Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

That will really be something if I can get ICS on my birthday (5/21), although I hope they have gotten some of the bugs out of the last leak. My question is, how does this information continue to get leaked? Do people not get fired for releasing confidential information or are people giving their former employers the finger? I've always wondered...

I think companies deliberately "leak" stuff in order to gain public awareness

Sent from my Gummy RAZR
Posted Image

#22 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't understand how so many people buy into these things when they know that soak tests always come first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If this info is correct, the soak started 4/19 and ends 5/17.

#23 Cruiserdude

Cruiserdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Twitter:@andrewblitch

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

And whyyy don't we speak of this app again? Every time we talk about it it's like we're talking about "he who shall not be named..." ... VOLDEMORT OMG OMG I SAID IT OMG! ^_^

Well there's a number of reasons.

1) You can perma-brick your phone or at least take it off the upgrade path if you don't know what you're doing.

2) You can perma-brick your phone or at least take it off the upgrade path if you DO know what you're doing, but didn't wait for a file to be fully evaluated.

3) The app will not make any sense to someone who is new to tinkering deeply with Moto phones.

4) There are people here who merely root and are not comfortable flashing/fastbooting, and those people should NOT use the app.

5) I can't imagine Moto and VZW being particularly happy that we can do this, but as long as it remains exclusive to experienced users they aren't likely to do a major overhaul to stop it. But last time they got slammed, and we'd rather it not happen again.

6) If a ton of people screw their phones up with the app and are unable to recover, then send them in and make warranty exchanges, it makes the community as a whole, and especially our site, look bad.

7) Those who know are fully aware of what app we are talking about, and those who don't know should probably stay away. By the time a user is familiar enough with Moto devices to be ready to use the app, they will no doubt have heard about it, in which case they can ask someone about it specifically.

Lastly, this isn't some big secret that's being kept from anyone, or some kind of exclusive club. Its just that its far more likely to cause serious issues than nearly anything else we do here, and we don't want inexperienced users stumbling across it and giving it a go. So public information is limited, make sense?
  • DarkOverDroid likes this

#24 theycallmerayj

theycallmerayj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

just curious if you could tell me the app you are talking about i am pretty knowledgable about rooting but just go droid razr. flashed OG droid and Inc 2 pretty heavily. I'm just curious to know what it is so I can avoid it.

#25 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well there's a number of reasons.

1) You can perma-brick your phone or at least take it off the upgrade path if you don't know what you're doing.

2) You can perma-brick your phone or at least take it off the upgrade path if you DO know what you're doing, but didn't wait for a file to be fully evaluated.

3) The app will not make any sense to someone who is new to tinkering deeply with Moto phones.

4) There are people here who merely root and are not comfortable flashing/fastbooting, and those people should NOT use the app.

5) I can't imagine Moto and VZW being particularly happy that we can do this, but as long as it remains exclusive to experienced users they aren't likely to do a major overhaul to stop it. But last time they got slammed, and we'd rather it not happen again.

6) If a ton of people screw their phones up with the app and are unable to recover, then send them in and make warranty exchanges, it makes the community as a whole, and especially our site, look bad.

7) Those who know are fully aware of what app we are talking about, and those who don't know should probably stay away. By the time a user is familiar enough with Moto devices to be ready to use the app, they will no doubt have heard about it, in which case they can ask someone about it specifically.

Lastly, this isn't some big secret that's being kept from anyone, or some kind of exclusive club. Its just that its far more likely to cause serious issues than nearly anything else we do here, and we don't want inexperienced users stumbling across it and giving it a go. So public information is limited, make sense?

Wow... that was thorough... it was more of a rhetorical question than anything ... I've got it on my phone and have for awhile ... check it occasionally when I get bored with flashing the usual stuff and wanna have some fun lol

But thank you for the detailed explanation for the rest of the peeps on this thread :)

[ sent from _base2 ]

#26 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

just curious if you could tell me the app you are talking about i am pretty knowledgable about rooting but just go droid razr. flashed OG droid and Inc 2 pretty heavily. I'm just curious to know what it is so I can avoid it.

