40 replies to this topic

#1 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I've had my Droid RAZR for just about 1 year. It has been rooted about 70% of the time. I loaded both ICS and JB leaks when they came out... and that's about the extent of the story. (Aside from an Asurion replacement for a cracked screen.)

My point is this... Why was my old Droid X so much more fun? (And also more durable!)
It was rooted 100% of the time... and I was on a different rom every week.

I think I have a partial answer... With the Droid X, there were lots of options and they all offered stable performance - usually with increased speed and smoothness.

The RAZR still has plenty of options - I guess everyone is a dev these days - but why is it that I have to be willing to sacrifice so much? Are the stock ROMS just that hard to top? That surely can't be the case... It just seems like a very small number of RAZR roms could be daily drivers... and even most of those require some sacrifice (be it HD video recording, tethering issues, etc.)

I've looked through forums practically all day... and I have yet to find a custom ROM (ICS or JB) that has the whole package. It's a stupid, cliched question... but what do you guys recommend?
I'm willing to give up a couple non-essentials, but i'm really just looking the following three characteristics:
1) Stable - daily driver
2) Customizable
3) De-bloated

Thanks for your help...

#2 Shawn!

Shawn!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Current Device(s):Note 3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Huh I use Jellywiz rls6 and it is great. Also use the Black Widow JB Rom and it is solid. So I am am not sure what the issue is.

Neither have a sacrifice that I have come across unless you mean having a faster ROM with great battery life that is, then yeah it is a sacrifice :P

#3 greek6486

greek6486

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Twitter:@greek6486
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Just flash eclipse, it works better then stock in every way.

• fatmando2 likes this

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Mark you certainly are entitled to have your opinion...and interesting to say the least. :)

In all seriousness, my experience and I think most others is quite the opposite of yours. As far as JB ROM's, we havent gotten an official JB release from VZW yet. As such, it is what it is. I have tried 6 or 7 of the JB ROM's and they all have some quirks, but so does the leaked OTA. It is my belief that it depends on what you require for a DD and if the quirks unacceptable. If you need Blue tooth (as an example) working but its not, well then thats a showstopper.

Everyone has an opinion for a DD, I have been happy with the 2 I have used for that purpose. Find something that appeals to you and has the things working that you need.
  • Thach and slvrbul like this

#5 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Huh I use Jellywiz rls6 and it is great. Also use the Black Widow JB Rom and it is solid. So I am am not sure what the issue is.

Neither have a sacrifice that I have come across unless you mean having a faster ROM with great battery life that is, then yeah it is a sacrifice :P

to be honest, i'm not really sure if I'm going to re-download the JB leak... so i'm actually fine with sticking with an ICS rom.

Jellywiz might be a decent option... I'm just really not into the whole Samsung aesthetic. It seems a little too "cheery."

As for Black Widow... this is from the actual thread and it illustrates exactly what i'm talking about. MMS is a large part of my daily life... bluetooth is pretty important as well. .

KNOWN ISSUES/ WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

Front Facing

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

function will cause FC in Gallery *([In-Progress])*
MMS issue seems to be a hit or miss on some devices ([use GOSMS])
Bluetooth on but not connected = loss of all audio ([kernel related])
Screenshots don't capture full screen. ..simply open and edit/crop ([kernel related])
WEBTOP/HDMI - screen rotation is delayed ([kernel related]

#6 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Just flash eclipse, it works better then stock in every way.

JB or ICS version?

#7 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Mark you certainly are entitled to have your opinion...and interesting to say the least. :)

In all seriousness, my experience and I think most others is quite the opposite of yours. As far as JB ROM's, we havent gotten an official JB release from VZW yet. As such, it is what it is. I have tried 6 or 7 of the JB ROM's and they all have some quirks, but so does the leaked OTA. It is my belief that it depends on what you require for a DD and if the quirks unacceptable. If you need Blue tooth (as an example) working but its not, well then thats a showstopper.

Everyone has an opinion for a DD, I have been happy with the 2 I have used for that purpose. Find something that appeals to you and has the things working that you need.

you bring up some good points... i apologize if i came off as pretentious or preachy. i'm not really sure where this post was going, to be honest. i guess i had hoped that the RAZR would receive the same kind of dev support that the X had, but the smartphone landscape has changed dramatically since then.

because the JB leak (and subsequent leak-based ROMs) contain so many quirks, i'm seriously considering not flashing it. if the fast boot files were available, it would be a different story... i'll probably just try to find a stable ICS-based rom for now. Eclipse might be the one...

#8 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

No worries. I think you will find several of the ICS ROM's also good. Again, its about your need and preference of look and feel.

