Photo

What's The Reasonable Usage Of Someone Who Has Verizon's Unlimited Data?

unlmited data verizon razr maxx ics

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Papasmurf

Papasmurf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

There aren't many months that 2GB would be enough. I use Netflix and Youtube and Pandora at work because they won't allow these services on company computers and the building doesn't have good radio reception. I have hit over 2 Gb in a single day. When they start to limit me I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may check out Sprint because they have a decent coverage blanket where I live and work. Not sure what they have for devices though. That could be a deal breaker.

Sprint actually has a good selection of handsets IMO. They just never had the coverage around my area...could be changing though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If DROID DOES..... then iDroid

#42 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

Amazing how they could think it wouldnt be as popular as it is. But they will do as they wish because they can and what people choose to do is what they will do whether its adapt or move on. Technology is almost always popular so they know they for the future, hopefully they hire better intelligence next time lol. I normally use around 1 gig but that is with using WIFI when Im home and Im on the grandfathered unlimited. I think the biggest thing is just knowing your being limited which no one is ever happy about. I am kinda mixed on this because I feel you spend $300 + on a phone and $100 a month for the works and everyone uses their phone in a different capacity. Since I dont know what 4G is like yet... I had read that 4G uses more data which I dont really understand because your loading the same thing and same size its just the speed at which its loaded is how I see it but obviously Im not a 4G expert. I still say everything should be unlimited, they might be able to say they are loosing money but Im not sold on that.
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

#43 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Amazing how they could think it wouldnt be as popular as it is. But they will do as they wish because they can and what people choose to do is what they will do whether its adapt or move on. Technology is almost always popular so they know they for the future, hopefully they hire better intelligence next time lol. I normally use around 1 gig but that is with using WIFI when Im home and Im on the grandfathered unlimited. I think the biggest thing is just knowing your being limited which no one is ever happy about. I am kinda mixed on this because I feel you spend $300 + on a phone and $100 a month for the works and everyone uses their phone in a different capacity. Since I dont know what 4G is like yet... I had read that 4G uses more data which I dont really understand because your loading the same thing and same size its just the speed at which its loaded is how I see it but obviously Im not a 4G expert. I still say everything should be unlimited, they might be able to say they are loosing money but Im not sold on that.

IMO, you probably use more data singe you can do more. I can't tell you how many videos and stuff I've given up watching because of it buffering throughout the whole thing, or ridiculously slow downloads.As for me, I think that most people don't use much data, and we're definitely in the minority. I don't have home internet because its not available out here. Most of my friends use very little data, whereas I'm usually around 10 gigs. I don't see how Verizon is losing money, as they seem to pad their prices pretty good. Look at text messaging. It is $30 a month for family texting, but the cost of sending a text is way less than a penny. I forgot the actual amount, but it was like $0.0001

X

#44 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

IMO, you probably use more data singe you can do more. I can't tell you how many videos and stuff I've given up watching because of it buffering throughout the whole thing, or ridiculously slow downloads.As for me, I think that most people don't use much data, and we're definitely in the minority. I don't have home internet because its not available out here. Most of my friends use very little data, whereas I'm usually around 10 gigs. I don't see how Verizon is losing money, as they seem to pad their prices pretty good. Look at text messaging. It is $30 a month for family texting, but the cost of sending a text is way less than a penny. I forgot the actual amount, but it was like $0.0001 X

To expand on your video example...if you're watching youtube on 3G and decide you don't want to watch it anymore, you've only buffered a few seconds ahead, if not less. With 4G the whole video could have buffered by the time you decided you ddin't want to watch it. I'm sure this applies to other things as well. I don't know if downloading/updating apps is included in your data too, but I used to wait until I was in wifi because 3G was too slow, now I go ahead and use 4G.

#45 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Don't be so quick to jump on sprint. Word is they will be dropping their unlimited plans shortly after Verizon. Face it, unlimited mobile data its on it's way out. With that said I'm at 21 GB with 11 days left on my cycle. I pay for a tethering plan and use my phone for home use. I can't beat the speed price comparison... At least until the unlimited is cut off.

#46 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

This does bring up another point... I'm very curious what the pricing well be for the limited shared plans. Verizon will possibly be losing money from me. I pay $84 a month now for data. -$24 for my tethering plan i won't be paying for anymore. Me and my wife could get by with 4 GB a month shared easily. If their shared 4 GB plan is less than $60 I'll save a little more $.

