Photo

Lost stock recovery and stuck on 4.0.4. HELP

Best Answer kaos2569 , 29 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hey everyone. I figured out the problem!!!!

I made a charge cable because the battery went totally dead and I figured I would spend my weekend attempting to fix this sucker. 

I used Matt's utility and re-flashed again. NOTHING!!!   I decided to take the phone screen off and disconnect the battery and use the charge cable only and see what would happen if I did the whole process with just the cable-no battery connected. 

JACKPOT!!! 4.1.2 loaded.  Reboot. Check. Boot into Recovery. Check! Everything works!!

Re-connect the battery-BOOTLOOP. 

Thank you Aixelsyd and Tucstwo for the the help and sorry for making you guys crazy! And THANK GOD it was the battery. I was about to stop messing with phones thinking I lost it. Gonna order a battery and get this thing back to working order. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr HD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi everyone. 

I tried searching everywhere and cannot find the issue and fix for what happened- Long story, short as possible:

Rooted stock 4.1.2.  Loaded Safestrap and installed Rage HD rom last week.  Everything ran perfect.

Unlocked bootloader, and left everything as it was. Still running good.

Decided to get rid of Safestrap and install a recovery (TWRP 2.5). 

Uninstalled Safestrap, used Matt's utility (version 1.20) and installed TWRP. 

Rebooted into recovery, wiped everything, mounted system and installed Rage HD.

Rebooted ok and started my regular install of everything like usual ( I used Mybackup Pro for programs/settings).

After everything installed, rebooted.  This is when it went sideways. It boot-looped on the "M" screen over and over and over.( I flashed the logo after unlocking the boot-loader)  Couldn't get back into any recoveries. 

Freaked out, used RSD and flashed fastboot files.  Same thing again. No stock recovery. 

Went back into Matt's old utility, flashed back to 4.0.4 and tried to take to OTA's.  Nothing-Just rebooted back to normal every time it tried to install. Tried doing it the long way with all the info posted here and still no go.

I have all the files needed to get back to 4.1.2 but cant get into the stock Moto recovery to flash. It just reboots back up. I tried Power/volume button combos and nothing.

So I'm stuck on 4.0.4 , rooted, with Safestrap back installed, no stock recovery and lost as can be on what to do after 5 hours of trying.  Any help out there? Sorry for the long post. I'm tired and don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance! 

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

I would use Matt's 1.2 to fastboot to JB wiping data. It looks like you went sideways from restoring data from My backup. I would make sure you are only restoring apps and app data. 

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

You think its ok to make the jump from 4.0.4 all the way to 4.1.2? 

BTW, still no getting into any kind of recovery. I'll give it a shot when I get home in a couple hours.

Thank you for responding.  

#4 RedTerroR

RedTerroR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

You think its ok to make the jump from 4.0.4 all the way to 4.1.2? 
BTW, still no getting into any kind of recovery. I'll give it a shot when I get home in a couple hours.
Thank you for responding.  

Its just pushing the files for 4.1.2 it doesn't matter the size of the jump you are making. The files for 4.1.2 will flash over what you have now and wipe everything... That's all there is to it!

Good luck

Artfully crafted from my Jelly Bean'd Bionic

#5 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Ok small update.

Couldn't go right to 4.1.1 from the utility. Bootlooped and got the error shown below.

I did go back to 4.0.4, got root, and clockwork to install. 

Still cant get into stock recovery to flash the 2 update files. 

And if I try to take the OTA from the phone, it boots up and powers back off in 10 seconds. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files

#6 RedTerroR

RedTerroR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Can you not use RSD and start fresh with the 4.1.2 FXZ?<br /><br />

#7 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

I tried that. It just did the same thing. Stuck on boot up screen and boot loops. It will only take the 4.0.4 from Matt's utility or RSD.  I spent another few hours yesterday and tried everything.  

I gave up and switched to a different phone. Funny thing is, when I went to activate it (At a Verizon store), it wouldn't work. 

