phosphor112

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Device(s):Atrix HD

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

As I said, you have to edit the xml file in the FXZ and remove the TZ lines.

I have no idea how to do this. Lol. "FXZ" and "TZ" are two things I have no idea about. I think, for my next phone, I'll avoid Motorola, haha.

Mind pointing me in the right direction on what and where the file is and what two lines I need to remove?

Thanks.

#322 AzulIllusion

AzulIllusion

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

After publishing yesterday's Motorola bootloader unlock tool, I feel bad that some people are running the unrooted 4.1.2 build for Razr HD. Let's fix that.

This exploit will root the Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD, Atrix HD, Photon Q, and Razr M, regardless of what build they're running. While these are the only supported Motorola devices, it will also root lots of other non-Motorola devices...feel free to try it and see. ;-)

But first, I thought I'd reflect a bit on the state of the rooting/modding community and my involvement in it. I published my first Android root exploit almost two years ago for the Droid 3 (it also re-rooted a number of other earlier devices). Since then, I've rooted every major Motorola device that's been released, including the Bionic, Razr (multiple times), Droid 4, Xoom 2, Atrix HD (multiple times), Razr HD, and Razr M. With the release of this exploit, every major Motorola device in existence has a viable public root method, and the most recent models now have an unlocked bootloader.

I see this as the end of an era for Motorola rooting and modding. At this point, it is significantly more difficult to find vulnerabilities that may be used to root Motorola devices than when I started two years ago, due to fixes for the all the bugs used in previous exploits. It has gotten to the point where there may not be a "next time" for publishing a Motorola root exploit. Of course vulnerabilities still exist, but as the pool of bugs shrinks, the number of people capable of finding them grows smaller and the time investment required increases. As a result, I have no plans to continue publishing Motorola root exploits after this release.

I have hopes that the acquisition of Motorola by Google will gradually lead to changes in policy allowing more open devices. If it doesn't, I encourage everyone to speak with your wallets when purchasing your devices: if an unlocked device is important to you, buy an unlocked device instead of expecting someone to accomplish a difficult hack.

The Motochopper exploit is attached to this thread. It may be used as follows:

• Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
  • If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Motorola USB drivers available for your phone.
  • Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
  • If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#323 AzulIllusion

AzulIllusion

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

After publishing yesterday's Motorola bootloader unlock tool, I feel bad that some people are running the unrooted 4.1.2 build for Razr HD. Let's fix that.

This exploit will root the Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD, Atrix HD, Photon Q, and Razr M, regardless of what build they're running. While these are the only supported Motorola devices, it will also root lots of other non-Motorola devices...feel free to try it and see. ;-)

But first, I thought I'd reflect a bit on the state of the rooting/modding community and my involvement in it. I published my first Android root exploit almost two years ago for the Droid 3 (it also re-rooted a number of other earlier devices). Since then, I've rooted every major Motorola device that's been released, including the Bionic, Razr (multiple times), Droid 4, Xoom 2, Atrix HD (multiple times), Razr HD, and Razr M. With the release of this exploit, every major Motorola device in existence has a viable public root method, and the most recent models now have an unlocked bootloader.

I see this as the end of an era for Motorola rooting and modding. At this point, it is significantly more difficult to find vulnerabilities that may be used to root Motorola devices than when I started two years ago, due to fixes for the all the bugs used in previous exploits. It has gotten to the point where there may not be a "next time" for publishing a Motorola root exploit. Of course vulnerabilities still exist, but as the pool of bugs shrinks, the number of people capable of finding them grows smaller and the time investment required increases. As a result, I have no plans to continue publishing Motorola root exploits after this release.

I have hopes that the acquisition of Motorola by Google will gradually lead to changes in policy allowing more open devices. If it doesn't, I encourage everyone to speak with your wallets when purchasing your devices: if an unlocked device is important to you, buy an unlocked device instead of expecting someone to accomplish a difficult hack.

The Motochopper exploit is attached to this thread. It may be used as follows:

• Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
  • If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Motorola USB drivers available for your phone.
  • Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
  • If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

#324 recDNA

recDNA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

So there is no way to root a locked phone that was never rooted before once ota is installed?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#325 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

So there is no way to root a locked phone that was never rooted before once ota is installed?

At this point we don't know. There is a good chance since people kept root when installing the OTA. Give it a go. Worse case root will fail.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#326 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

I had FXZ'd to MR2, restored stock recovery, used the root removal tool of Matt's just for testing, took the 9.18.79 update then 

rebooted.  Applied Motochopper successfully, tested with root checker, then reinstalled TWRP.  I did this just to test for rootability as I have a Dev edition and would be able to reroot regardless through recovery, so I wasn't worried.  It passed for me, but there have been reports that others have not.  Like Memnoch mentions, worst case it fails and you are no worse off.  

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#327 recDNA

recDNA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

At this point we don't know. There is a good chance since people kept root when installing the OTA. Give it a go. Worse case root will fail.

Thanks, no hurry. I'll watch thread and see what others report first. If I got into trouble I'm not tech savy enough to fix it. Eventually people will report on it.

#328 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,515 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Wondering if it fails on the newer build that upgrades MR4?

Non potest esse nisi unus

#329 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Sam Im rooted un locked do we even need to get ota what does it do? I know we will probably need to get 4.2.2 but f9or now what is the point?

#330 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,515 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

New radios.

#331 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Are they any better than the old ones will someone make flashable ones maybe since were unlocked.

#332 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,515 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't know about flashable ones.  For a lot of people, yes, better than the old ones.  There are threads on the update.  I highly recommend taking a look at them so we don't clutter up the root thread.

#333 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

K Thanks

#334 Marco8cipriani

Marco8cipriani

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Does Motochopper unlock bootloader?

#335 Marco8cipriani

Marco8cipriani

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

also what is the best way to disable updates to keep root?

#336 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,515 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

No, motochopper doesn't. I suggest doing some basic reading as your questions are answered.  Motoapocalypse is what you want for unlock.  You can freeze the updater once rooted if you don't want OTA's to get pushed in the future.

#337 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

NO, Motochopper is the root tool.  MotoApocalypse is the bootloader unlock tool - 

Edit- Dang - ninja'd

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#338 Marco8cipriani

Marco8cipriani

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

ok thanks for the info but the link does not work :(

#339 Marco8cipriani

Marco8cipriani

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I mean this link does not work  

#340 Marco8cipriani

Marco8cipriani

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

do i freeze the updater with Titanium back up? what is the file i need to freeze?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)