#47 Kimo91

Kimo91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Google+:elton.k.sales@gmail.com
  • LocationGoose Creek, SC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

I hover around 4-5 gigs a month and that's more than reasonable, going 10+ gigs a month is not only overkill but also not only taking advantage of unlimited but always justifies why they constantly use that much, main reason I usually read is "I'm rooted and use the free wifi tethering cause I can and unlimited means unlimited"

Sent from my Sith powered and rooted DROID RAZR MAXX

#48 Kirbnite

Kirbnite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Lol, this question is very biased as many people on this thread tether a well as use their phone for practical normal use.

Unless that was what your question was intended for.

I do not tether and average 2-3 GB with a good amount off videostreaming mixed in.

#49 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

I hover around 4-5 gigs a month and that's more than reasonable, going 10+ gigs a month is not only overkill but also not only taking advantage of unlimited but always justifies why they constantly use that much, main reason I usually read is "I'm rooted and use the free wifi tethering cause I can and unlimited means unlimited" Sent from my Sith powered and rooted DROID RAZR MAXX

No offense, but you can't generalize like that. You have no idea what people use their phones for. I have a friend that uses 30 gigs monthly because he watches Netflix on the bus to and from work everyday. He doesn't tether (legally or illegally), and neither do I, and I'm usually in the 10+ range as well. And I don't download the leaks/ROMs directly to my phone either. Pure legit unlimited.

#50 Ghostface

Ghostface

Giggling Carebare From the land of Jelly Beans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIn your Mommy's bed. Your dad is looking at me funny though.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Why do you think Vzw doubles the allowance on 4G phones but not 3G phones? ex: Razr 4GB /Iphone 2GB for same monthly $30? because 4G is sooo f***king fasssst.. you have to keep a tab on your phone data (or turn off 4G) to ensure that you DO NOT use anymore data beyond your plan or else it's $10 extra.for every gigabyte. So even if you normally use 1GB of your data plan by monthly average... having a 4G phone will only enable you to download of the same size file only faster. When compared to 3G devices you downloaded the file at the cost of time.. Times that the number of times you actually used your phone to download something..., I bet your usage will Triple!!!! That's the power of 4G.

Sprint actually has a good selection of handsets IMO. They just never had the coverage around my area...could be changing though

I couldn't agree with you more... I cancelled my 2 year contract with Sprint when I had the Samsung Epic 4G because coverage was only available in Baltimore and somewhere in the country north west of Philadelphia. But with Verizon it's the opposite..Better service, Crappy Phones... Verizon just getting started with the Razr... but it's still very... well... what's that word I'm looking for?... competitive.. So when Sprint starts to employ the likes of LTE technology like Verizon which will soon become a reality, Sprint will be the best of Both worlds. So if Sprint has unlimited everything, and you have the patience to wait that long... then get on the Sprint bandwagon... I've been a loyal Sprint customer for 12 years and since Palm WebOS debuted, but they couldn't keep up with data speed and coverage which matters to me the most when I upgraded to the Epic 4G (wimax) phone.

I hover around 4-5 gigs a month and that's more than reasonable, going 10+ gigs a month is not only overkill but also not only taking advantage of unlimited but always justifies why they constantly use that much, main reason I usually read is "I'm rooted and use the free wifi tethering cause I can and unlimited means unlimited"

Sent from my Sith powered and rooted DROID RAZR MAXX

I too use an average 3-5 gb monthly.. I would be using more when I'm not working. But for being indoors most of the time where wifi is available that's my average monthly. But when I'm on the road around the country I find myself hovering at around 10GB.. unlimited is unlimited.. we don't care if you're rooted or not.. the whole point of this thread is how people are using their data and how much their using, not the additional unneeded info and about what you did with it... it's about not having to worry about the extra charges... it just simplifies the plan rate as far as I know.. Verizon is simply not advertising that up front.. Sprint...Yes there's an unlimited plan... aka crippled turtle slow unlimited plan.

#51 iSilentP

iSilentP

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:SilentP

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

These are all opinions. That's my opinion. I think 5 or 10GB for a mobile device would suit the majority of people.

I'll tend to agree with you on the 5 to 10!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users