still broken).

I'd even settle for being unrooted and back in Jellybean again, after days of struggling with this I've effectively downgraded my phone to ICS (which is still better than brick).

#223 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

You need to be booted into the OS during the root process not fastboot

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#224 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

You could always run the utility again to start from scratch and not install safestrap.... then you should be able to root (protect root using voodoo ) then take the update(s) then you should be able to restore root then install safestrap.....if you choose to...
  • justlink likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#225 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Unless there is something wrong with your phone you should be able to root whether it be through the utility or manually. Then you can use voodoo to protect its getting the updates you are having the problem with.

#226 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

it was kinda funny when I went back to 4.04 , having everything installed and rooted I had an error message that said mottorola services were not working and could not get rid of this message for anything it would flash up and go off constantly'
I had to download the updates and do it during fastboot
I read on another forum of a few guys having this problem and to do another hard reset,so I temp. unrooted and did a hardboot
then I lost Voodo , I was like wow now what so I just downloaded it from play store and then was just able to root again so I got luckly I thought I was gonna have to start all over not having Voodo to re enable root so yes all is well, just wanted to let you know if someone else has this issue I'm going to start a new post on 1 issue I have after finishing up I can't find all my ringtones and such.
Do it now you may not be able to later

#227 snowman

snowman

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSparta, Tn.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I can revert back to ICS using the utility.

However, from that point I cannot root. If I try using the utility it just hangs on "Waiting for Device". I am in AP Flashboot and I have Enabled USB Debuggging. Note that I can covert back to ICS using the utility, I just can't root.

If I try to get the 0.7 update it says it cannot download it. I can't even use the RootExplorer trick because I no longer have root.

So I'm stuck in ICS.

Is there a way to completely remove all remnants of SafeStrap from my system? I think that's what's causing my problems (when I first tried to root, I ran 1, 2, 3, 4 (4 being SafeStrap) and I think that's what destroyed me). For example maybe I should reinstall SafeStrap and then do whatever you are supposed to do to uninstall it (which isn't to uninstall it, I'd tried that and I'm still broken).

I'd even settle for being unrooted and back in Jellybean again, after days of struggling with this I've effectively downgraded my phone to ICS (which is still better than brick).

I can only tell you what happened to me with your issue it would hang and do nothing
I had to reinstall the drivers even though I had already installed them before
try reinstalling drivers then another attempt this fixed it for me at least
the drivers can be found with all the other downloads posted here
Do it now you may not be able to later

#228 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Like posted above :) when trying to root, you need NOT be in AP Fastboot.... you must be booted normally and your USB mode set to MTP (not mass storage) ....

jhf.png

#229 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Im a little confused about things. First off I am fine on JB rooted enjoying the roms. My question is about cache when you guys are talking about putting the files on cache isnt that the same as the root of your sd card? I can remember back in the old TB days we used to just put our OTA's or whatever go into fastboot and the phone would automatically pick it up. Isnt that what needs to be done here.

#230 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Im a little confused about things. First off I am fine on JB rooted enjoying the roms. My question is about cache when you guys are talking about putting the files on cache isnt that the same as the root of your sd card? I can remember back in the old TB days we used to just put our OTA's or whatever go into fastboot and the phone would automatically pick it up. Isnt that what needs to be done here.

The cache directory is where vzw otas are downloaded to from vzw themselves. Its part of the system partition that can only be accessed if you are rooted. Ruu's for HTC work the same way as far as where they are downloaded to. But you are right, they are ran through hboot for the update to work. As you can do with Moto, have the update on the root of your sdcard card you can with HTC too. With Moto you used to have to rename the file update.zip but those days are over. HTC you still have to rename the image PG***.IMG in order for hboot to recognize it if its on the sdcard.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#231 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

The cache directory is where vzw otas are downloaded to from vzw themselves. Its part of the system partition that can only be accessed if you are rooted. Ruu's for HTC work the same way as far as where they are downloaded to. But you are right, they are ran through hboot for the update to work. As you can do with Moto, have the update on the root of your sdcard card you can with HTC too. With Moto you used to have to rename the file update.zip but those days are over. HTC you still have to rename the image PG***.IMG in order for hboot to recognize it if its on the sdcard.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks I do remember that now sometimes you had to rename them and sometimes they were already renamed. Also I remember onbe time I forgot to remove it or rename it and it took me back where I started. I tried moving a file to the root of my sd with Astro and it worked is that because I am rooted I also have root explorer. Only reason I am asking if I ever need to go back I want to no how. Someone said there was a counter I went into stock recovery and didnt see anything. I believe that where ut was on my Bionic but when I fxz'ed it went away. Dont really care I would only want to go back to sell and if somebody caught that they had to be looking for it. Thanks

