Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I downloaded the windows 8 comsumer preview the first day it came out. I ran the installer and told it to keep all my programs and files and settings. I never had a problem using fastboot or adb (presumably since the drivers were installed in Windows 7 prior to the windows 8 upgrade)

Anyways im loving it and have not had a single issue with it yet :)
Posted Image

#22 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

I'm not asking u guys to use pirated software, but u could download a pirated windows 7, make sure its the same version as the one u had, burn it to a DVD, and install from there. When asked to enter CD key out product key, enter your original product key, viola.

That's what I did when I lost my DVD. Microsoft recognize your windows as original because your still using your original product key

Sent from my XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#23 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

I'm not asking u guys to use pirated software, but u could download a pirated windows 7, make sure its the same version as the one u had, burn it to a DVD, and install from there. When asked to enter CD key out product key, enter your original product key, viola.

That's what I did when I lost my DVD. Microsoft recognize your windows as original because your still using your original product key

Sent from my XT910

It's not pirated if you're using your genuine key that you bought. A Windows 7 dvd is just a Windows 7 disc (32 or 64 bit) . It's the product key is what makes it genuine and determines whether you have home, and professional or ultimate; and if you already own the key and it's on the original machine, then it's not illegal.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

#24 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

It's not pirated if you're using your genuine key that you bought. A Windows 7 dvd is just a Windows 7 disc (32 or 64 bit) . It's the product key is what makes it genuine and determines whether you have home, and professional or ultimate; and if you already own the key and it's on the original machine, then it's not illegal.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my XT910

Although not exactly black content, it is highly frowned upon to do so. I can't remember how to find it, but MS does has a setup on their site where you can enter your product key and it will allow you to download. If I wasn't at work, I'd take the time to hunt it down for you. The thing that sucks is they make it stupidly hard to find, and the tech support normally denies it exists if you ask them to point you to it.

Edit>
Not the source I was talking about, but I had to hop back on the computer to order some parts from McMaster so I thought I would do a quick search :)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#25 fixxxer2012

fixxxer2012

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

i won't touch w8/metro with a ten foot pole.

#26 sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Twitter:@sgtguthrie1
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

i won't touch w8/metro with a ten foot pole.

I wouldn't either, except I have a mac and I can install a full copy of windows 8 for FREE ;-) I'm not paying for windows 7 to use it on the rare occasion I can't do it with a mac...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

#27 fixxxer2012

fixxxer2012

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

i dual boot w7 & osx86 and thats what ill be sticking with. mark my words, w8 will be a flop like windows me was.

#28 sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

i dual boot w7 & osx86 and thats what ill be sticking with. mark my words, w8 will be a flop like windows me was.

I agree with you completely, but I'm not buying windows :-)

I think the only thing that may save windows 8 would be tablet sales.

I can get windows 8 for FREE though, so i can deal with metro enough to run the few windows programs I must ;-)

#29 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

you don't have to burn the .iso on a DVD, it should also work mounted to the system as a VD using Daemon or A120 ;)

Sent from my DeathSCYTHE..

I'll see you in hell.. where the devil knows my name...

#30 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

you don't have to burn the .iso on a DVD, it should also work mounted to the system as a VD using Daemon or A120

Its easier to so so this way.. Then restart your PC and boot from your DVD. Or, create a bootable USB stick, copy the whole windiws DVD onto the USB stick and boot from USB.

Forgot how I did it, but I learned about it from tech republic. Lots of useful stuff there

Sent from my XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#31 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

Hey give windows me a break! That horse has been beat to death... now we say flop like windows vista lol.
Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!

#32 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

U van also unroot your phone using a app on Google Play and I herd Z4root will unroot it. Plus chances are you will need to be on a clean system to take the OTA, which will be another month anyway.

Sent from my XT913. Using Tapatalk 7 beta 89

#33 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

Its easier to so so this way.. Then restart your PC and boot from your DVD. Or, create a bootable USB stick, copy the whole windiws DVD onto the USB stick and boot from USB.

Forgot how I did it, but I learned about it from tech republic. Lots of useful stuff there

Sent from my XT910

thanks for the advice vash, i'll have to check them out ha

#34 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Seems every other Windoze OS that comes out is a flop. I avoided Vista and I'm going to avoid 8 as well.
Posted Image

#35 sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Seems every other Windoze OS that comes out is a flop. I avoided Vista and I'm going to avoid 8 as well.

Ya, Wind-blows 9 will probably try to cater to those who hate metro. I'm guessing a way to switch "metro" off? Or a legacy mode maybe? I don't really care though, I barely use windows nowadays. I mostly stick to Mac & Linux :)

#36 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'd almost bet the M$ will have a way to run W8 in legacy mode by RTM time, but even if they don't there will be a hack or add-on to accomplish it. I didn't care for the Metro UI at all to start with and still have my issues with it, but it has grown on me a bit. I'm sure if given the choice, I would revert to the standard desktop view though.

#37 blaten22

blaten22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Ya, Wind-blows 9 will probably try to cater to those who hate metro. I'm guessing a way to switch "metro" off? Or a legacy mode maybe? I don't really care though, I barely use windows nowadays. I mostly stick to Mac & Linux

From my understanding, you can switch between the new metro, and traditional desktop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#38 sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

From my understanding, you can switch between the new metro, and traditional desktop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No, you can't. There is a "desktop", but there's no start menu. You have to go to the metro home to find apps, unless you have shortcuts for all your apps on the desktop.

#39 sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

For those who may not know, the release preview works fine for me with all the utilities and root methods I've tried. So if you're like me and have a mac, this is a good way to get windows for free ;-)

Of course, imo only for the occasion you must use a win-blows app...

Sent from my DROID Razr Maxx via Tapatalk 2

#40 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

No, you can't. There is a "desktop", but there's no start menu. You have to go to the metro home to find apps, unless you have shortcuts for all your apps on the desktop.

Actually, there is a modification you can do to make windows 8 act just like previous versions so that you have a start menu and you don't have to use metro.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users