27 replies to this topic

#1 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

3. Weird rear end/redundant/intrusive shortcuts.

We get it Moto... Android is supposed to be a touch based interface - we need shortcuts to compensate. It just makes sense.
But someone really REALLY dumb must have come up with some of these.

...So you're playing Smash Bros on an emulator. You want to jump, and do a forward aerial attack while moving back. This happens. You pressed three arrow buttons...and Webtop took a screenshot.
Posted Image
This doesn't even make sense.
And now your game lags because Android has to save the screenshot. Great.

So then you go to jump, and do a forward aerial attack, and fall faster. You've pressed up, back, and down.
Posted Image
...Volume up?

...Well lemme try up, back, and down. Maybe it'll be consistent at least.
Posted Image
(nothing happens)

..Okay.

So then you gaze toward the top of your keyboard and realize that there's already dedicated keys for all of these things. Literally...what is the point? And there's no shortcut for useful things like not having to drag to stop running apps. Nice.

#2 - It still feels glitchy and unrefined.

This one's a given. Not only is the stock mouse speed painfully slow, but some things are just awkward to do and it seems like Moto has just turned a blind eye to.

If you have your security set to face unlock with a pattern backup, or even a pattern by itself... just be prepared to be annoyed to hell and back every time your screen locks. Especially if you're like me and you have an OG RAZR, so your screen locks every 15 seconds because you don't want it to die in an hour. Not only is it painful because the mouse is so damn slow, but half of the time it glitches and will actually lock while you're dragging the mouse.

Posted Image

This is literally the biggest pain in the rear end.

On top of that, when your screen DOES decide to lock itself, the CRT animation is in slow motion and your Lapdock screen stays lit up for a good 10 seconds after. Beautiful, 10/10.

Also, for a grand time... try scrolling through your home screens using left and right arrows. It's so laggy it looks like webtop is doing whatever it wants.

I dare not even mention how the phone screen turns on sporadically when you wake your Lapdock from sleep, with a tablet layout, or how the Lapdock doesn't even charge the phone while it's on 4G because the power output is so low (while I was writing this post, I lost 15%!), how doubletap dragging only serves to get in your way when you're doing other things and isn't useful on its own because there's a 2 second delay between when you doubletap and start dragging, and when the cursor actually shows up.
...Also why does the power button not turn on the screen after it locks? Why is the app drawer not widescreen? Why don't text messages and emails take cues from Play Store's "My Apps" landscape layout? Why doesn't the status bar hide in fullscreen apps? There's so many unanswered questions as to the aesthetic decisions and the places that Motorola just... doesn't.

#1 - Market Compatibility
Webtop's software uses tablet mode, Lapdock has a tablet resolution, Lapdock has a keyboard, and Lapdock has a trackpad. How many people do you know that use a keyboard and mouse with their phone? Exactly. Webtop is a TABLET mode. But this tablet mode... doesn't have the TABLET apps.

Posted Image
GIVE ME PHOTOSHOP TOUCH OR GIVE ME DEATH.

This severely cripples what you can do with Webtop mode. We're talking SEVERELY. I was fairly sure in one of the preview videos, I saw a "Webtop only apps" section somewhere, but I must have been mistaken - you cannot download any tablet-only apps. You simply can just make the best of the apps that are downloadable from normal phones, or the apps that work on both that will automatically change to tablet mode. There's no Accuweather tablet, there's no Photoshop Touch.

And without the tablet apps, with all of the glitches, the lack of fullscreen videos and Moto screwing up gaming with intrusive shortcuts... there's just no point. No gaming, fullscreen movies, tablet apps... All Webtop and the lapdock are able to do right now, is make using your phone normally more inconvenient.

#2 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Couple questions here. 1.) Why would you set screen lock time to every 15 seconds??? That is annoying even when I'm just using the phone.

2.) Are you using the .209 leak? And also extended question are you using the stock firmware and not safe strap?

3.) You realize that the on screen shortcuts are part of the emulator not the web top mode right? And I have no idea how the hell you used the on screen buttons and changed volume and took screen shots. If you are using hardware buttons for gaming on either the phone mode/web top mode, then you must be crazy as you clearly state that webtop mode is a TABLET interface which usually means a keyboard and mouse.

4.) If your battery really gets used up to the point that it can't even charge and gain battery life while using it in webtop mode you should get another razr.

5.) Lastly, Web top mode is actually more of a PC interface as you are supposed to connect it to a dock and use a TV/monitor screen with a keyboard and mouse. Tablets are meant to be used without all of that junk.

End rant/EDIT: Why would you use face lock and pattern unlock? No point what so ever.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  • Ghostface likes this
Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Couple questions here. 1.) Why would you set screen lock time to every 15 seconds??? That is annoying even when I'm just using the phone.

