Photo

the Hope for ICS on girlfriends razr Dashed..

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 scottbg1

scottbg1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Greetings.

New to the forum, but not to Android Rooting.

My girlfriend bought a brand new Verizon Razr yesterday evening. She instantly wanted me to de-bloat it as soon as we got out of the store. I didn't have a chance to get it rooted and had planned on doing it tonight.

She calls me about 8am this morning and tells me she has a notification telling her there is a system update available, should she accept? I said sure. I thought it would be maybe a GB update, but as luck would have it, it is indeed 4.0.

After reading and trying to find a solution to the question I am about to ask, I am assuming she is one of teh first to receive it. We are on the Gulf Coast, for those wondering what region we are in.

My question is, will the root process for the ICS leaks work on this, or are we SOL until someone discovers a hack for the OTA?

.EDIT: I was terribly mistaken by the information I was given. The update has unfortunately not arrived. I'm very sorry!

#2 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Greetings.

My girlfriend bought a brand new Verizon Razr yesterday evening. She instantly wanted me to de-bloat it as soon as we got out of the store. I didn't have a chance to get it rooted and had planned on doing it tonight.

She calls me about 8am this morning and tells me she has a notification telling her there is a system update available, should she accept? I said sure. I thought it would be maybe a GB update, but as luck would have it, it is indeed 4.0.

After reading and trying to find a solution to the question I am about to ask, I am assuming she is one of teh first to receive it. We are on the Gulf Coast, for those wondering what region we are in.

My question is, will the root process for the ICS leaks work on this, or are we SOL until someone discovers a hack for the OTA?

Thanks in advance.

First, welcome to the forums.

Second, what's the label on the update? Can you submit a screenshot? Build number?

I have an extremely hard time believing that the unit is pulling down an ICS update without any fanfare from Moto or VZW on ANY of their social networking updates or press releases. If what you're saying is true, I'm partially inclined to believe that somehow her ESN is on the list of test units that regularly gets pushed updates directly from Moto. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#3 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Greetings.

Thanks in advance.

If nothing else, you should be able to protect and restore root via OTA Rootkeeper by Voodoo. Also, please provide info on what version numbers (Kernel, radio, OS, bootloader) that she is showing.

#4 scottbg1

scottbg1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I will get a screen shot when I see her tonight.

Regarding the root protection. I would had to installed that prior to the update wouldn't I? If she has already taken the update, and root is lost. THen what?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

#5 jimyv

jimyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hmmm interesting
Sharing da buzz on my crackflashed rzr jimyv

#6 jimyv

jimyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Regarding the root protection. I would had to installed that prior to the update wouldn't I? If she has already taken the update, and root is lost. THen what?

hmm should have drivers nesesary to root in update??? Which our leaks didnt? I believe anyway..

#7 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Welcome to the forums... I have a feeling this thread is going to get a lot of attention in the next few hours/days. Especially after you post those screenshots. I know a lot of us here are awaiting ICS official info to help us get unstuck from the 84/85 ICS leak

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#8 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts
  • Twitter:afox2015

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Heres the root guide

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#9 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Heres the root guide

Yeah I don't see why this method wouldn't worry. Unless it was a build prior to the 84/85 updates.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#10 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Let us help you help the world ;)

We need to get a copy of those install files :)

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#11 mdowns989

mdowns989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Twitter:@mdowns989
  • Google+:+Michael Downs
  • LocationCentral Coast Cali.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Let us help you help the world

We need to get a copy of those install files

X

AMEN!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#12 jimyv

jimyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Kinda feel like it was born with 173 and 181 got pushed...? Phone born with 181 to get ics in one update ? Or like he said..prepicked tester and got early working soak?

#13 Razrlover

Razrlover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hopefully tonight is soooooooooooon :ph34r:
  • jimyv likes this

#14 jimyv

jimyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yea thinkn im hanging right here for a min...or day lol

#15 etrorteepe

etrorteepe

Not a Belieber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 5

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

There hasn't been any buzz about a soak though yet.

#16 jimyv

jimyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Would phone have to be fresh to have 181? I mean they wouldnt be prepping ours with 181 to push ics to an earlier build......right?

#17 knghts50

knghts50

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Google+:kevin.page3
  • LocationCopperas Cove, TX (Fort Hood)

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

i found this buz that greece got 4.0.4 today

Posted Image

#18 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

.84 and. 85 users could be the soak. It's not like these forums are not publicly available to people.

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#19 blaten22

blaten22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

My device says its updated...running 181 stock rooted.

#20 jimyv

jimyv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

.84 and. 85 users could be the soak. It's not like these forums are not publicly available to people.

X

omg if thats the case .dem f rs got a bit of entertainment at many people's expense ..and created a. Lot of tension for many devs whom WERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INDIVIDUALs ACTIONS..lol thankfully i didnt get here until it was already figured out we were gonna get a sharp stick n the eye..else i would have crackflashed that bitoich and been in a very large sinking boat with so many..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users