#232 only1battman

only1battman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Transformer Prime

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi, So i was just about to start this process when i ran into a small problem. The Utility simply wont load for me. I have double and triple checked the md5 sum. and i rebooted my computer multiple times. I have tried running the program as a admin, and not as an admin. but nothing seems to fully work. Also my user on the comp is also an admin, running windows 7 64 bit.
When i run normally it loads the daemon and gets to the "batman. press a key screen" but when i press any key that window goes away and nothing else pops up.
When i run as an admin almost nothing happens. i get the "would you like to allow your comp to run this program" screen and i click yes. and then i get an almost instantaneous flash of a command prompt window that goes away quickly.
i have let both things sit, maybe because they were running slow (which they shouldn't on an i7 with 6GB RAM) but still nothing happens.
Its very confusing. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#233 rosebudcassidy

rosebudcassidy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:rosebudcassidy
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr Maxx HD

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Getting the following error when choosing option 2

link_image[1908]: 4759 missing essential tablesCANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
link_image[1908]: 4772 missing essential tablesCANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
link_image[1908]: 5004 missing essential tablesCANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
link_image[1908]: 5007 missing essential tablesCANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

I have replaced both AdbWinApi.dll and fastboot.exe from the dropbox folder provided in earlier posts.

USB debugging is turned on and I have the Drivers installed. After the script fails with those errors it says "hit enter to reboot" and the phone does reboot (so it's talking). Any ideas would be great! Also I did enable debugging with the power button up volume (until vibrate) like the script suggested after first two errors.

#234 RAWK227

RAWK227

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Google+:RAWK227
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

RE: DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.10
Thank you for the above instructions. I am not an expert, so be easy on me please. I rooted 2 previous Motorola phones, but Maxx HD has been the most difficult. I have succeeded several times with reverting back to ICS following the directions above-followed instructions for Voodoo Rootkeeper & Safestrap. Once I updated to JB I would lose root.I gave up for a while hoping that a better option for rooting JB would come along... it hasnt. I did the above again, and it went better this time, but I am now stuck. I cant seem to find clarification on whether I can have root on JB. Can someone help me get to the next step. TY

Verizon
Motorola
Droid Razr Maxx HD xt926
ICS 4.0.4

=====================
Update: updated to JB lost root...I give up...thank you for the replies

#235 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

There is an app on the market called root checker if thTs what you need. Was 1.10 or moto letting you update ota's?

#236 RAWK227

RAWK227

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Google+:RAWK227
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

There is an app on the market called root checker if thTs what you need. Was 1.10 or moto letting you update ota's?

I have root now, followed the Utility instructions above back on ICS, I have followed instructions for Safestrap & Voodoo. I have lost root each time I updated to JB. If it is genuinely possible to keep root with JB, I would like to know how and what I am doing wrong. I have researched this for a while...so many inconsistencies out there online & I dont always fully understand the tech talk..

I dont want to go any further, as I have wasted so much time on this until I can attempt to find out what I need to do.

#237 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

You will lose root when you upgrade .... you must protect root using voodoo.... then restore root using voodoo after JB upgrade.....

jhf.png

#238 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

You will lose root when you upgrade .... you must protect root using voodoo.... then restore root using voodoo after JB upgrade.....

So John do you think Moto updates are working again I have to go back to try and f8x a problem I cant seem to upgrade to 3.12 safestrap. I have the files on my SD but I would rather just use ota's

#239 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have not seen any confirmation of them working again. You could test it for us. ;) Then just sideload if they don't work

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#240 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have not seen any confirmation of them working again. You could test it for us. ;) Then just sideload if they don't work

Ha HaHa guessI could. I just hope If I go back its gonna fix my problem. The guy that couldnt keep root should no if there working or not thats why I asked him lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users