itbedave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Google+:itbedave@gmail.com
  • LocationMonroe, OH
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

For the past month or so, I've been noticing my RAZR Maxx has just become complete junk. TERRIBLE lag with even the simplest tasks.  I don't know what exactly to attribute it to. It IS rooted by running the stock ROM still. I've tried clearing data and caches, wiping the Dalvik cache, etc. to no avail. Thinking of wiping it and trying another ROM now, and looking for suggestions.

I run NOVA launcher currently and liked it because it didn't have the bloat that GoLauncher had developed.  I'm open to trying something new though. Thanks in advance.

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

I would use the Utility and wipe it and start fresh.  :)

Moved to Razr General

• cmh714 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 thaijunk

thaijunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

I just wiped and switched over to Rage yesterday. Loving it so far. I recommend you give it a try if you haven't yet.

• jl90 likes this

#4 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Yeah mine is really laggy now too.

#5 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Like a computer, I think sometimes a fresh start is the best practice. I wipe my computer and re-install the OS every couple years. Some friends I know wipe it fresh every year. 

I've been flashing all kinds of ROM's as of late, and I really like the new version of Eclipse v2.0. Its not done yet, but its only missing some of the bells and whistles. Overall its a very solid daily ROM and it runs very fast. It also uses Nova Launcher so you could backup your homescreens and reload them with ease. Just need to backup your apps and it would be an easy transition. 

• itbedave and ibolski like this

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#6 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

I use to flash roms but since I have to safestrap and whatever else...I only root now and freeze apps. Sucks I know

#7 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I love using safe strap, its nice having that security of going back to stock if you screw something up. I also like having the multiple slots to experiment with different ROMs.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#8 RN4Jesus78

RN4Jesus78

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:CorpsRN78
  • Google+:jnordstromrn
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr, Ipad Mini, PC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Can't install safestrap help Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#9 Sinju33

Sinju33

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationGeorgia (US)
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Before wiping, you could try Geenify.

If wiping, my best two .16 experiences have been Rage and Breakneck Blur (Play Store fix found).

Rage: fast, smooth, lots of growth, really well made, good battery life, and incredible community.

Breakneck: fast, smooth, well made, true circle widget/launcher, and incredible battery life. A lot of people left this ROOM because of a Play Store issue, but the fix was recently found. I don't know what the developer did differently, but I haven't found better battery life anywhere else (including stock).

Up and comer worth mentioning is Blurry, but only if you like heavy theme and LOTS of blue. Still in beta.
  • itbedave and jl90 like this

#10 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Can anyone link me to directions on how to safestrap?

#11 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Can anyone link me to directions on how to safestrap?

How to install safestrap? .... install the recovery? Or create slots to flash ROMs ? :)

.... telekinectically tapped ....

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#12 my2cents

my2cents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Both my wife and I have the same problem.  Stock rooted.  Some apps frozen.  Nothing that I didn't do with GB or ICS.  After about 4-6 weeks, it lags bad.  I cant do anything when an app is installing, for example.  I used to be able to text and whatnot as I was updating apps.  Now I can barely leave the play store.  A reboot speeds it back up, but that only lasts about a day...  I might just try bone stock on my wife's phone to see if that makes any difference with time.

#13 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

How to install safestrap? .... install the recovery? Or create slots to flash ROMs ? :)

.... telekinectically tapped ....

Lol see I have no clue.

#14 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Both my wife and I have the same problem. Stock rooted. Some apps frozen. Nothing that I didn't do with GB or ICS. After about 4-6 weeks, it lags bad. I cant do anything when an app is installing, for example. I used to be able to text and whatnot as I was updating apps. Now I can barely leave the play store. A reboot speeds it back up, but that only lasts about a day... I might just try bone stock on my wife's phone to see if that makes any difference with time.

Try GREENIFY. I think it actually makes a difference. I downloaded it a couple or days ago and phone has been pretty speedy. Might just be me but give that a try before going back to stock/not rooted...cuz nothing good can come from that lol
  • itbedave and Sinju33 like this

#15 my2cents

my2cents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

Try GREENIFY. I think it actually makes a difference. I downloaded it a couple or days ago and phone has been pretty speedy. Might just be me but give that a try before going back to stock/not rooted...cuz nothing good can come from that lol

Isn't that the truth!  haha.  That is why I would do it on my wife's phone!   :p   Anyway, I did install Greenify on both of our phones and so far, it seems to help.  I will know for sure in a couple days - if she starts complaining again!  LOL.

#16 itbedave

itbedave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Google+:itbedave@gmail.com
  • LocationMonroe, OH
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I've been extremely busy the past month or so and hadn't had time to do much. But the phone has gotten so bad lately, I had to stop what I was doing and do something. Thankfully I came here first.

I installed Greenify and have to say, SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT!!! WOW!

I can actually answer calls again when the phone rings before it goes to VM! LOL! Prior to now, my phone would ring, but would either not leave the app it was in to go to the phone app, or would go black and keep ringing until VM picked up.

In addition, typing text would lag so bad sometimes, it would be 30 seconds before what I typed appeared. What I'm working with now is 1000% better! Thank  you!

• Ahowe125 and Sinju33 like this

#17 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA
  • Current Device(s):XT926 Razr Maxx HD, Xoom, Nexus 7 (car install)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Something is definitely wrong if it lags that bad. A rogue app running in the background might be the culprit.

I use greenify also, and I can say that I have quite a lengthy list of apps " greenified". I even converted google play music, and Google maps to user apps using titanium backup, just so I could greenify them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR w/MAXX conversion using Tapatalk 2
  • Ahowe125 and Sinju33 like this

#18 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've been extremely busy the past month or so and hadn't had time to do much. But the phone has gotten so bad lately, I had to stop what I was doing and do something. Thankfully I came here first.

I installed Greenify and have to say, SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT!!! WOW!
I can actually answer calls again when the phone rings before it goes to VM! LOL! Prior to now, my phone would ring, but would either not leave the app it was in to go to the phone app, or would go black and keep ringing until VM picked up.

In addition, typing text would lag so bad sometimes, it would be 30 seconds before what I typed appeared. What I'm working with now is 1000% better! Thank you!

You can also use this

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

in addition to greenify ..... this should help free up some RAM ...... (set to aggressive or higher)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#19 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Coming in late, but definitely, a complete wipe of the phone back to stock, with the internal memory wiped as well as the internal SD card, helps. I had my phone running on RAGE for months and eventually, it just got too bloated with all the apps I had installed. Just uninstalling the apps doesn't always help. I also, for whatever reason, had my stock side loaded up with apps. I've since cleaned up the stock side, recreated a new slot and I'm now running the latest Eclipse and it's very smooth. I keep switching back and forth between Rage and Eclipse, but for now, Eclipse is where I stay.

Both ROMs are great, but definitely, if your phone is sluggish and nothing seems to help, it's probably time to wipe it completely and start from scratch. I definitely knew something was up when my phone kept hanging, crashing and rebooting. Since wiping it clean on stock, re-rooting and then going to Eclipse, the phone's response has been phenomenal and quick. Heck, boot times were taking forever. Now that I've wiped it, Eclipse boots up so fast.

• Ahowe125 likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#20 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

I was having real problems with my Razr too, on 4.1.2, or any ROM that was based on 4.1.2, but when I went to the ROMS based on 4.2.2, it helped considerably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users