• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

We have been informed that Moto will be unlocking the bootloader on some devices in Q4. It seems the most logical way to do this is through some form of software update. With the ICS OTA almost upon us, there should be plenty of files on the servers for us to grab. After the OTA of ICS, will we need a new method to monitor the servers? I was under the impression that the cheesecake app will not work on an ICS rom. Is this true? If there is a method to monitor the servers without flashing back to GB (for those of us who can) can someone point me in the right direciton? Is anyone stuck on the leaks monitoring the servers by any other method?

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

We have been informed that Moto will be unlocking the bootloader on some devices in Q4. It seems the most logical way to do this is through some form of software update. With the ICS OTA almost upon us, there should be plenty of files on the servers for us to grab. After the OTA of ICS, will we need a new method to monitor the servers? I was under the impression that the cheesecake app will not work on an ICS rom. Is this true? If there is a method to monitor the servers without flashing back to GB (for those of us who can) can someone point me in the right direciton? Is anyone stuck on the leaks monitoring the servers by any other method?

Nevermind, apparently I'm retarded and full of crap.

Edited by spc_hicks09, 05 June 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#3 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Where did you hear about moto unlocking bootloaders?

#4 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

Where did you hear about moto unlocking bootloaders?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 ogrekane313

ogrekane313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

well asus released a apk that you could install with like 3-4 warenty voided warnings

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#6 dimitri407

dimitri407

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:dimitri407

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:33 AM

From what I am seeing, this is talking about a new developer device. Not unlocking our bootloader. This device will come with an unloicked bootloader. I don't really think we will ever get our bootloader unlocked.

#7 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

From what I am seeing, this is talking about a new developer device. Not unlocking our bootloader. This device will come with an unloicked bootloader. I don't really think we will ever get our bootloader unlocked.

That is correct. The EU developer version has already been released in some areas. A developer version is planned to come to the U.S. Motorola also states "There are no other differences between the Motorola RAZR™ and the Motorola RAZR™ Developer Edition other than the unlockable bootloader."

If the harware is the same, it may be possible to obtain the software differences from the servers and with hard work from the devs, make it possible for the DROID branded RAZR to become unlocked.

#8 cconcepts

cconcepts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

I remember reading an article about 2 months ago that said software to unlock boot loaders will come with the ics ota....for the razr and another phone.... wish i could fund that article again....id post a link. BUT.....I'll believe it when i see it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#9 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

I remember reading an article about 2 months ago that said software to unlock boot loaders will come with the ics ota....for the razr and another phone.... wish i could fund that article again....id post a link. BUT.....I'll believe it when i see it!

Could you be referring to the software to unlock the phones for global use? This has been included with 4.0.3+

#10 cconcepts

cconcepts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

Could you be referring to the software to unlock the phones for global use? This has been included with 4.0.3+

No this was boot loader software for Verizon's razr.

#11 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

where did Q4 come from?

#12 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

No this was boot loader software for Verizon's razr.

This article mentions the unlockable bootloader as a part of the ICS upgrade, but not specific to Verizon. It mentions "where operators and channel partners will allow it."

#13 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

where did Q4 come from?

After som more research, that was a statement made by moto in 2011, but later changed to "in the comming months"

#14 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

yeah, that was Q4 2011. I made the OPMOSH movement so that's how I know.

#15 dimitri407

dimitri407

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:dimitri407

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

Anyway, back to the original question, I don't think there is a way to monitor the servers in ICS. Am I wrong?

#16 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

yeah, that was Q4 2011. I made the OPMOSH movement so that's how I know.

+1 considering the mass of posts opmosh is still contributing to Moto's social networks I'm sure they would provide more answers if they had them. But they don't.

TSON is exactly right (and thanks for opmosh! I still post lol). They were planning to send unlockable bootloaders via OTA before q4 2011. Obviously it was a lie and Moto is above legal or otherwise ramifications.

I'll believe in any unlocking stuff when I see an xt912 fastboot screen that explicitly says UNLOCKED. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up.

You can't just throw an unlockable mbm on a locked device. Instant permabrick bc of the eFuse.

[ something like a phenomena ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#17 Hero_Indeed

Hero_Indeed

Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

What advatnage would we really get with an unlocked bootloader anyways. I mean we can root and run custom ROMS I dont see what the addition of an unlocked loader wil be?
Posted Image

#18 joeyx2

joeyx2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

It we had a unlocked bootloader all the people on the leaks that are stuck would be able to restore there phones back to 181. E also would have had a full working ics way before the leaks started coming out.

#19 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

better kernals, more customization, it would be easier to develop for it so more custom ROMs and it would gain more attention maybe enough to get official AOKP/CM9 builds.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  • PillClinton likes this
Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#20 dewhashish

dewhashish

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

is there any hope of Google forcing them to release the tools? I love moto's hardware (except the qHD screen on my D4) but the bootloader policy is absolute bull$#!+. i havent heard any news of this happening, so I honestly have no idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users