I had them look up my account and they said it was suspended. Funny thing is, it was suspended the day I unlocked the bootloader AND they told me it was unlocked! Kinda weird. And they couldn't tell me why it was suspended. No reason, explanation. Nothing. 

Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it very much! Back to the S3 til upgrade time. 

#8 RedTerroR

RedTerroR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

That's really weird... <br /><br />Make sure you're using the most up to date RSD release, verify the FXZ downloaded properly and make sure cables and connections are stable.<br /><br />I know you said you had given up, I just know if it were me, it would aggravate me till I figured it out!<br /><br />Artfully crafted from my Jelly Bean'd Bionic<br /><br />
  • kaos2569 likes this

#9 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I tried that. It just did the same thing. Stuck on boot up screen and boot loops. It will only take the 4.0.4 from Matt's utility or RSD.  I spent another few hours yesterday and tried everything.  

I gave up and switched to a different phone. Funny thing is, when I went to activate it (At a Verizon store), it wouldn't work. 

I had them look up my account and they said it was suspended. Funny thing is, it was suspended the day I unlocked the bootloader AND they told me it was unlocked! Kinda weird. And they couldn't tell me why it was suspended. No reason, explanation. Nothing. 

Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it very much! Back to the S3 til upgrade time. 

For one i'd mandate and answer on why its suspended. There is no reason what so ever they should do that to you.

Curious atm what version software is on the device? Is it still on 4.0.4 after using Matt's utility. If so and you still have data stuff left behind from 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 it will cause it to bootloop on first boot. To correct it need to manually boot into recovery and factory reset and it should then boot. If you are still having issue with stock recovery i'd just fastboot the correct recovery from which ever build you have on the phone atm ( Ie 4.0.4,4.1.1, or 4.1.2 )

• kaos2569 likes this

#10 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

For one i'd mandate and answer on why its suspended. There is no reason what so ever they should do that to you.

Curious atm what version software is on the device? Is it still on 4.0.4 after using Matt's utility. If so and you still have data stuff left behind from 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 it will cause it to bootloop on first boot. To correct it need to manually boot into recovery and factory reset and it should then boot. If you are still having issue with stock recovery i'd just fastboot the correct recovery from which ever build you have on the phone atm ( Ie 4.0.4,4.1.1, or 4.1.2 )

If he's getting that preflash validation failure followed up with downgraded security version, it's an indication that his efuse has been written with a later secure version than the file he's trying to flash. This is indicative of a locked bootloader. If the bootloader is indeed unlocked, then once he flashes the older cdt.bin...well no, I guess on these devices it's the aboot (I think... stupid, newfangled phones), he should have no problem flashing older firmware. People are doing it all over the place now that they're unlocked. I think we need to make sure he's flashing the latest FXZ for whatever software was on his phone. Then we can get unlocked. If you're sure it's unlocked, please post a picture of the bootloader menu so we can see not only what your secure version is, but if you are indeed status 3.

• Aixelsyd and kaos2569 like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#11 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

OK I will post a pic of the screen and I will list all the versions of files I used. 

As for them telling me why that happened with my account being suspended, I was on the phone a couple hours trying to get an answer and no one knew why and they could not tell me how it happened. 

I am charging it back up now, and yes, I have to figure out how to fix this. 

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I'll be back in a bit with my list of stuff and some screen shots.

#12 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

VZW_XT926_4.1.2_9.8.1Q_62_VQW_MR-2_VQW_CFC.xml  - Flashed this one first with RSD and then with Matt's current utility and actually got it to boot into 4.1.2.  (It would boot loop only doing RSD or only with the utility - Did one after the other and it booted up)

When I used the utility to get root, it rebooted and went into the unlocked bootloader screen bootloop.  GRRRR again.

Started over, no go. Boot loops. 

Went back AGAIN with the old utility to install 4.0.4 just to get it working and I got the screen shot from my earlier post. 

Still never got it to ever go into stock recovery.  Let me know if you need more info on the files used. I did double check and the "GETVAR" files were removed from the xml.

