26 replies to this topic

#21 thehappycannibal

thehappycannibal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

Automateit still doesn not have the the enable/disable background data. You have to buy certaom features to create custom actions and i dont even know if its accessible then. Its cool app though.

sent from my Droid RAZR Maxxfrom another dimension...

It does not allow you to disable background data in the paid version.

OT, I know, but I just learned about this feature . . . You can disable background data for individual apps directly from android without a third party app.

Goto Settings > Data Usage.

Click on an app in the list and scroll down, you should see an option "Restrict background data" which will turn off background data for that app when on mobile networks.

#22 mattkilla

mattkilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Google+:mattkilla420
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx xt912 , Samsung Droid Charge (FP8)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Automateit still doesn not have the the enable/disable background data. You have to buy certaom features to create custom actions and i dont even know if its accessible then. Its cool app though.

would there be a difference between disabling sync and disabling background data? honest question

I never do either so Im not sure..

|[JTC MaxxHD]|

Yes the two are totally different. Disabling sync makes it so that your active data connection will not sync all/any of your accounts.. Disabling backround data makes it so your active data connection ONLY updates or delivers data to an active app which you must be on. Normally data will keep updating all apps that are running witg background data it only updates app you are on. There were more options for this on ICS from what i remember. I have found secure settings that will enable /disable but still unable to find a free app that will.
  • jtc303 likes this

android-smoking-a-joint-on-white-background-320x-42619.jpg

#23 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

I use Tasker to do the following:

1. When I get to work (manually activated by a button press), turn off wifi, BT, GPS, background data, and lock my screen (with a pattern). (I don't get a signal at work, so the phone doesn't come inside with me).

2. When I leave work (manually activated by a button press), un-do all the above items.

3. When I miss a phone call, e-mail me the details (handy when I'm at work, and the phone isn't with me).

4. When I am driving, and end a call, press the "back" button to return to the previous app (otherwise, my phone stays in the "call log" screen).

#24 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

I use Tasker to do the following:
1. When I get to work (manually activated by a button press), turn off wifi, BT, GPS, background data, and lock my screen (with a pattern). (I don't get a signal at work, so the phone doesn't come inside with me).
2. When I leave work (manually activated by a button press), un-do all the above items.
3. When I miss a phone call, e-mail me the details (handy when I'm at work, and the phone isn't with me).
4. When I am driving, and end a call, press the "back" button to return to the previous app (otherwise, my phone stays in the "call log" screen).

Can you share profiles? Would like to do some things like this.

sent from my icy Bionic with a side of jellybeans
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#25 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

I have been a user for a long time and have quite a few profiles, but some of the ones posted in the link Memnoch provided are way out there :)

I use this one with some mods:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

It works based on the cell tower you are connected to and then can turn on/off the radios as you need. You can also add gps, bluetooth if you want those going on and off based on the cell tower.

I have created another one to move my personal boot animation (thanks again ZKK007) to the correct location and set the permissions.

I have others as well for various stuff.

Have been trying to create one to take a persons picture when the screen lock is entered incorrectly more than twice but so far havent gotten it to work.

#26 mattkilla

mattkilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Google+:mattkilla420
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx xt912 , Samsung Droid Charge (FP8)

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

It does not allow you to disable background data in the paid version.

OT, I know, but I just learned about this feature . . . You can disable background data for individual apps directly from android without a third party app.

Goto Settings > Data Usage.
Click on an app in the list and scroll down, you should see an option "Restrict background data" which will turn off background data for that app when on mobile networks.

Yes I'm very aware of how to do that the problem would be finding tasker or an app like it that will automatically control it like when I leave my home wifi signal it automatically cuts 3G on and disables background data. The only program I found the far is secure settings and you have to buy the $3 version of the app in order for it to control background data

I'm still using llama as of now it's free and very compareable to tasker. 1 rule that I wrote is when the active app is maps then GPS automatically cuts on. Vice versa when the active application is not maps it cuts GPS off. Llama has a really cool thing where when a profile is activated /deactivated you can have it speak to you. When i open maps "global positioning system activated". When i arrive home near my home cell tower "welcome home, Matthew". Its a pretty cool feature.

android-smoking-a-joint-on-white-background-320x-42619.jpg

#27 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

The profile I just set up was to turn on the hotspot when a charger is plugged in to the phone and off once it is uplugged.  I have a mifi unit I had been using in my truck, but with this I can remove it from my account and save a few $'s a month.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users