Photo

PSA! Important! Please Read! OG Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, D3/D4, Atrix 2 (Spyder, Targa, Solana, Maserati, Edison)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 qweesy

qweesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

WTF Moto

#22 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,137 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

WTF Moto

um and Verizon...

• pistacio likes this
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#23 RzrBak

RzrBak

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I was just reading another Droid forum and someone suggested this way to stop the OTA: You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the updater.apk. The other way is to use an app like root explorer and rename the updater.apk to updater.apk.bak.

If you use Titanium Backup just unfreeze whenever you are ready for the update. If you use the second option to rename the updater.apk, to updater.apk.bak, you'd just need to delete the .bak from the name.

Anyone tried either of these options??????

#24 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yes, either method works just fine.

• johnthehillbilly and shane1 like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#25 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Ninj'd LOL .....

... telekinetically tapped, tenaciously traversing the terrain ...

• livinginkaos and shane1 like this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#26 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

+1

#27 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

BMM is "based on" CWM just like bootstrap was. It's as much a real CWM as safestrap is twrp.

It's not about the layout is has to do with the hijack, which they all function the same way. That's what's getting boarded up.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#28 weaponx

weaponx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

There is absolutely nothing negative about someone deciding to break root and take an OTA even if there is no going back. How many peeps keep the same phone for more that a year and a half anyway? Rooting and Roming is awesome..but do you really have to present this info as if the world will end if you take an official OTA?  It's simple..guys if you want to conserve root, don't take it, if you want to take OTA, more power to ya, but don't come back here asking for someone to root what they are saying can't be rooted for now. Simple..no drama..

Hey bub, I'm not finished with you yet..... SKNIT!!

#29 weaponx

weaponx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

BMM is "based on" CWM just like bootstrap was. It's as much a real CWM as safestrap is twrp.

It's not about the layout is has to do with the hijack, which they all function the same way. That's what's getting boarded up.

I love your sig.   my kids just got me hooked on Minecraft..I can't stop playing it...

Hey bub, I'm not finished with you yet..... SKNIT!!

#30 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Updater.apk.....or updater 4.1.2 - 58 as its listed on mine.:)but for some reason , root explorer can't find it.... but titanium finds it just fine..... ... telekinetically tapped, tenaciously traversing the terrain ...

Is this the same file as BlurUpdater_VZW.apk ? 

#31 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Is this the same file as BlurUpdater_VZW.apk ?

No I don't believe it is....... I believe it is a different apk....... if you are trying to find it using titanium, you may not be able if you are on a custom ROM ..... titanium should see it on stock......

... telekinetically tapped, tenaciously traversing the terrain ...

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#32 Daino92

Daino92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Google+:chrisdaino@gmail.com
  • LocationFort Collins
  • Current Device(s):SCH-1535

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for letting people know about this. Hope no issues arise as a result of these OTAs. 

#33 Boucher187

Boucher187

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

I was just reading another Droid forum and someone suggested this way to stop the OTA: You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the updater.apk. The other way is to use an app like root explorer and rename the updater.apk to updater.apk.bak.

If you use Titanium Backup just unfreeze whenever you are ready for the update. If you use the second option to rename the updater.apk, to updater.apk.bak, you'd just need to delete the .bak from the name.

Anyone tried either of these options??????

I removed the UPDATER all together.  If in a few months I want it back I guess that I will just re-install.

#34 RzrBak

RzrBak

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Just as a FYI...I was going to run the freeze option in titanium but discovered that I can't because I have the free version so in order to use option 1 you'd have to pay for the pro version...+6 buck for it or 3.99 for Root Explorer.

#35 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Woah..just took the OTA and now I'm running an S4!

Seriously though.. I never take OTAs and I'm fine.. Except that I still don't have a platypus. :(

Sent from my Platyraptor extreme ultra maxxxx 4gLTE/GSM/ABC/123 Nick Knack Pattywack Ermegherd GED, MD,RNA,DNA,YMCA Edition S4! Via the 4th dimension....NOW RUNNING ECLIPSE

#36 samtwatson

samtwatson

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi all,

VERY new to the rooting scene here and considering rooting my Droid Raxr.  Obviously I've been doing OTA updates this whole time and currently running 4.1.2.  Running the 98.72.16XT912 system version.  As this is the newest info I can find out there about rooting the Droid Razr is there still a way for me to root my phone?  I've seen the motochopper file hosted on this site (antivirus is preventing me from downloading it claiming its a virus) but I just wanted to double check with the guru's here to determine if I'm fighting a losing battle here.  Also, if you have any advice on where to start with this whole rooting thing I'd really appreciate it.  All of this talk about OTA's preventing root access is scaring me.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

#37 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi all,

VERY new to the rooting scene here and considering rooting my Droid Raxr.  Obviously I've been doing OTA updates this whole time and currently running 4.1.2.  Running the 98.72.16XT912 system version.  As this is the newest info I can find out there about rooting the Droid Razr is there still a way for me to root my phone?  I've seen the motochopper file hosted on this site (antivirus is preventing me from downloading it claiming its a virus) but I just wanted to double check with the guru's here to determine if I'm fighting a losing battle here.  Also, if you have any advice on where to start with this whole rooting thing I'd really appreciate it.  All of this talk about OTA's preventing root access is scaring me.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

This update being talked about is not released yet. You can still root. Use

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. You will most likely have to restore to fresh out of the box using option 1 in order to get root to work. Then root prior to logging in to your Google account

• samtwatson likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#38 samtwatson

samtwatson

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

This update being talked about is not released yet. You can still root. Use

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. You will most likely have to restore to fresh out of the box using option 1 in order to get root to work. Then root prior to logging in to your Google account

Thank you for the quick reply!  I'll do some reading and report back.

Thanks again :)

#39 RzrBak

RzrBak

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hey Sam,

I have the same version you described. I did a lot of reading on rooting my Razr from different people on the net. The best (my opinion only) and easiest instructions to follow was from Tomsgt123 on YouTube. He has everything from what you need to do to get started all the way to installing custom Roms. Do yourself a favor and at least check his videos out.

#40 RzrBak

RzrBak

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

What the...sorry. Didn't realize that the copied link would do that....hmmm???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users