I had a fastboot file I used at the beginning of all this, but in a fit of rage deleted it and found the one above. Back with pics of the bootloader screen as soon as I get a charge.

#13 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Boot up screen and Fastboot screen

Attached Files

#14 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I had a fastboot file I used at the beginning of all this, but in a fit of rage deleted it and found the one above. Back with pics of the bootloader screen as soon as I get a charge.

What i just quoted in of itself could be the problem. If you had 4.1.2 on the device and were NOT unlocked and rooted before using that file that could be what got you into this. reason being is 4.1.2 updated to secured version which DOES NOT let you flash backwards like prior updates did. 

Curious at what point did you unlock your bootloader?  

Have you ever manually fastboot only specific partitions of the device before. If so I would try pulling the recovery.img, boot.img, and system.img from the XML fiel yo ujust posted you have no. Then using Fastboot commands in command line just fastboot those 3 one at a time

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash system system.img

Once done unplug it press power button to turn off then try booting into the stock recovery first. If it boots like it should do a factory reset in recovery to then just let it finally do a normal boot

#15 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

BTW when we get this thing up and running again keep in mind to root on an unlocked device you do NOT have to use the process Dan has posted for locked consumer units. All you need to do is flash a custom Recovery (TWRP or CWM )  to the device, boot into it and flash SuperSU-v1.25.zip, BAM done deal

#16 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

BTW when we get this thing up and running again keep in mind to root on an unlocked device you do NOT have to use the process Dan has posted for locked consumer units. All you need to do is flash a custom Recovery (TWRP or CWM )  to the device, boot into it and flash SuperSU-v1.25.zip, BAM done deal

Oh my favorite part of being unlocked. No more damn exploits! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#17 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

I was completely stock and rooted with 4.1.2 and Safestrap installed.  I then installed Rage HD (Slot 2) and made my stock backup.

When the bootloader was able to be unlocked and we could put on Clockwork or Twrp, I figured I would do that. 

So I unlocked the Bootloader, uninstalled Safestrap, Installed CW and re-flashed Rage HD. 

I got it to boot up into Rage, and when I restarted the phone after restoring my files, thats when all this happened.  

I have never manually fastboot only specific partitions of the device before.    I know its going to sound bad, but I am not so good with the command line stuff. I never worked right before.

I have no clue how to push single files. Im gonna google it up and see if I can try it. I cant mess it up anymore that it is, right? 

Thanks guys. I will give it a shot and report back if I get it to work. 

#18 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Here we are going ot make it easy on you. Downlaod this *.zip i post below. Once downloaded extract the ZIP to a drive on your comp. For instruction purposes I'm going to explain like if you extracted the folder to drive D: on your computer. So IE if you do a dir of drive D on your comp you should see a folder called D:\FastbootMoto 

Now that you have the file extract as i mentioned above pull the system.img, recovery.img, and boot.img out of the full XML file of 4.1.2 for the HD. Once you pull/extra those from the XML copy & paste all 2 *.img files into the D:\fastbootmoto folder you have on your comp.

After having all of that done open a command prompt on your computer and change the directory so you are in the D:\fastbootmoto Once you are good with that now power up the device into AP Mode. Once its in AP mode plug it into your computer. Now we are ready to fastboot flash the 3 different *.img files. To flash each one type out these commands 1 line at a time and press enter after each one. Watch the scrren to see it is sending and writing each one. When one finishes go to next file. 

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash system system.img

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• neckchop and kaos2569 like this

#19 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the Zip file!

I just flashed each one and still bootlooping on the Warning Bootloader Unlocked screen after it finished loading. It will not get past that screen.

It took the files fine. I am stumped. 

Attached Files

#20 kaos2569

kaos2569

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

I installed 4.0.4 again, rooted it, Safestrap recovery installed and that works. It makes no sense!!!

Still could not get it to boot into stock recovery no matter what!! 

I did notice that when it is booting up, it flashes that Bootloader unlocked screen twice before it will boot. 

I'm out of ideas. 

I have flashed every file out there and it wont take anything past 4.0.4. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users