• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#81 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Roger that over.

I have Moto Razr....I will cut you.
To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#82 Redflea

Redflea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Someone is going to have to explain this to my wife...I promised her ICS today, and she is not a woman to trifle with! ;-)

<running and ducking and pointing finger at VZW>

#83 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Roger that over.

I have Moto Razr....I will cut you.

Lima Oscar Lima

#84 Brailagise

Brailagise

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

november oscar oscar bravo sierra uniform sierra echo lima oscar lima

#85 MkVsTheWorld

MkVsTheWorld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Twitter:MkVsTheWorld
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Which tells me Q2 is bull... And we still have a while to wait

I think we could still get it by the end of the month. We've had so many stable leaks and the last one I hear has little to no problems. For all we know, they could start a soak test next week and begin pushing it out to us before the month is over.
  • saantomoh likes this
Run for your health, run for the rush, run for charity. Sign up for a race near you, you can do it!

#86 bugly

bugly

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@stigbugly
  • LocationTacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

They could... but then again there could someday be peace in the middle east as well. Anything is possible, but I've seen bi red drag their feet more times than not. I just think its time for a new carrier, what with the new data share pricing and all the slow updates... maybe they just shot themselves in the foot
  • joeyx2 likes this

#87 midas

midas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

The Q2 date scares me, let me tell you why. Back in the late '90s I worked for U.S. Robotics. We were in the process of rolling out the first Winmodems. Most of you guys are probably too young to even know what a modem is. But the Winmodem was a breakthrough in technology at the time. It was the first modem to off-load the main processing from a dedicated DSP chip to having that processing performed on the users own computer. It made for a much less expensive product.

But it was the last of our modems to get the x2 protocol pushed out to it. x2 was a proprietary implementation of the 56K modem and the precursor to V.90. But it was released before it was ready. And it was released because promises had been made to release by a certain date. There were at least 3 different departments, including my own, that refused to sign off on the release. But they released it anyway. This was the first time a product from USR had ever been released with even 1 department refusing to sign off. And this one that 3 that refused.

It was a support nightmare. We created a lot of angry customers. All because a date had been promised and they were determined to not let that date slip.

I rely on my phone a lot more than I relied on my old modems. I'd prefer they wait until it's solid rather than release it just to meet a self-imposed deadline. Anyone that thinks they are holding off on this release for any reason other than the fact that it's not ready is, IMO, delusional.

#88 bugly

bugly

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@stigbugly
  • LocationTacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I remember the old 9600 baud modems that you had to place a land line handset on top of....lol I'm old....

#89 midas

midas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

I remember the old 9600 baud modems that you had to place a land line handset on top of....lol I'm old....

Not to get too far off topic, but that was called an acoustic coupler modem. You may be older than you think because I don't believe too many people had them higher than 300 baud. There were a few made at 1200 baud, but that was the practical technical limit on that technology.

#90 Redflea

Redflea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Not to get too far off topic, but that was called an acoustic coupler modem. You may be older than you think because I don't believe too many people had them higher than 300 baud. There were a few made at 1200 baud, but that was the practical technical limit on that technology.

Couple of whippersnappers! I remember the Campbell's Soup Can Modem we had when I was a child. Worked great, but the range was limited to about one house away, line of sight, and if the string got wet you could just forget it. ;-)
  • Gerland the Oracle, DarkOverDroid, syl3ns and 1 other like this

#91 c0ncbn3

c0ncbn3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

The Q2 date scares me, let me tell you why. Back in the late '90s I worked for U.S. Robotics. We were in the process of rolling out the first Winmodems. Most of you guys are probably too young to even know what a modem is. But the Winmodem was a breakthrough in technology at the time. It was the first modem to off-load the main processing from a dedicated DSP chip to having that processing performed on the users own computer. It made for a much less expensive product.

But it was the last of our modems to get the x2 protocol pushed out to it. x2 was a proprietary implementation of the 56K modem and the precursor to V.90. But it was released before it was ready. And it was released because promises had been made to release by a certain date. There were at least 3 different departments, including my own, that refused to sign off on the release. But they released it anyway. This was the first time a product from USR had ever been released with even 1 department refusing to sign off. And this one that 3 that refused.

It was a support nightmare. We created a lot of angry customers. All because a date had been promised and they were determined to not let that date slip.

I rely on my phone a lot more than I relied on my old modems. I'd prefer they wait until it's solid rather than release it just to meet a self-imposed deadline. Anyone that thinks they are holding off on this release for any reason other than the fact that it's not ready is, IMO, delusional.

<p>i understand the concern but i am sure you also didnt have 6-8 months of another product using this protocol, software, idea, whathaveyou.</p>
<p>in some respects the same thing happened with the nexus, it was heard unreliable and was almost concidered beta at first release with ics,</p>
<p>i mean no self respecting person would have given theyre technology enclined grandma or wife or child that because it would have been horrid,</p>
<p>but at the least the Q2 annoucement will put a fire under theyre rear end to get them finish something they started and also promised.</p>

#92 midas

midas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

<p>i understand the concern but i am sure you also didnt have 6-8 months of another product using this protocol, software, idea, whathaveyou.</p>
<p>in some respects the same thing happened with the nexus, it was heard unreliable and was almost concidered beta at first release with ics,</p>
<p>i mean no self respecting person would have given theyre technology enclined grandma or wife or child that because it would have been horrid,</p>
<p>but at the least the Q2 annoucement will put a fire under theyre rear end to get them finish something they started and also promised.</p>

Actually I don't remember the time frame involved, but yes we had other products running the same protocol for many months before the Winmodem version was released. It was the last one to get the code. It's the same general principle, software the same, hardware different.

