Photo

What's The Reasonable Usage Of Someone Who Has Verizon's Unlimited Data?

unlmited data verizon razr maxx ics

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'm done signing contracts. I'll buy my phone full price before I let them cap me. That's why I never bought a Hot Spot. They want 50 bucks for 5Gb a month. I laughed at the rep when she said it was the best deal in town. I said You never heard of Comcast honey? I can blow through 5 Gb before breakfast on a Sunday Morning, not on my phone, but if I used it as a hotspot I could.

#22 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Let me ask you people this. If your home interent provider decides to start limiting you to 5gb or 10 gb per month and raises your price will you you have the same reaction as you are to Verizon wanting to limit you and charge you more?

yep, I would drop Comcast in a heartbeat. My wife is in IT and once the hardware is in place, like Comcast, it costs them practically nothing to keep the internet up and running in my case. I'm a Certified HW/SW Tech on PC and Mac so all I need is a connection and I do the rest.

#23 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Let me ask you people this. If your home interent provider decides to start limiting you to 5gb or 10 gb per month and raises your price will you you have the same reaction as you are to Verizon wanting to limit you and charge you more?

Have you paid attention to what comcast is doing soon? It's exactly this. It'll have a ~300GB ceiling with overage charges from what they've been hinting.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#24 jrkruse

jrkruse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/jrkruse
  • LocationArizona But Always On The Road

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

I would have to say good bye ComCast

#25 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

I would have to say good bye ComCast

What're you doing as a consumer that you're going to pull more than 300GB in a month? seriously. I abuse the crap out of my connection and I'm usually in the 200GB realm. They have business lines that'll be uncapped for the people that need it for that purpose.

Posted Image

#26 nin

nin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

+1
I'd say i'd be with bilbobaggins
my stats from utorrent say
transferred last 31 days: 392 GB
so I'd be up a creek

Posted Image

#27 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

+1
I'd say i'd be with bilbobaggins
my stats from utorrent say
transferred last 31 days: 392 GB
so I'd be up a creek

I presume your utorrent traffic isn't exactly legitimate traffic ;)

Posted Image

#28 nin

nin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

I presume your utorrent traffic isn't exactly legitimate traffic ;)

ah I'll say 99% legit :)

Posted Image

#29 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

5 or 10GB is not reasonable for home internet. It is very reasonable for mobile internet.

#30 jrkruse

jrkruse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

5 or 10GB is not reasonable for home internet. It is very reasonable for mobile internet.

Why is 5 or 10 gb reasonable for mobile internet? Or is it because Verizon says so?

#31 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

I have a 10gb plan and I use about 8-9 each month, sometimes less around 6. I check email all the time, Facebook, twitter, YouTube every now and then...use tapatalk all the time... download the OTA leaks (about 300mb each) ...but I stream ALL of my music. That's what gets me on data. I use spotify, Pandora and Google music. I stream 100% I have nothing local and I listen to music any time I'm in the car.

And I use my nav about 10 days out of the month or so (I have it in my car too). But that's much harder on battery than data. I also use instagram and have background sync of pics and vids to g+.

I don't tether - legally or otherwise. My work gives me a 4g mifi so I have no reason to. And my cr-48 has 3g too that Google pays for and I rarely use my own data for that.

I use Netflix and hulu but not on my phone. Just on my TV and laptop.

Hope that helps!

[ ...paths? ... where we're going we don't need... paths. ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#32 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Why is 5 or 10 gb reasonable for mobile internet? Or is it because Verizon says so?

These are all opinions. That's my opinion. I think 5 or 10GB for a mobile device would suit the majority of people.

#33 jrkruse

jrkruse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

These are all opinions. That's my opinion. I think 5 or 10GB for a mobile device would suit the majority of people.

I still dont understand why people are happy having a limit on something they really cant control. You have no idea how much data your using until you have already used it and how do we really no if the numbers they are giving us are legit. at least when you use phone minutes you no exactly what your using I call for 30 min I know when i hang up i have used 30 min.

