Photo

What's The Reasonable Usage Of Someone Who Has Verizon's Unlimited Data?

unlmited data verizon razr maxx ics

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 bishaarcc

bishaarcc

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Well, I have unlimited data, so my question is what's the reasonable amount that I could probably not exceeded? is it 20 gig or 30 or even 50? I know some people use over hundred gb of data, but what do you consider reasonable on your views, thanks for the answers.

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Well, I have unlimited data, so my question is what's the reasonable amount that I could probably not exceeded? is it 20 gig or 30 or even 50? I know some people use over hundred gb of data, but what do you consider reasonable on your views, thanks for the answers.

I'm the wrong type of person to answer this but I'm going to anyway lol. In my eyes, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to use that much data. Even though I have unlimited data, I stay at around 2GB a month. Because there's simply no reason to go over it. I have home internet and cable, I refuse to use my phone for stuff I can do at home. A TV show that I might miss just isn't that important to me to where I absolutely have to stream it to my phone. I only use my phone for stuff like that when I have absolutely no other choice. Otherwise, why own a TV, DVR or home computer?

In my eyes, over 10GB a month is just ridiculous. Nothing is THAT important. But that's just me, I prefer to go hiking or to the beach. I can catch my shows or watch a movie whenever I get home.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  • Jimmy8881 and gbrooke like this

#3 zachjeep

zachjeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

I'm real big on streaming jango and Pandora at the gym and while driving. So I'm up in the 10-15gb mark. Makes me think I'm going to have a hard time keeping it around 2gb if Verizon bones us.

#4 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

I use 8-16 Gb. Stream music constantly at work, sometimes in the car. I don't use wifi at home bc my 4G is faster and my laptop is 5 years old so it's basically been retired except for fastbooting my phone. I just bought a tablet tho so that number will prlly go down.

#5 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

I'm the wrong type of person to answer this but I'm going to anyway lol. In my eyes, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to use that much data. Even though I have unlimited data, I stay at around 2GB a month. Because there's simply no reason to go over it. I have home internet and cable, I refuse to use my phone for stuff I can do at home. A TV show that I might miss just isn't that important to me to where I absolutely have to stream it to my phone. I only use my phone for stuff like that when I have absolutely no other choice. Otherwise, why own a TV, DVR or home computer?

In my eyes, over 10GB a month is just ridiculous. Nothing is THAT important. But that's just me, I prefer to go hiking or to the beach. I can catch my shows or watch a movie whenever I get home.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Or... if you tether a lot for business reasons (paying for it) you're like me and run upwards of 20-30gb a month. I'm @ about 16 right now with 10 days to go this billing period.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#6 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

There aren't many months that 2GB would be enough. I use Netflix and Youtube and Pandora at work because they won't allow these services on company computers and the building doesn't have good radio reception. I have hit over 2 Gb in a single day. When they start to limit me I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may check out Sprint because they have a decent coverage blanket where I live and work. Not sure what they have for devices though. That could be a deal breaker.

#7 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Oh... I may or may not have downloaded Diablo III to my laptop via tethering while at the office... Whoops...
  • Krazr likes this

Posted Image

#8 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

I do some tethering here and there but I've never gone over 3gigs I don't think. I would caution anyone having really high data, period. All that is watched. And now they are working on weeding out unlimited data for people upgrading from 3g to 4g, but that isn't solid yet. So as you can see there must be an issue with it.

#9 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

I do some tethering here and there but I've never gone over 3gigs I don't think. I would caution anyone having really high data, period. All that is watched. And now they are working on weeding out unlimited data for people upgrading from 3g to 4g, but that isn't solid yet. So as you can see there must be an issue with it.

Mobile data costs a lot more than landline internet for the carriers. That's why. We're cutting into their profits.

Posted Image

#10 nin

nin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

with 5 days left in my cycle i'm at 349.42 mb on my unlimited plan and wife is worried when they do change it i'll go over haha lol
my opinion is there going to change so they (verizon) can make more money
with all the people that do go over thre limit

Posted Image

#11 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

Mobile data costs a lot more than landline internet for the carriers. That's why. We're cutting into their profits.

