27 replies to this topic

#21 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

It seriously dumbfounds me that anyone would flash an untested and unkown file to their phone.

:-D :-D

#22 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Too look at this positively, at least we have confirmation now that Verizon does in fact have a version coming :P

True that. I am so surprised that Moto has not blocked me on twitter for some of the things that I said to them today about ICS not having a date for the US but being released in Q2 for everyone else. lol

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#23 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

It seriously dumbfounds me that anyone would flash an untested and unkown file to their phone.

You and me both.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#24 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Not exactly shocking. People have heard of the GSM leak, and misunderstand what it is. They see all the unofficial updates found via Cheesecake used without concern. They see over and over RSD/Matt's utility fixing every problem they have ever seen anyone encounter. Based on that information and not technically understanding what implications SBF files can carry makes people act carelessly. With Android in general we treat flashing ROMS/Themes/unofficial updates/custom kernels/recoveries... a lot of things than can quite easily cause damage to the software on our phones with little to no concern. Not realizing how much work it took to get the community to the point that we are at now, and just following the simple 3-5 step guides everything requires gives people a real false sense of security. /rantover

#25 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

OK. These files have been available for about a month now. They were not posted here because of the known brick risk. If you read the xda thread you would see my posts stating such and even the op with his broken English said it was for engineering devices only. Matt and I looked at them a while ago and deemed they weren't useful for us. I'm glad you were able to recover your device but sadly we still have to wait for a consumer build to leak. As it's still in development phases there aren't any builds rolling around that'll work on our locked devices so far. They may not even exist yet. On an up note, I do know ppl @ moto that have implied that we should see something submitted to vzw soon (the webtop overhaul is one of the hangups) and things submitted to vzw tend to get leaked ;)
  • The Kid likes this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#26 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

OK. These files have been available for about a month now. They were not posted here because of the known brick risk. If you read the xda thread you would see my posts stating such and even the op with his broken English said it was for engineering devices only. Matt and I looked at them a while ago and deemed they weren't useful for us. I'm glad you were able to recover your device but sadly we still have to wait for a consumer build to leak. As it's still in development phases there aren't any builds rolling around that'll work on our locked devices so far. They may not even exist yet. On an up note, I do know ppl @ moto that have implied that we should see something submitted to vzw soon (the webtop overhaul is one of the hangups) and things submitted to vzw tend to get leaked ;)

i've heard there are consumer files around but not anywhere ready for use to say the least. This file being discussed here is completely useless from my understanding as I know someone with and engineering device and has flashed it and it barely lets the device even run. Its a WAY WAY early build of ICS as you can see by the file name with 4.0.1 in it. the person who tried it explained ot it me to the point of when I had my engineering devices back in the day and I had access to all the Froyo & GB builds long before release. And as he said to me this file is worse then ANYTHING we had seen back hen. So that tells me it is VERY bad and not even worth looking at until something newer gets leaked

#27 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

i've heard there are consumer files around but not anywhere ready for use to say the least. This file being discussed here is completely useless from my understanding as I know someone with and engineering device and has flashed it and it barely lets the device even run. Its a WAY WAY early build of ICS as you can see by the file name with 4.0.1 in it. the person who tried it explained ot it me to the point of when I had my engineering devices back in the day and I had access to all the Froyo & GB builds long before release. And as he said to me this file is worse then ANYTHING we had seen back hen. So that tells me it is VERY bad and not even worth looking at until something newer gets leaked

It's an early December build so yeah It's garbage. As for the consumer files I don't believe they've been compiled yet but I could be wrong. GB builds were still being compiled as of a week ago.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#28 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Not exactly shocking. People have heard of the GSM leak, and misunderstand what it is. They see all the unofficial updates found via Cheesecake used without concern. They see over and over RSD/Matt's utility fixing every problem they have ever seen anyone encounter. Based on that information and not technically understanding what implications SBF files can carry makes people act carelessly. With Android in general we treat flashing ROMS/Themes/unofficial updates/custom kernels/recoveries... a lot of things than can quite easily cause damage to the software on our phones with little to no concern. Not realizing how much work it took to get the community to the point that we are at now, and just following the simple 3-5 step guides everything requires gives people a real false sense of security. /rantover

Yeah i guess since people somehow don't see the giant red "never use with lower than 70% battery" all the time it shouldn't be that surprising.

Sent From Optimus Prime
  • The Kid likes this

:-D :-D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users