Photo

New Moto X "Silent Lockscreen Notifications" an OBVIOUS Ripoff...?

moto x halo paranoid android lockscreen notification

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well, while watching some of the leaked videos, etc about the new Moto X, I had an epiphany. Now, while I know it's standard practice for the AOSP team to "borrow" features from CM, AOKP and the likes of the unofficial AOS Project "contributors", I found this one to be rather blatant and disturbing. And I can do this now that Google and Moto are one and the same.

Enter, the new "Silent, Lockscreen Notification feature" for the upcoming "Moto X":

moto-x3.jpg

Here we see what looks like an SMS message blinking on the lock screen...

Anyone who's seen

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, is aware that it's screen silently blinks with an icon showing the user what notifications are present, rather than the "mundane LED notification" which doesn't do more than blink.

Hmm...Now WHERE have I seen this before...?

Couldn't be

??

?

Now, I get it, while it's common that AOSP and the like have "borrowed" features from the "aftermarket" community. And understandably, this is open source, so share one, share all right? I still find it gross how certain things are withheld by Moto such as, oh IDK, full source code...but they are just fine with borrowing/replicating/stealing PA's Halo!

I pointed this out to several people today, most of whom have seen the leaked videos about the Moto X, but very few had put two and two together. Granted, it's not as obvious, but the idea is EXACTLY the same. Right down to the gesture's which dismiss or address the notifications.

And what about the fact that some of the big aftermarket dev teams (Paranoid Android specifically) have been so reluctant to release the source for some of their innovative features in the past (not any more)? But that Moogle won't think twice to take the aftermarkets idea, spin it, and then not only withhold the source, but allow the carriers such as VZW to stymie further development by allowing locked bootloaders?

Sounds like hypocrisy? (shocker!!)

Or maybe one step forward and two steps back for them (ultimately us)?

What do you all think? I think it's typical weasel moves. Sad, really.

• Memnoch73, satman80, rickw and 7 others like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Twitter:marleyinoc
  • Google+:+RicCrockett
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 and Bionic on WiFi

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I like your healthy skepticism. Very, very healthy ;)

Maybe they'll be credited in source? Actually isn't it likely they'll be credited in source?

Cause if not... i dunwanna....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

__________________sent from my bionic with dub_________________

#3 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Uhhhhhhh.   :wub:wacko:blink:o

• johnthehillbilly likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#4 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

:wacko::wacko:

... telekinetically tapped, tenaciously traversing the terrain ...

Who's a wacko?

Uhhhhhhh. :wub: :wacko: :blink: :o

???

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#5 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Kanging is Kanging no matter who's doing it. It's a bad move IMO.

Etched in blood by a katana

Non potest esse nisi unus

#6 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Those had to be re: me, lol

I'm not a rabid fanboi but definitely been taking wait and see approach. But getting pulled to a I'm buying approach. The Moto magnet. So I think they're making funny faces at me. lol

Agreed but it ain't a Kang if everything is on up and up!

Dang it, I'm going radio silence til tomorrow night!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

well, the way I see it...It's not really kanging if PA is going to put the Halo source on their github...(which I believe to be the case, at least) It's been implemented in other ROMs, so certainly the source its out there).

But my issue with this "kanging, stealing, borrowing" whatever the hell we want to call it is that Moto claims this to be a new "feature" when in reality, it's just an idea and implementation they stole from the the Open Source crowd.

Thats a scumbag move. And if it were another dev (IE NOT MOTO), the original devs would most certainly be all up in arms, and most of the aftermarket users would BURN the "thief" (moto) at the steak. and never support their "kanging, thieving asses"!

Amazing how the standards change when it's an OEM who "kangs" or (fill in your term).

Borrowing open source code/ideas is kosher so long as your recognize where you got it from. Why do I have a SOLID feeling that there was ZERO credit given to the team/folks who developed Halo?

....hmmm???

#8 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

If it is as you say and no credit is given then it'll definitely influence my decision to buy. As in nope.

My influence is nil but doing the right thing makes me feel gooooood.

#9 djhbomber1

djhbomber1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Current Device(s):OG Razr, Razr MAXX HD

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

I agree with you in that anything taken from others should always be credited back to them, but I honestly don't see much resemblance between the silent lock screen and Halo.  Yes, they both display and dismiss notifications in similar fashion, but their applications are much different.  Halo (at least on my XT926) doesn't turn the screen on, and from what I've seen, silent lock screen will only take you to the app, not in a popup screen within a different app.

