34 replies to this topic

#21 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Lol I just remembered double density floppies... this thread is getting so off topic it's funny lmao...

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

#22 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Lol I just remembered double density floppies... this thread is getting so off topic it's funny lmao...

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

It's fine, talking about old ass 'cutting edge" technology is hilarious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#23 Kirbnite

Kirbnite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Deff not getting off topic. As we discuss or memories of old technology, it makes me realize I truly am getting old wether I want to admit it our not.

I will have to say, this is one of my favorite threads I have read on any forum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#24 larrygeary

larrygeary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

300 baud with an acoustic coupler. Yes I am an old fart.

Ditto. Wrote my first program in 1974 for an IBM 360 mainframe using punch cards.

#25 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I remember having a 56k modem but my phone lines were terrible so I was only able to connect at 14k

#26 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Psh you old farts...

I remember being probably around 10 when broadband really started gaining speed and begging my dad "The Cox commercials say it's up to 99x faster! Pleeeeeeeease!!!

And before that begging him to give me an 'Adult' AOL account so I could play Starcraft online... if they only knew the doors that opened... :D :D :D

:-D :-D

#27 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Twitter:@imanotemaker
  • Google+:robertclarkga@gmail.com
  • LocationWarner Robins GA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Who remembers good Ol netzero and bypassing the monthly 10 he limit by registering new accounts.... or Kmart's blue light special... and blocking all the ads lol. Man I did a lot when I was 8 yrs old! Downloading new drivers for a day and yelling at the family for trying to use the phone... picking up the phone and hanging up and mashing a bunch of numbers to kick the sister off the net... *sigh

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

so..I am not alone? Lmao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#28 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Deff not getting off topic. As we discuss or memories of old technology, it makes me realize I truly am getting old wether I want to admit it our not.

I will have to say, this is one of my favorite threads I have read on any forum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

you my friend, are not alone! Will be 40, this month. But I'm not the oldest hear by far, hell.. I just read a post in here where the guy was writing programs for IBM in 74!? Damn!!

#29 quangtran1

quangtran1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like most of you folks are younger than I am. Or at least, I got started in computers a little longer. I'm only 45 but my first computers were the Radio Shack TRS 80 and the Commodore 64. I couldn't even afford a floppy drive then, had to use cassette tapes as storage medium. Remember the "Load $" command back then? My first modem was an IBM modem coupler. You'd place the telephone's ear piece against the coupler and transmit data that way. It was a lot of fun then. I hosted my own BBS. My first smart phone was the Kyocera Palm phone that I had to charge every 4 hours.

#30 trekie4ever

trekie4ever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Sounds like most of you folks are younger than I am. Or at least, I got started in computers a little longer. I'm only 45 but my first computers were the Radio Shack TRS 80 and the Commodore 64. I couldn't even afford a floppy drive then, had to use cassette tapes as storage medium. Remember the "Load $" command back then? My first modem was an IBM modem coupler. You'd place the telephone's ear piece against the coupler and transmit data that way. It was a lot of fun then. I hosted my own BBS. My first smart phone was the Kyocera Palm phone that I had to charge every 4 hours.

And now we are all stuck with phones we gotta charge every 6 hours! Lmao...

#31 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm not too far behind you! But we aren't the majority age I can sure tell you that! Lol and yes I had the 64, Vic 20 as well as the Atari 2600 for my gaming needs..lmao

#32 trekie4ever

trekie4ever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Oh.... word of the thread??

Tron!

#33 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Wow, I'm 30 and was counting on being one of the oldest farts of this thread. Damn was I wrong, lol!!

Sent from my who really cares?? Using NOBODY DOES!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#34 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Heh, yeah I'm sure plenty of people here are older than me :P I am 25, but my uncle taught me the basics of coding when I was 4 and I've been a geek ever since.

#35 Groundhound

Groundhound

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Ditto. Wrote my first program in 1974 for an IBM 360 mainframe using punch cards.

Ooo, painful memories waiting outside the glass room for my output for my Fortran IV class. I swore off computers for a long time after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users