#1 spollock

spollock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter:@247HoldEm
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Let me start off with... I am an iDiot. I purchased the car dock and HD dock for my new Razr Maxx, well almost. What I ordered was the car dock and HD dock for the Razr (not the Razr Maxx). So anyway... returned the car dock as I could find no possible way to modify it to accept my Razr Maxx and still be convenient and functional.

On to the HD Dock. This was an easy fix.

I found an old silicon case for my old Fascinate and cut out a strip that matched the size of the dock's platform. The Silicon is 3/16" thick and raises the Razr Maxx just enough to line up perfectly with the usb and hdmi connections on the dock. So using some rubber cement I glued the pad in place.

No more fumbling to get them aligned

Hope this helps someone...

Attached Files

-Coming to you LIVE! from the 206th floor of the famous Hotel California!

#2 bamorris2

bamorris2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hmm, I must be missing something here. When I went to my local VZW store to buy the HD Dock, I discovered that the same one fits both the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX. The box says so. When I opened it up, it had two adapters, one for the RAZR and one for the MAXX. These adapters do exactly what your mod does; raises it up and pushes it out (for the RAZR).

Did yours not come with any adapters?

#3 spollock

spollock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter:@247HoldEm
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

It came with ONE adapter... for using a case on the Razr. It pushes the Maxx too far out and the connections don't line up. The depth is fine for the Maxx, it just needed to be raised by 3/16th of an inch.

Just thought I would post those steps in case anyone else needed them.

Thanks
-Coming to you LIVE! from the 206th floor of the famous Hotel California!

#4 bamorris2

bamorris2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

It came with ONE adapter... for using a case on the Razr. It pushes the Maxx too far out and the connections don't line up. The depth is fine for the Maxx, it just needed to be raised by 3/16th of an inch.

Just thought I would post those steps in case anyone else needed them.

Thanks

I appreciate the post, just wondering if they forgot to include the Maxx adapter for you or if they maybe changes the design from earlier on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#5 Redflea

Redflea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

So we have purchased two Razr Maxx in the past two weeks from Costco, for my wife and my son.

Both came w/a free dock for the phone, part of the Costco bundle.

The dock does not fit the Razr Maxx properly. There are two issues:

- As reported above, the Maxx sits too low in the dock to line up w/the connectors when you remove the translucent backing plate adapter that is provided for using a starndard Razr w/out a case.
- In addition, the dock isn't deep enough for the additional thickness of the Maxx, and the bulging square area where the "M" Motorola logo sits pushes the phone out from the back at an angle.

My son's dock came w/a translucent smoke colored adapter plate on it (my wife's didn't include this), which added additional height to the lower lip the phone sits on (which lines up the connectors properly). But while solving the height issue, the additional thickness of the backing plate added by the adapter pushes the phone out from the back at quite an angle, which stresses it at the connectors, a bad thing to do to a phone w/daily insertion/removal and sitting in it all night at an angle.

My wife's dock arrived w/out the adapter plate. W/out the adapter, as noted, the phone sits to low on the dock so the connectors no longer line up. Since the additional backplate behind the phone is removed, the angle at which the is pushed out from the back is lessened, but it's still not 100% straight.

Overall, this is just a Droid Razr dock that Motorola is promoting as a Razr Maxx compatible dock, which it barely is...I assume this is the same one that Verizon is selling at their stores for the Maxx.

What we've done is remove the adapter plate from my son's dock, and on both of the docks we've put little felt bumpers (the stick on type) on the lower lip to raise the phone up enough to match up w/the connectors on the dock. Basically same fix as above, just adding some height to the lower lip.

So like above, the phone now sits at the right height to match up w/the dock connectors. But it still doesn't sit parallel to the back of the dock, it's angled outward by the bulge in the back plate w/the "M" Motorola logo on it. The angle isn't severe, but it's easy to see that the phone isn't sitting flush flat the way it should. Connector ports are often a weak link on any phone, and putting stress on them daily basis doesn't seem like a good idea.

I may attack the docks w/some sand paper to see if I can thin the hump a bit to get things lined up properly. But before I do that I wanted to find out if anyone has a dock like this that actually properly fits their Maxx properly, or is this re-purposed Razr dock the only one that anyone's seen/used?

#6 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Mine came with 2 clear plastic adapters. I didn't realize it for a long time. Finally I looked in the box and there was the second one for the Razr Maxx.

#7 Redflea

Redflea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Mine came with 2 clear plastic adapters. I didn't realize it for a long time. Finally I looked in the box and there was the second one for the Razr Maxx.

Thanks...The two docks from Costco didn't come in a box, they were in a clear bag.

Also, even with no adapter attached, the phone is too thick for the dock, so in our case an additional adapter wouldn't help...

If your RAZR fits in your dock with an adapter added, then you must have a different dock....

#8 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

My adapter for the Razr Maxx has a cut-out in the center so that the adapter is flush with the raised area behind the phone. It also lifts the phone up a little so that the plug in's align with the phone. The phone sits straight in the adapter because the raised portion of the dock is behind the thin portion of the phone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HD Dock, 89527N, Razr Maxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users