#10 Daino92

Daino92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Google+:chrisdaino@gmail.com
  • LocationFort Collins
  • Current Device(s):SCH-1535

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

I agree 100% with Tucstwo on this one...its obvious to me that they ripped off Halo from PA and just made it slightly different.. If this did anything for me its this...to keep modding my phones and being apart of the community. I am for sure staying away from the Moto X... (was going to before I read this)... Thanks man for posting this and showing our people what's going on..I would personally feel better if Moto came out and thanks PA for their code and for all the main stream 3rd party dev teams the thanks that they all deserve. Without teams like PA we would not have the android that we have today. 

#11 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'm sorry but flicking your wrist twice to bring up the camera is not only stupid and will make you look like you're having a seizure, but it's also going to cause a crap load of insurance claims from people flinging their devices. That "feature" is completely laughable.

sent from my Raged S4 using Tapa 4 beta

• extirpate, Gytole and jl90 like this

#12 jgarin

jgarin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine
  • Current Device(s):XT907, MT11i

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

I think the ideas of Halo and Moto notifications are completely different in a similar coating.

Halo = notifications over fullscreen apps. It gives you a glimpse of the things that happened while you were actually using the phone.

A great idea, really. But why whould it open a tiny popup window on a small enough phone screen? How convenient is that? And besides i won't miss that notification because the phone is in my hands.

Moto = notifications on lockscreen, that actually can take you to the full app. Plus these notifications wake the screen letting you know that something happened while you weren't paying attention to the phone. That is the giant step forward form the notification LEDs. All they borrowed from Halo is just the visual part.

Since i don't use much fullscreen apps, my choice is obvious - Moto.

• Alex.Abraham and BionicMan69 like this

#13 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

I'm sorry but flicking your wrist twice to bring up the camera is not only stupid and will make you look like you're having a seizure, but it's also going to cause a crap load of insurance claims from people flinging their devices. That "feature" is completely laughable.

sent from my Raged S4 using Tapa 4 beta

Maybe it will come with a wrist strap like a Wii-mote *LMAO*

• extirpate, Gytole, johnthehillbilly and 1 other like this

#14 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

I think the ideas of Halo and Moto notifications are completely different in a similar coating.

Halo = notifications over fullscreen apps. It gives you a glimpse of the things that happened while you were actually using the phone.

A great idea, really. But why whould it open a tiny popup window on a small enough phone screen? How convenient is that? And besides i won't miss that notification because the phone is in my hands.

Moto = notifications on lockscreen, that actually can take you to the full app. Plus these notifications wake the screen letting you know that something happened while you weren't paying attention to the phone. That is the giant step forward form the notification LEDs. All they borrowed from Halo is just the visual part.

Since i don't use much fullscreen apps, my choice is obvious - Moto.

Love the way people will go out of their way to defend a questionable move by Moto.

Some Moto fanboys are worse than Apple fanboys.

• Gytole likes this

#15 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Love the way people will go out of their way to defend a questionable move by Moto.

Some Moto fanboys are worse than Apple fanboys.

If they screw up today they probably won't be around long enough to regret it...

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

#16 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

I'm not say that it has to be an EXACT copy of the Halo implementation, I'm just pointing out that is RATHER similar. Even the gestures for the moto lock screen work like Halo. It's a joke.
  • Gytole likes this

#17 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

I don't think its such a big deal. In the end what the Moto lock screen does and what Halo does are 2 completely different things and IMO the way they do it is pretty basic/straightforward and I wouldn't accuse one of stealing from the other. Apple has a slide to unlock patent and they tried suing all the android manufacturers for using something similar but obviously it didn't hold up in the end because thats ridiculous. Its to basic and obvious to use a slide to unlock gesture that the judge found it unfair for Apple's patent to carry any weight. I think the same thing applies here. 

Posted Image

#18 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!
  • Current Device(s):HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 FLO

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

They should nickname the Moto X, "jack-it", cause the camera activator... Makes... Yeah.
  • jl90 likes this
Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

#19 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!
  • Current Device(s):HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 FLO

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

But i couldn't agree more. Total crook move. MotoCrookoogle needs to recognize PA on this. Major props to Motorola and Google if they were to recognize the people who make Android what it is. The Development community.
  • Daino92 likes this
Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

#20 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Can someone please explain how the rip off of chat heads is similar to Motos lockscreen notifications? I am open minded but I don't see it...

• chrisp6825 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moto x, halo, paranoid android, lockscreen notification

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users