And BTW, my DX has CM9 on it. :)

#9 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

One last post for you Mark, here is the list of most all the roms here in the forum:

#10 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

One last post for you Mark, here is the list of most all the roms here in the forum:

Thanks for all of your help... and yeah, i've been working from this list all day. going from rom-to-rom, looking for the Goldilocks porridge.

#11 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

LOL. Another route might be to stay on ICS and use xlightwaverx's Dual Boot utility so you can use the JB roms in Safestrap.

#12 txkssnapper

txkssnapper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD, tf300t

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

The biggest thing is that there are very few devs who are working on fixing kernel and driver issues on our phone. As far as I know all of the Roms that are available are based on stock or Hashcode and dhackers aosp builds.

Doing the work that Dhacker and Hashcode do is definitely more difficult, and unless we get more people with the technical ability to help them, we will be continuing at the pace that we have been.

Hopefully the kexec kernel work that Hashcode has been working on fixes a lot of our problems.

#13 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

The biggest thing is that there are very few devs who are working on fixing kernel and driver issues on our phone. As far as I know all of the Roms that are available are based on stock or Hashcode and dhackers aosp builds.

Doing the work that Dhacker and Hashcode do is definitely more difficult, and unless we get more people with the technical ability to help them, we will be continuing at the pace that we have been.

Hopefully the kexec kernel work that Hashcode has been working on fixes a lot of our problems.

this brings up a point that i should've addressed earlier... i do not want to - in any way - sound ungrateful for the work of the devs. We're lucky to have as many as we do for the RAZR... and they do an amazing (and relatively thankless) job.

you make very good points...

by the way, just flashed Evolution ICS and it went very smoothly.
quick unrelated question... i created a new rom slot - and this is not something i'm used to doing. is a 1gb data cache partition too small?

#14 Shawn!

Shawn!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Current Device(s):Note 3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

1gb is pretty standard.

#15 greek6486

greek6486

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Twitter:@greek6486
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

JB or ICS version?

Jb version, update to jb and dont look back lol.

#16 MarkPopkie

MarkPopkie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Jb version, update to jb and dont look back lol.

haha i did this before i received a replacement unit... i think it's pretty safe to say that the fast boot files will show up someday, but until then, i'll probably just do the dual boot option or stick with ICS. this evolution rom is pretty much everything i'm looking for... a few more customization options would be nice. but i'm happy with how things have turned out so far.

Attached Files

#17 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Not sure what else you want to customize, but something like Pimp My Rom from the play store may be the solution.

#18 Punk

Punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm probably about to sound pretty harsh here but the RAZR has no true developers aside from hashcode and dhacker. Compiling a repo, adding scripts and making UI changes does not make you a developer... And that's what the xt912 seriously lacks. Thank god the bionic, RAZR and some other additional moto devices are so similar in hardware otherwise we would not see the kind of dev work from hashcode.

#19 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm probably about to sound pretty harsh here but the RAZR has no true developers aside from hashcode and dhacker. Compiling a repo, adding scripts and making UI changes does not make you a developer... And that's what the xt912 seriously lacks. Thank god the bionic, RAZR and some other additional moto devices are so similar in hardware otherwise we would not see the kind of dev work from hashcode.

I don't think Nitro would agree with this statement. Have you ever seen how many devices that guy supports? How many contributions he's made because of all mods he created from source?

the reason we don't have more people doing what Hacker and Hash do is because most platform devs like that don't want to deal with a locked bootloader and the inability to flash a boot image on a real recovery. The amount of ROMS and support we have for this phone is INSANE considering it has a locked bootloader. You have NO IDEA. There are ton's of devices that are locked that have 0 dev support. Hell, there are unlocked ones that don't have crap. I think those who have only owned a Razr and a Droid X need to shop around the development world and see just what exactly is out there...it ain't much all things considered.
  • nitroglycerine33, neckchop, satman80 and 4 others like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#20 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I really wish you would edit or rephrase your statement, it sounds like you don't know or understand how hard it is for all these guys to dedicate free time, I also think you are missing many people who deserve credit for the very things you are using while your saying this.. Why are you not at DEV status?? Or Donating Status??? If it were me I would say hey, do you guys need a hand? or what can I offer to help out?..

Aside From that I usually say "Thank You" but then again, that's just me always being thankful and understanding...

Satman

Edited by satman80, 23 February 2013 - 05:11 PM.

• neckchop, Rinkle McBally, T3T3droid and 4 others like this

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roms, ICS, RAZR, Droid, Flash, Stable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users