#34 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

See, now I am the opposite. I use a good amount of tethering, I have my Siriusxm running a good part of the day and I have to try really hard to reach my 2gb limit. I don't know. I use my 4G indiscriminately and still can't get up to 2gb. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#35 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

I still dont understand why people are happy having a limit on something they really cant control. You have no idea how much data your using until you have already used it and how do we really no if the numbers they are giving us are legit. at least when you use phone minutes you no exactly what your using I call for 30 min I know when i hang up i have used 30 min.

The question was how much do we think is reasonable. We answered the question. We don't need to justify our answer or engage in an argument.

#36 Rycix

Rycix

Bouncing Ball Of Energy / Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well, any amount is reasonable in my opinion. You got unlimited, you should use any amount from 0 to infinity since you're paying for it.
I end up downloading a lot of stuff. lots of ROMs which go from 100-200 MB per, fastboot files (1+ GB), and other things. They add up. I do it on my home wifi though, so I probably go around 10 GB/month including other things I download. I end up downloading pretty much nothing on my phone since its unrealistic for me to due to approaching the 2 GB limit.
The only unreasonable usage of unlimited data is if you download things that are not legal (in my opinion).
Droid Razr XT912, cooling down with ICS on 6.16.211

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#37 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Not sure why they plan to cut usage just like last year. This day in age internet is almost everything and you can do more and more on the internet as well as smart phones. Greed is the best answer I can give. When things are in place it costs nothing more to run except if something fails just like cable or landlines. They should expand towers for coverage which would gain more customers AND they should make everything UNLIMITED data, phone calls and text!! In the fall I got the home phone connect which basically makes my house phones a cell phone as the house phones connect to the box that has an antenna and uses the cell towers for voice same as our cell phones. $20 a month for unlimited incoming outgoing calls no onpeak off peak crap and including the 3 way call, caller id etc just like your cell phones do. Or the $10 a month plan would share your cell phone minutes. Seems to be a heck of a deal considering its the same thing as your cell phone and your paying at least $20 more a month for the same thing as your cell phone with no text or data. Its time to move ahead not take steps back and limit this and that. This is as bad as the gas companies!!
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

#38 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Also not to mention, I am currently in a 3G area (one of the few cities in Pennsylvania that doesnt have 4G). Without having 4G but having a 4G phone sorta makes me feel like Im getting screwed to. Who knows when it will come but the end of next year is the goal for all to have it. Each state I would think should have their own team of engineers so in this case there should be a new area with 4G in every state at least 5 out of 7 days of every week..
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

#39 joshuahist

joshuahist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Twitter:joshuahist
  • Google+:joshuahist
  • LocationPhiladelphia Pa

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

There have been countless articles written stating the fact that none of the wireless carriers thought that smartphones would take off like they did. Because of that they priced "Unlimited" plans below what they wanted to to entice people to buy those same smartphones. When the market exploded, none of the companies were ready for it, (especially AT&T who didn't expect the iPhone to be so popular). Now they are trying to get people to pay for what they are getting. In order to pay for that upgrade (or to create better service) they are trying to get that money that they have been losing. I don't like that they are doing this, but they are being genuine with us and letting us know that future contracts will not have such a service. There is no law that stipulates that they need to grandfather anything, and as a consumer we sign a new contract everytime we upgrade a phone. If we don't like what they offer, then we as consumers have the right to choose a different contract. I pay extra for Verizon or two reasons. The unlimited data usage, and the fact that the majority of my friends and family are on Verizon. I may have to switch once one of those two go away.

That aside, I use anywhere from 2-10 GB a month depending on how much I am playing with my phone and I believe that I am an average user. My GF who is what I would call an average smartphone user uses over 4 GB some months and she only uses her phone as any typical person would.

There is this for anyone on ICS.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#40 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

I'm on my Droid X (waiting for my Razr to come in), but in the last 3 months, I have used 10, 12 and 11 gigs. Mainly watching Netflix via HDMI and downloading roms.

X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users