thesantorini

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I've been search everywhere for a solution, or at least a definitive "this cannot be done", and I'm at a loss. So I am going to explain what I used to do with the Bionic, and what it fails to do since the JB 4.1.2 update. 

ICS OTA:

Despite being clunky, in terms of tethering, ICS was a BOSS. I was able to USB tether while simultaneously BT tethering 3 other devices. Worked flawlessly and 4G internet was nice and fast between all devices. The laptops were a little slow to identify the internet, but usually caught on after about 30 seconds; the same with USB tethering....but they all worked simultaneously. I did not use WiFi Hotspots with any of my devices.

JB 4.1.2 OTA:

Since I updated to JB (I love and hate it), I have found that I can BT tether only one device. Once that device achieves internet connectivity, no other tethered device will reach the internet. I can still connect multiple BT devices (tablet, car radio, laptop), but the rest of them will not reach the internet once one connects. They will receive proper BT PAN IP address info, however. I have tried multiple combinations as well. I have tried BT + WiFi Hotspot tethering, BT + USB, multiple BT....all fail to find the internet once one device reaches the net. The exception to this issue is WiFi Hotspot tethering....multiple laptops and tablets are able to simultaneously connect. That is not such a big deal for me. The reason I have been trying to find an answer to this dilemma is because not all my devices are WiFi capable, for example: my car, which utilizes BT tethering for net connectivity. Once the car takes the connection, my girlfriend cannot tether our tablet via BT or WiFi. 

I have searched forum after forum for something similar and have not found much. I am rooted. I have done the entitlement hack. This used to work flawlessly every time. Ever since the update to JB, it has not. Something had to have changed in the phone's software. I can't imagine I am the only person tethering multiple devices by different means simultaneously. Has anyone else tried tethering multiple devices, simultaneously, using multiple tethering methods since performing the JB 4.1.2 update and experienced the same limitation, or is this just my upgrade gone wrong?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

UPDATE:

I got on the phone with Verizon and we talked about tethering options. Long conversation short, they ended up giving my account a credit for the rest of my cycle so I could try out the tethering functions of JB with the rest of my devices free of charge, with the option to continue the service next month if everything works out. To my surprise (sarcasm), I have not been able to successfully tether more than one device at a time using either BT, or multiple connection configurations as stated above. So judging by the lack of feedback on the forums, I can suspect I was the only one utilizing the device this way, and something about JB is preventing this functionality...both with legit subscription or hacked. I give up. I'm just going to hunt down a Bionic that hasn't been updated to JB and replace this one as a lost cause. :/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tether, 4.1.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users