eggkorki

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

What share mode is your phone set to?

I don't know -- how do I find out, and what should it be?

This will happen if you are running 64bit and didn't install the 32bit libraries.

Wow, you're right.  I'm running ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but installed it on my Windows Vista laptop (used WUBI, as the VirtualBox thing kept coming up with graphics errors).  I could've sworn I downloaded the 32-bit version, but it says 64-bit on the System Details screen.  I'm actually surprised; didn't think this 4+ year-old laptop could run a 64-bit environment.  But, then again, I don't know very much about this stuff.

So, anyway, I tried installing the missing 32-bit libraries via the "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" command, but I get this error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Now what??

Just for giggles, go to the directory that adb.linux is in and enter this:

sudo chmod a+x adb.linux

Then try the script again

Tried that, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

#722 xrasimx

xrasimx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBize Her Yer Trabzon

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

live in the dorms. and no internet. How can I root without the internet?

Ne Mutlu Türküm Diyene .!

#723 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

live in the dorms. and no internet. How can I root without the internet?

As long as you still have a wifi network connection, instead of running this command in ubuntu- wget http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare2.tgz 

Go online when you can and go to that link in your browser and the file will download.  Then when you run the root, copy the motoshare2 file into your /temp/share and then continue on with the tar command.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#724 JMT_Cam

JMT_Cam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I just wanted to post my success story here. I had given up trying to get ubuntu to work on my machine, so I started browsing the forums for other solutions. That's when I cam across: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The automated script that this user put together was extremely simple and easy to use. Now I didn't obtain root in my first try, but it was easy enough to reset everything and try again. I am now proud to say that I have obtained root access to my bionic. Thank you everyone who has helped bring this together.

• livinginkaos likes this

#725 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I don't know -- how do I find out, and what should it be?

Wow, you're right.  I'm running ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but installed it on my Windows Vista laptop (used WUBI, as the VirtualBox thing kept coming up with graphics errors).  I could've sworn I downloaded the 32-bit version, but it says 64-bit on the System Details screen.  I'm actually surprised; didn't think this 4+ year-old laptop could run a 64-bit environment.  But, then again, I don't know very much about this stuff.

So, anyway, I tried installing the missing 32-bit libraries via the "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" command, but I get this error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Now what??

run "sudo apt-get upgrade"  Then run "sudo apt-get install samba"  This should fix the issue.

#726 xrasimx

xrasimx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I know little English. If you tell more detail.

#727 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

xrasimx,

Download the file at this link to your phone: http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare2.tgz

Follow the normal directions for the root procedure, but when you should run this command: "wget http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare2.tgz" copy the file from your phone to the share directory.

Now follow the normal directions for the root procedure, continuing after the skipped command.

-Rap

#728 xrasimx

xrasimx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

how will the internet connection between the phone and the computer?

#729 xrasimx

xrasimx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

??

Host IP address: [. ]
Domain name: WORKGROUP
Shared folder name: share
User: guest
Password: [ ]

#730 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Now what??

Just for giggles, go to the directory that adb.linux is in and enter this:

sudo chmod a+x adb.linux

Then try the script again

On the off chance that the adb binary wasn't set as executable, that would have fixed that. If it was present, but not executable, you'd get that command not found error also

#731 Joer

Joer

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I give up on rooting. The wifi connection has caused such an issue for me that this entire process has become not only a headache for me, but impossible for me.

#732 jcadams87

jcadams87

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

i just got my bionic rooted in five minutes on ubuntu 64bit. i just created the /tmp/share and extracted the files to it. changed ownership and permission to my current user. already had samba installed and 32 bit libraries. just shared folder by right clicking on it and used sharing options. connected to share via wifi and connected usb developer mode and ran the script as my current user and it worked like a charm. thanks a lot! LINUX RULES!!!

• livinginkaos likes this

#733 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

how will the internet connection between the phone and the computer?

