761 replies to this topic

#301 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,514 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

Some people have claimed to have run it successfully on the latest update.  What error do you get when you try to root with it?

Non potest esse nisi unus

#302 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

We have our own thread for bootloader unlocking.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

You need root first, but then Motoapocalypse is the exploit to unlock the bootloader. If you've taken the latest updates on the M or HD, the window of opportunity to unlock is closed.

How the crap did I overlook that thread LOL .... I'm going back to bed

.... telekinectically tapped ....

• SamuriHL likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#303 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

motochopper no longer gives root after latest update. back to no root :(

I didn't bother with Motochopper. Run update, reflash TWRP, download SuperSu, boot into recovery and flash it. Back to root. Instantly. 

• geekabilly likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#304 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,514 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

I didn't bother with Motochopper. Run update, reflash TWRP, download SuperSu, boot into recovery and flash it. Back to root. Instantly. 

CAVEAT: You MUST already be unlocked for that to work.

• tucstwo likes this

#305 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

CAVEAT: You MUST already be unlocked for that to work.

Indeed, that is the assumption. I am assuming that one would have at least unlocked their bootloader before taking an OTA that may potentially patch it. But again, assumption. On that note,  Just a warning to anyone...UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADERS NOW! There will most likely be no more convoluted root hacks from

now that he's offered us bootloader unlock (and essentially root access forever).

• geekabilly and SamuriHL like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#306 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,514 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

For the record, that's how I re-rooted, as well, and will continue to do so going forward.  It's very simple.

• tucstwo likes this

#307 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

How the crap did I overlook that thread LOL .... I'm going back to bed

.... telekinectically tapped ....

mostly because it is not where you would expect it to be maybe?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#308 asifsajjad786

asifsajjad786

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:asifsajjad786
  • Google+:asifsajjad786
  • LocationGujranwala, Pakistan
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Atrix HD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

We have our own thread for bootloader unlocking.

You need root first, but then Motoapocalypse is the exploit to unlock the bootloader.  If you've taken the latest updates on the M or HD, the window of opportunity to unlock is closed. 

Thanks 

. You made my day :)

• johnthehillbilly and livinginkaos like this

#309 EdwardCaine

EdwardCaine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thank you for the time you spent putting this together.

• johnthehillbilly and livinginkaos like this

#310 tigerfaninnc

tigerfaninnc

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:Tigerfaninnc
  • LocationAsheville, NC
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr HD, Asus TF700, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Kindle Fire

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Some people have claimed to have run it successfully on the latest update.  What error do you get when you try to root with it?

Not for me either. Failing after it pushes root tools successfully, then rooting, take a few minutes, FAILURE, cleaning up...sigh. For thr record my update came in this morning. I was not rooted before, first time with my Razr Maxx HD. Have successfully rooted my galaxy tab, and TF700.

#311 Deacon2Russia

Deacon2Russia

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yep.  Lost root following latest OTA update to build 98.18.78 from Verizon for the Razr M.  Confirmed Motochopper exploit will no longer work.  Will see if a new exploit can be found in the coming week or 2, if not, I'll flash back to the factory ROM with RSD Lite.

#312 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Not for me either. Failing after it pushes root tools successfully, then rooting, take a few minutes, FAILURE, cleaning up...sigh. For thr record my update came in this morning. I was not rooted before, first time with my Razr Maxx HD. Have successfully rooted my galaxy tab, and TF700.

Yep.  Lost root following latest OTA update to build 98.18.78 from Verizon for the Razr M.  Confirmed Motochopper exploit will no longer work.  Will see if a new exploit can be found in the coming week or 2, if not, I'll flash back to the factory ROM with RSD Lite.

Do either one of you have an unlocked bootloader?  If you do, you can flash a SU .zip in recovery and it will root you.  If you're not unlocked, then you'll have to wait to see if they come up with new exploit.  

Deacon, if you're not unlocked, you can't flash back to the previous OTA. 

• neckchop and Deacon2Russia like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#313 phosphor112

phosphor112

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Device(s):Atrix HD

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

I may have missed it as I skimmed through this thread, but how would I go about REMOVING the root access?

My battery is dying at a significant rate, and I'd like to swap it in before my warranty runs out. Any easy way to do that? This is my first phone and I'm not quite familiar with these things. Am I just able to get any "root remover" and use it?

Thanks!

#314 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

Techinically this is the wrong thread but anyway :) Go here

and get the unroot tool.... Or get the appropriate utility for your phone and "nuke and repave" :) (Also available at that link) :) ... telekinectically tapping, tenaciously traversing the terrain...

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#315 Deacon2Russia

Deacon2Russia

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

Do either one of you have an unlocked bootloader?  If you do, you can flash a SU .zip in recovery and it will root you.  If you're not unlocked, then you'll have to wait to see if they come up with new exploit.  

Deacon, if you're not unlocked, you can't flash back to the previous OTA. 

Thank you, Rik.  You are correct.  I do not have an unlocked bootloader.  I wanted/needed root so I could run Titanium Backup.  It allowed me to freeze bloatware which removed it from the app window.  This was sufficient for my needs.  Curious, I will not be able to use RSD Lite to return to stock?  I may try doing so to satisfy my curiosity (don't care what it does to the phone if it fails).  Regardless, I'll continue to monitor the forums to see if a new exploit is found.  Thanks.

#316 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

With a locked boot loader, you shouldn't be able to RSD back. Before you attempt to flash back, make sure you have a current FXZ so you can recover if something bad happens.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#317 vamp2613

vamp2613

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

hey guys, so i have root on 4.1.2  and update 9.16.6, razr maxx hd. i tried to install the update but i got update failed. it downloads just fine but wont install. so does anyone here know if i need to unroot the phone then install update? or do i just wait for another exploit to update my phone....or would that even work?

#318 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,514 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

With a locked boot loader, you shouldn't be able to RSD back. Before you attempt to flash back, make sure you have a current FXZ so you can recover if something bad happens.

Just an FYI on this...even WITH an unlocked bootloader it'll fail.  The TZ partition has been updated in the latest update so when you FXZ (fastboot) back to a previous version, the TZ partition fails early in the process and leaves you in a nasty little AP Fastboot error.  I've successfully downgraded by rewriting the FXZ xml script to take out the TZ partition flashing (there's 2 lines for it).  I assume that'll still only work on an unlocked phone since the GP_MAIN partition was also updated which will cause a locked phone to fail.

• RikRong likes this

#319 phosphor112

phosphor112

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Device(s):Atrix HD

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Just an FYI on this...even WITH an unlocked bootloader it'll fail.  The TZ partition has been updated in the latest update so when you FXZ (fastboot) back to a previous version, the TZ partition fails early in the process and leaves you in a nasty little AP Fastboot error.  I've successfully downgraded by rewriting the FXZ xml script to take out the TZ partition flashing (there's 2 lines for it).  I assume that'll still only work on an unlocked phone since the GP_MAIN partition was also updated which will cause a locked phone to fail.

Uh oh. So I have to unlock the boot loader, then do a certain downgrade? Is that hard to do? Can you PM me or point me to the right thread so I don't derail this thread any further?

EDIT: I've got my bootloader unlocked. I just need to deal with this TZ partition now.

#320 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,514 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Uh oh. So I have to unlock the boot loader, then do a certain downgrade? Is that hard to do? Can you PM me or point me to the right thread so I don't derail this thread any further?

EDIT: I've got my bootloader unlocked. I just need to deal with this TZ partition now.

As I said, you have to edit the xml file in the FXZ and remove the TZ lines.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users