Here are pics

Attached Files

#22 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

So in Settings, did you switch the internal and external??? :)

When I did that at first, even though I did it, it was still confusing.....

Attached Files

#23 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Again, did you switch internal and external in Settings - Advanced?

#24 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yea, so you switched them and now you cant get your head wrapped around it :)

Like I said, it still gets me confused sometimes when I look at it, so youre not alone.

#25 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

So how do I fix it so that its correct? I thought by me using external SD means that apps will be installed in SD card. If I unchecked it, will it fix the issue?

#26 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well, its correct now. But if you want to switch it back to "normal" then you need to uncheck that setting and reboot. But, if you do that then everything will be installed onto the Internal memory defeating the purpose of the switch.....if that makes sense.

#27 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Well, its correct now. But if you want to switch it back to "normal" then you need to uncheck that setting and reboot. But, if you do that then everything will be installed onto the Internal memory defeating the purpose of the switch.....if that makes sense.

:huh:unsure:

#28 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Technically there is no correct. But I think youre starting to get it now. If your worried about Safestrap, and the fact that now the folder is on what is now the external drive, no worry there. The drives arent mounted when Safestrap intercepts the boot sequence, so its always looking at the physical/external sdcard.

#29 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

i just want to make it so that i know exactly where i am installing apps and where to put things i download without confusion.  since i checked "use external storage" do i still have to manually move my apps to SD card?  because when i look at apps info, i still see a lot of apps that can still be moved to SD card.  eventhough i though that apps were installing into the sd card the whole time.

#30 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

btw, do you move your apps to SD card or do you just leave it in internal?  what size did you format your rom slot?  i formatted mine with 2gb.

#31 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

I'll answer the last post first and then get back to the one before....

If you set the setting to use the External storage as you have, then no you wouldnt need to move them since they physically exist on the external/physical sdcard.

I switch between many ROM's fairly often. For the ones I really like and use as my Daily, they are either 2 or 3 GB. For ones I am just testing, I usually make them 1GB, since I can always make them bigger after the fact anyway.

#32 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

i just want to make it so that i know exactly where i am installing apps and where to put things i download without confusion.  since i checked "use external storage" do i still have to manually move my apps to SD card?  because when i look at apps info, i still see a lot of apps that can still be moved to SD card.  eventhough i though that apps were installing into the sd card the whole time.

Since you changed the Setting in Advanced, you are actually installing all things to the physical sdcard but the phone thinks its the Internal. Also because you have that setting turned on (I do as well), the App your using to Move Apps like AppMgr (App2SD), is fooled and now has the drives backwards.

I use a 64GB sdcard, so what I find to be the easiest way to "remember" is to look at the drives under your file manager and you can see the size of each.

#33 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'll answer the last post first and then get back to the one before....

If you set the setting to use the External storage as you have, then no you wouldnt need to move them since they physically exist on the external/physical sdcard.

I switch between many ROM's fairly often. For the ones I really like and use as my Daily, they are either 2 or 3 GB. For ones I am just testing, I usually make them 1GB, since I can always make them bigger after the fact anyway.

ok cool thanks for explaining and helping me understand this.  is there a reason why one should move to SD other than saving space on internal memory drive?  when i was using nova launcher, sometimes icons on my homescreen would just disappear.  i thought this happened because i moved an app to SD.  this has not happened since i started using Trebuchet that came with the rom.

#34 chinkster

chinkster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Since you changed the Setting in Advanced, you are actually installing all things to the physical sdcard but the phone thinks its the Internal. Also because you have that setting turned on (I do as well), the App your using to Move Apps like AppMgr (App2SD), is fooled and now has the drives backwards.

I use a 64GB sdcard, so what I find to be the easiest way to "remember" is to look at the drives under your file manager and you can see the size of each.

the razr maxx comes with 16gb stock internal memory right?  and i have a 16gb SD card.  so yeah...that is confusing me as well.  i need to upgrade to 32gb FOR REALS

#35 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

ok cool thanks for explaining and helping me understand this.  is there a reason why one should move to SD other than saving space on internal memory drive?  when i was using nova launcher, sometimes icons on my homescreen would just disappear.  i thought this happened because i moved an app to SD.  this has not happened since i started using Trebuchet that came with the rom.

NP. Its all about space. The xt912 has a 16GB drive that is broken into 2 8GB parts, only one of which we have access to. So at most you have a little less than 8GB to play with, and thats on a Stock rom (no Safestrap). Now we put on SS, and since it stores everything on the Internal drive, all the slots you create take up the limited space. Changing the setting allows you to use a larger external sdcard as the Internal sdcard for apps and data, thus leaving the "real" internal drive for Safestrap and whatever else is/was there.

Yes if you Move apps from Internal to External, icons and widgets disappear (sometimes the whole app) as those need to be on the Internal drive. Its not happening now, because you havent moved anything since changing the setting in Advanced.

I hope that all makes sense and helps.

#36 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Not sure what to think about all this.  There seems to be a lot of confusion about this.  So, I'll put in my two cents worth.  When it comes to where you're apps are getting installed to, it doesn't matter what you have that setting set to in CM. You're apps aren't getting installed to either the internal sd or the external.  By default they are installed to /data/apps or /system/apps, depending on whether they are a system app or not.  Changing that setting has nothing to do with where your apps are installed to or will be installed to.  It has more to do with things like where the pictures you take will be saved to, where Google Music will save it's cache to, where an app like Titanium backup will save it's backups to (by default anyway), or where that favorite checkbook app of yours saves it's backups to when you make them, etc., etc..  Whatever the case, neither the internal or the external sdcards have apps installed to them unless you move them there yourself or have some type of app that does it for you.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding all this too.  lol, more confusion I guess.  But from what I see here, it seems to me everybody is saying your apps get installed to this sdcard or that one and that's just not the case.  Unless you move them, they will be in one of the two places I mentioned above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users