You need a network connection between your phone and computer. It will be a wireless connection. If you don't have this you can't root your phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  • Int_Rnd_Pooka likes this

#734 xrasimx

xrasimx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

No network connection. Can I do with the virtual system without a network connection?

#735 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

No network connection. Can I do with the virtual system without a network connection?

No, because you need the wireless to connect the phone to the share on the PC running Linux. Sorry.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#736 charliecrossfade

charliecrossfade

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I tried running the run.sh file many times w/o it rooting my phone properly. I did it one last time but uninstalled all existing Superuser apps (had 2 installed at 1 point). Mine didn't start vibrating until right after the first reboot. You just gotta be patient. Make sure your Remote Storage is mounted after the 1st reboot (just go back into Files > Remote Storage> Click on storage you mounted at the beginning)...mine was already vibrating consistently at this point but I did it anyway. Waited several minutes before it stopped. Then I ran that Superuser.apk in the remote storage (once again, it shouldn't/isn't needed, but i did it anyway). Then hit enter a second time on the run.sh script as it rebooted the phone once last time. I let it boot back up &  everything seemed to be rooted properly

I'm Not Able To Remove Existing Superuser. Is There A Way Or Flash With Rsd Available? Thanks For The Response.
matt

#737 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I tried running the run.sh file many times w/o it rooting my phone properly. I did it one last time but uninstalled all existing Superuser apps (had 2 installed at 1 point). Mine didn't start vibrating until right after the first reboot. You just gotta be patient. Make sure your Remote Storage is mounted after the 1st reboot (just go back into Files > Remote Storage> Click on storage you mounted at the beginning)...mine was already vibrating consistently at this point but I did it anyway. Waited several minutes before it stopped. Then I ran that Superuser.apk in the remote storage (once again, it shouldn't/isn't needed, but i did it anyway). Then hit enter a second time on the run.sh script as it rebooted the phone once last time. I let it boot back up &  everything seemed to be rooted properly

I'm Not Able To Remove Existing Superuser. Is There A Way Or Flash With Rsd Available? Thanks For The Response.

matt

Flash system.img and that should take care of it.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#738 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Flash system.img and that should take care of it.

That should really be in the OP and the instructions from the get go. People with a dirty system partition are getting an awful lot of problems from leftover Superuser apps and su binaries

#739 Swerved

Swerved

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

This root worked for me.. Well, it didn't at first until I realized I was an idiot and forgot to turn on Debugging after I had FXZ'd late last night. After I did that, it worked like a charm with Ubuntu 13.04 and VMware. Thanks for the root guys, you rock!

#740 lemonoid

lemonoid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@DoseOfAndroid
  • LocationBoone, NC
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Incredible 2, X2, NS4G,

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

FXZ the update and skip the middle few steps. Back up all your data to your PC or SDCard and don't bother taking extra and unnecessary steps

Yeah, livinginkaos is right. He's not trying to ROOT .246 with this, he's trying to get to JB so he can root that.

FXZ the update and skip the middle few steps. Back up all your data to your PC or SDCard and don't bother taking extra and unnecessary steps

Yeah, livinginkaos is right. He's not trying to ROOT .246 with this, he's trying to get to JB so he can root that.

yeah I'm not even on JB yet, that's what I'm trying to get to. And BTW, this DOES work to root .246 I just found out, by accident....actually I'll keep this part to myself. But anyways, I was having problems installing the .22 update to JB from stock rooted .246 with safestrap UNINSTALLED properly, and I kept getting software update errors. So now I'm trying to FXZ through HOB then take update, but I think I'm just gonna go RSDLite instead of HOB. I hate using Windows, but I keep getting all kinds of issues and I'm very comfortable in this type of situation and environment usually and all kinds of crazy crap just keeps happening. Nowhere in documentation have I found that I have to be 64 bit to FXZ 246 through HOB on Linux. Its kinda funny because you need to be 32bit or have the 32bit bin libraries installed to root to JB.. We'll see if I get an answer about my 64bit problem. And maybe an update to the directions and FAQ noting you need 64, unless I just missed it in very fine print somewhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users