Yep that makes sense. I got grandfathered in and thought I was safe.Now I'm having to upgrade my wife to a 4g phone to try to avoid the new issue if they pass it that new rule. (Not that she's upset that she's getting a razr maxx) :)

#12 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

with 5 days left in my cycle i'm at 349.42 mb on my unlimited plan and wife is worried when they do change it i'll go over haha lol
my opinion is there going to change so they (verizon) can make more money
with all the people that do go over thre limit

I forget what the actual break point is but it'd surprise you. Those of us that chew considerable amounts of data actually cost VZW more than the $30 we're paying for data/month. It's a lot. But it can be done.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

If you get throttled you will see a icon in your status bar. Let it happen more tge a few timrs then yiu will get a letter. Jmo you got to eat up tons of data on a regular basis. Also your plan,phone's, how much u spend etc etc also plays into this decision. Its a cost ratio thing so basicly if they are not msking money off of you, you eill get red flagged.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#14 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

I consistantly hit around 15-44 NEVER over 44 gb data.. depends on what goes on in the month.. most of the time work comes to me .. but if im out doing service calls for pcs then im teathering and im on 4g using gps a lot.. but if im at home im normally connected to my wifi..
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#15 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

Since Verizon currently has a 10GB plan, I would guess that using up to 10GB on an unlimited plan should be OK. Personally, I have never exceeded 5GB. I don't believe mobile data was ever intended to be your primary "at home" ISP. That's what cable, DSL, U-Verse, etc. are for. I also believe the reason Verizon is trying to kill unlimited data is the people who use over 10GB.

#16 jrkruse

jrkruse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/jrkruse
  • LocationArizona But Always On The Road

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Let me say that unlimited means just that you should never have to worry about what you are using since you are paying for UNLIMITED. You wouldnt pay for unlimited minutes and then feel guilty if your using too many minutes. Instead of Verizon spending some money and upgrading there network to handle data usage, no they have opted to limit us. Never mind the prices dont reflect that as they continue to rise. The whole 4g push isnt to are advantage but is to verizons advantage since they will be able to route phone calls using Voip which will save them a fortune all at the same time they are raising rates and cutting us back on how much we can talk and how much data we can use. I aslo think if they are limiting data then they should give me credit for dropped data in the middle of a download how many times have you been in the middle of a big download and your data just magically goes away and you have to start over.Also I get sick of the less than advertised download speeds. I mean come on I sometimes have 4g sometimes I dont. Maybe the question should be when will enough be enough and you finally decide to quit Verizon.

#17 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

This thought process is what killed unlimited. Maybe they should have never had unlimited plans, because technically, you are correct. They should have simply charged $10 per GB or some price, and then capped it at whatever they were willing to sell to one customer.

#18 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

This thought process is what killed unlimited. Maybe they should have never had unlimited plans, because technically, you are correct. They should have simply charged $10 per GB or some price, and then capped it at whatever they were willing to sell to one customer.

Modern needs have surpassed what they expected from phones when data plans came out. You would have struggled to push the kind of data we do today due to all the multimedia out now. Back then you would be hard pressed to put more than 2GB of legitimate data through a phone. It's the old argument of "This is a 1GB hard drive. You'll never be able to fill it." Needs change. So do services. They grow and change with us. I don't have a problem if they eventually push me off my unlim plan if it's no longer available as long as I know that going in but you better bet your rear end that I'm going to do everything I can to keep it legally and within legitimate means.
  • bilbobaggins likes this

Posted Image

#19 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Me too. I won't be signing any new contracts as long as I can keep my unlimited data plan. I am paying $30 for unlimited plus $30 for hotspot. If they came out with a plan that included 5GB with hotspot feature for $50, I might have to consider it. Better yet, 10GB with hotspot for $50 and I would jump on it.

#20 jrkruse

jrkruse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/jrkruse
  • LocationArizona But Always On The Road

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Let me ask you people this. If your home interent provider decides to start limiting you to 5gb or 10 gb per month and raises your price will you you have the same reaction as you are to Verizon wanting to limit you and charge you more?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users