Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I have seen a few threads around lately with people talking about the Tasker App. Now that the UI is a bit more user friendly I thought this would be a good time to ask how do YOU specifically use the app?

You can just list the ways or be more in depth explaining how to set up specific profiles.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#2 MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

It is quite involved to try to explain it here.

Go to the developers site and read the guides they have already prepared.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

<a href=

#3 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

It is quite involved to try to explain it here.

Go to the developers site and read the guides they have already prepared.

Thanks for the link man. I realize it is pretty involved I was just giving an opportunity for people unfamiliar with the app to see what it can do. You don't have to go into extreme detail. 

For instance my main use is to have it turn on PowerAmp music player and auto brightness whenever I put my phone in my car dock.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#4 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

I use it mainly for battery/data saving. I also have it automatically launch my music app when the headphones are plugged in

#5 ZKK007

ZKK007

That Kiwi Guy

• Developer
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA.
  • Current Device(s):XT912, XT907

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

Great idea for a thread! I would love to know how to set Tasker up as a security app too.

I've got it set up so when I leave home (based on a cell tower), WiFi is turned off and Bluetooth is turned on (to connect to my car) and vica versa. If there is no Bluetooth connection for more than 3 minutes, then Bluetooth is also turned off. These actions were achieved using sample scripts from the Tasker wiki.

bWyLE9l.jpg

Donate? Click on signature :)

#6 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

New

from today with some good Tasker stuff in the comments...

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#7 mattkilla

mattkilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Google+:mattkilla420
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx xt912 , Samsung Droid Charge (FP8)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Yea excellent idea, and thanks for answering my? . Glad we didn't clog up zk's thread. Im checking out llama right now bc im always weary of paying for apps. But this tasker looks great.

sent from my Droid RAZR Maxxfrom another dimension...
  • Memnoch73 likes this

android-smoking-a-joint-on-white-background-320x-42619.jpg

#8 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'm going to check out that lifehacker thread. I haven't been able to figure out much beyond music app starts when headphones plugged in, decrease volume in the evening and I think I've got something running to increase screen timeout for certain apps but not sure its working right. Still a bit intimidating for me.

sent from my icy Bionic with a side of jellybeans
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#9 mattkilla

mattkilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I still haven't found one of these tasker location apps that will disable background data. What it looks like this 1 will but it could be a bit complicated process. If anyone knows of an app that will disable background data let me know. this is a feature I have found necessary for a plan with minimal amount of data (250mb/month).

P. S. It can be found under data usage then press the menu button. I've tried to create custom actions in order to cut it on and off but i cant find the specific service that controls it.

#10 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I still haven't found one of these tasker location apps that will disable background data. What it looks like this 1 will but it could be a bit complicated process. If anyone knows of an app that will disable background data let me know. this is a feature I have found necessary for a plan with minimal amount of data (250mb/month).

P. S. It can be found under data usage then press the menu button. I've tried to create custom actions in order to cut it on and off but i cant find the specific service that controls it.

I believe you need

plugin app to do that

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#11 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I believe you need THIS plugin app to do that

Actually.. that's not really needed for his purposes..as long as he's rooted I believe.so far the only thing I have needed it for is on 4.2..because Google changed how the display: on trigger works. I use tasker to turn off data for an amount of time,then on for a couple of minutes to sync my email then back off.

Here are my profiles. If anyone wants to use them,you'll have to change whichever email client you use in them since I use enhanced email. I also use Google music as my primary so if you want to use that profile, just change the app to whatever you use.

Sent from my BLU flying spyder that likes jellybeans
  • Memnoch73 and MasterGadgets like this

#12 andrep182

andrep182

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

I set mine up so that it turns on gps when I open yelp or navigation. I hate the gps disabled notification haha

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#13 mattkilla

mattkilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

I believe you need THIS plugin app to do that

I will check this out. Right now im using llama which is new to me but i like it. Im running aokp so no smart actions and i haven't splurged to try tasker yet. I'm sure you guys know this but remember the switch I'm talking about is different than a normal Mobile Data switch. The restrict background data switch will actually make your 3G or 4G signal go grey, and it says it only uses data from which the app you are on.

If anybody can help me on how to directly change that switch in one of these programs that be cool. I looked around a few forums but found nothing. Tasker is like a foreign language to me

I set mine up so that it turns on gps when I open yelp or navigation. I hate the gps disabled notification haha

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent idea. Im gonna have it when maps or navigation opens to do the same and turn gps on. Thanks for sharing

Edit* you have to buy the Pro version of secure settings (1.50) in order for it to control background data. I have UCCW which will do Tasker variables I just don't know what the variable is for that background data switch, if thats how it works.

#14 andrep182

andrep182

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Just FYI I think in order for you to turn on gps automatically you need secure settings

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#15 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Just FYI I think in order for you to turn on gps automatically you need secure settings

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That would be correct and I believe you also may need the Helper app inside of Secure Settings. I have no issue controlling my GPS and I have been a Tasker user for many years.

#16 jtc303

jtc303

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 406 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

give automateit a try

||JTC MaxxHD||
Posted Image

#17 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

That would be correct and I believe you also may need the Helper app inside of Secure Settings. I have no issue controlling my GPS and I have been a Tasker user for many years.

If you convert Secure Settings to a system app you can get by without the helper.  Otherwise, yes, the helper is needed.

#18 mattkilla

mattkilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Automateit still doesn not have the the enable/disable background data. You have to buy certaom features to create custom actions and i dont even know if its accessible then. Its cool app though.

#19 jtc303

jtc303

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 406 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Automateit still doesn not have the the enable/disable background data. You have to buy certaom features to create custom actions and i dont even know if its accessible then. Its cool app though.

would there be a difference between disabling sync and disabling background data? honest question

I never do either so Im not sure..

|[JTC MaxxHD]|
Posted Image

#20 ZKK007

ZKK007

That Kiwi Guy

• Developer
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA.
  • Current Device(s):XT912, XT907

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Do you guys know how to change a prj.XML to a prf.XML? The profile in prj format won't open in my version of Tasker, and when I rename it to prf, I get an error saying that the file has multiple profiles and cannot be opened. Just wondering if anyone has a fix?

bWyLE9l.jpg

Donate? Click on signature :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users