I also understand the idea that nothing gets done without a deadline. That's common in my industry. But when it comes time to actually ship, you have to make it right. I'm not saying they can't still release Q2 and make it right. What I'm saying is I'd rather see them release something solid than to release something to keep their promise. They can do both. But if they can't, I choose solid.

#93 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Couple of whippersnappers! I remember the Campbell's Soup Can Modem we had when I was a child. Worked great, but the range was limited to about one house away, line of sight, and if the string got wet you could just forget it. ;-)

Ahh, I remember the soup can modems well. Short range for sure, but much more stable data than the drums I upgraded from. Granted the drums had a tremendous range but there signals were always getting crossed. :D

#94 MkVsTheWorld

MkVsTheWorld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Twitter:MkVsTheWorld
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Going off-topic for a second, I remember modems and how awful they were. My first modem was a 14.4 kbps and I could barely use AOL or another other ISP. What was most bothersome about using a modem was my sister picking up the phone and kicking me off while I was chatting online with babes all day. :angry:

Back on-topic, things are MUCH different now than they were when modems were around. Back then, everything had to flashed with floppies if such a problem occurred or it had to be sent back to the manufacturer. Nowadays, it's just a patch sent out from Verizon or Verizon will Fedex a replacement phone to you. So, as long as Verizon isn't pushing an awful ICS update out to us or one that bricks the phone, we won't have the same nightmare scenario as you did with modems before.

But, I'm a bit skeptical that Motorola will be honoring their promise of a Q2 release now. I'm beginning to doubt that promise as I'm reading that .210 has a bunch of Flash issues. Although, I thought Flash was becoming unsupported? So, maybe we're still on?
Run for your health, run for the rush, run for charity. Sign up for a race near you, you can do it!

#95 BoneZ

BoneZ

To The MAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I thought Flash was becoming unsupported? So, maybe we're still on?

According to Adobe, Flash will continue to be supported in ICS, but will not be supported in Android 5.0 Jellybean and beyond.

One of the main reasons I switched to Android OS a couple years ago was due to Flash support. ICS may be the last OS for me on Android devices going forward unless and until websites start switching to HTML 5.
Verizon RAZR MAXX

Posted Image

#96 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Earlier today I got a free VZW text telling me that ICS is coming & since it wont have support for text / or is it mms, I should look for other solutions for that.

Didn't say how soon, but, this is something tangible.

Any one get other similar confirmatory msgs fm Big Red? Anyway, I may wait for any gotchas that will be shaken out of the early adopter tree.

Can't hurt to leave rooted 2.36 & Eclipse ROM for the meantime… it'll just cause the upgrade to fail.

Also, I'd like to know how soon we can expect FastBoot files fm our forums woderfully dedicated devs… .I'd also hope that there would be a FB path back just in case…

SpyderMan
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#97 Drinrazr

Drinrazr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

I didn't get a txt from Verizon, guessing cause I don't use the Mobil IM app from them, which is the app that is not supported by the new update. But, I just read about it on phonearena.com. Here's the article.

If you picked up a

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

or

on Verizon, you’ve probably been waiting with bated breath for the Android 4.0

roll out. Unless you didn’t wait and installed one of the

that escaped from Motorola over the last few months. Moto's

gives them two more weeks to deliver your helping of OTA Ice Cream Sandwich, and text messages being sent to RAZR owners suggests they make just sneak in under that deadline.

Sending out warning texts to owners may seem like an unusual step to take, but in this case RAZR owners that make use of the Verizon Wireless Mobile IM app are going to have the functionality broken by the update, so Big Red is warning you that you will need to download a new

app after the update. The text message in full reads:

Free Verizon Message: Your phone will soon be upgraded to Android 4.0. At that time we will remove your Verizon Wireless

IM app because it is not supported in Android 4.0. Please download a new instant messaging app to use IM on your phone. Thank you for using Mobile IM!

So you shouldn’t have to wait much longer – with any luck you may see Ice Cream Sandwich before Android 4.1 is announced at Google I/O later this month.

Hoping this means it will be out soon...but I still have not read any news about any soak test.

#98 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

So they're confirming not only they hope to have the ota out by the end of the month but also 4.1 will be announced by then to... further showing they're behind the android world.. lol. Not a big deal considering almost every manufacturer is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#99 zephyrus14

zephyrus14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter:@johnmarciniak
  • LocationThe Region

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Okay. I'm officially calling it. We'll get it within the next seven days.

Edit:

LOL, yeah right

Edited by zephyrus14, 15 June 2012 - 11:34 AM.

• zephyrus14 likes this

#100 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

I remember that modem. It's euphemism was Plug and Pray.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soak test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users