It's called "that app which we don't speak of". It allows you to troll Moto's update servers for unreleased update pkgs. Since the bootloader is recovery-updateable, and because of the many parameters that must be just right in order to utilize fastboot, and because of the restricted supply of fastboot files, it is VERY risky to flash anything obtained from the app unless you know exactly what you're doing. There are more reasons but they were pretty well summed up 2 posts up :)

[ sent from _base2 ]

#27 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'll be gosh-darned.... I didn't type that lol

I'm starting to doubt that everyone has even been referencing it by that name... people have been calling it what it is but it's been auto-replaced... zomg... mind = blown...

[ sent from _base2 ]

#28 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'll be gosh-darned.... I didn't type that lol

I'm starting to doubt that everyone has even been referencing it by that name... people have been calling it what it is but it's been auto-replaced... zomg... mind = blown...

If I remember correctly, I think there has been a auto filter set up loif not then I think we should auto filter random words lmao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#29 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

If I remember correctly, I think there has been a auto filter set up loif not then I think we should auto filter random words lmao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

.... I figured that out lol i agree 100%. I think thinks like "do we need to wipe" should be replaced with "be a good user, remember to wipe" lmao

[ sent from _base2 ]

#30 ka1z0ku

ka1z0ku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yeah it auto corrects lol. But it rhymes with fees bake and is a form of desert haha.

• joeyx2 likes this

#31 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Not to get anyone's hopes up but my buddy at the local Verizon store in Pearl City, Hawaii said he read that very email and it's not fake.

#32 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yeah it auto corrects lol. But it rhymes with fees bake and is a form of desert haha.

LMAO

[ sent from _base2 ]

#33 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not to get anyone's hopes up but my buddy at the local Verizon store in Pearl City, Hawaii said he read that very email and it's not fake.

Does he really know though? Most normal Vzw reps are totally clueless. I was showing a rep the other day the ICS leak and he totally freaked. He wanted me to do it for him lol

[ sent from _base2 ]

#34 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

This one does seem a bit more legit than the best buy one. But I've been very happy w/ all the roms GB and ICS ones we have been priviledged to flash from our awesome dev community. I'll update it when it comes. But I'm not going to get as excited as I did when the leak dropped.
Posted Image

#35 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

This one does seem a bit more legit than the best buy one. But I've been very happy w/ all the roms GB and ICS ones we have been priviledged to flash from our awesome dev community. I'll update it when it comes. But I'm not going to get as excited as I did when the leak dropped.

Couldn't have said it better. Very happy with everyone and everything ... except of course Moto lol

• DarkOverDroid likes this
[ sent from _base2 ]

#36 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Does he really know though? Most normal Vzw reps are totally clueless. I was showing a rep the other day the ICS leak and he totally freaked. He wanted me to do it for him lol

I really don't see why he would lie.

#37 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I really don't see why he would lie.

True. Good point. Sometimes i'm skeptical when I don't need to be and not skeptical at all when I should be lol

I've just been told that Vzw reps don't really know more than we do and haven't really see anything to indicate otherwise. I'd be lying if I said I never played along and said I'd seen / heard / done something I hadn't to keep a conversation going lol

I do hope you're right though - I'm totally down for an official ICS! :)

[ sent from _base2 ]

#38 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I agree that most employees don't have a clue what is going on but i don't think it's because they aren't told. I think it's because most of them don't read their emails lol. At least my wife didn't...

#39 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Mike you are probably right!

Sent from where I sent it from......

#40 txkssnapper

txkssnapper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD, tf300t

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

That will really be something if I can get ICS on my birthday (5/21), although I hope they have gotten some of the bugs out of the last leak. My question is, how does this information continue to get leaked? Do people not get fired for releasing confidential information or are people giving their former employers the finger? I've always wondered...

The link says that the update size is 341 mb, the leaked update was 458 mb.. Looks to me that they've made changes. Unless all they did was compress the update. assuming of course that this link is accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users