2.) Are you using the .209 leak? And also extended question are you using the stock firmware and not safe strap?

3.) You realize that the on screen shortcuts are part of the emulator not the web top mode right? And I have no idea how the hell you used the on screen buttons and changed volume and took screen shots. If you are using hardware buttons for gaming on either the phone mode/web top mode, then you must be crazy as you clearly state that webtop mode is a TABLET interface which usually means a keyboard and mouse.

4.) If your battery really gets used up to the point that it can't even charge and gain battery life while using it in webtop mode you should get another razr.

5.) Lastly, Web top mode is actually more of a PC interface as you are supposed to connect it to a dock and use a TV/monitor screen with a keyboard and mouse. Tablets are meant to be used without all of that junk.

End rant/EDIT: Why would you use face lock and pattern unlock? No point what so ever.

1 question from me...

Why would you quote his entire post lol?
  • joeyx2 likes this

#4 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

1 question from me...

Why would you quote his entire post lol?

Lol I didn't realize that, I'll change it in a second

Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#5 SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Twitter:SnoDrtRider
  • Google+:SnoDrtRider
  • LocationSouth Jersey or Tug Hill, NY
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx, Motorola Xoom Wi Fi

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

One comment...

Gamers... I'll never understand them.

Webtop works great as a business productivity tool... something that it was designed for... You want to play games get a PS, X Box or Game Boy.

#6 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

I have the OG RAZR and I use it heavily. Very heavily. I can barely get 6 hours of use on a good day. The longest battery life I've seen is when I was at a wedding all day and had to pull my phone out every once and a while for texting and a phone call or two. I believe that was 8ish hours. I try to save battery wherever I can - and it's not as annoying as you think at 15 seconds. Most apps where you wouldn't touch the screen for 15 seconds have a wakelock so the screen can't sleep.

But regardless of my reasoning - know that these are features that can be enabled right from the phone itself. There's no reason that LAPDOCK shouldn't work right just because you decided to turn on face unlock, or something.

Yes, I'm using .209, stock. LAPDOCK doesn't work on any ROMs because they're all 2nd-init.

I'm using the keyboard. I didn't disable the onscreen keys because quite frankly it's a pain in the rear end to have to reenable/disable them whenever you plug/unplug your phone from LAPDOCK. The KEYBOARD shortcuts like left-up-right taking a screenshot, make no sense and only get in the way if you want to use your LAPDOCK for gaming.

Lapdock's power output is not the speed of the stock charger, it's way slower. My phone charges just fine while plugged into the wall, but Lapdock is like using your phone while it's plugged into USB. Unless it's in sleep mode, you're probably not going to be gaining anything from having it plugged in except slightly slowed drain.

LMAO my bad, I've been calling Lapdock Webtop this entire time because I wrote this post at 1 am... Oh man. *fixes*

This thread's about Lapdock, though most of these issues are with Webtop as well because they share software. >_<

Um because it's part of the phone? I like faceunlock because it has a nice novelty factor to it. I can be like "Hey guys, check this out!" and whip out my phone and hold it up to my face, and be, in most cases, in my phone faster than I can draw my pattern. And if I can't get it with my face, I hit the white circle and I'm only slowed down by a second-ish total before I can put my pattern in.

One comment...

Gamers... I'll never understand them.

Webtop works great as a business productivity tool... something that it was designed for... You want to play games get a PS, X Box or Game Boy.

If I'm not meant to do anything on my Lapdock except business, (AKA sitting on QuickOffice for hours on end) then why is it that there are dedicated buttons at the top of the keyboard for music? Making calls? I don't see the word business anywhere on the Lapdock's box, either. Hm.
If I want to play games using the keyboard and mouse and bigger screen that I gain when I plug my phone into Lapdock, I think I should be able to. Don't you? I think I should have a pleasant experience whether I open Netflix or an emulator, or if I'm sitting in QuickOffice.

These are multipurpose electronics. Computing devices. They should perform well/ideally no matter what you do. Moto's job is to make sure that it is consistently performing well no matter what I decide to do. I got a smartphone, not a KRZR. lmao.

#7 jlouang

jlouang

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

Wouldn't the mouse speed be faster if you change the pointer speed in settings?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#8 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

Yes, that's why I put "stock mouse speed", meaning before you go in and change it

#9 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Just a quick note... you can set the lapdock to prioritize the phone battery in the settings menu.... meaning it will output more charge power to the phone (but will wear down lapdock battery faster).... didn't know if you were aware of that...

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

#10 risenequinox

risenequinox

Non Sub Bread

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:_JMARvelous_
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

I find webtop mode/lapdock to be amazingly productive as i use it in a business environment. if you want to use it on the big screen for gaming wouldn't you be better off using the mirror image mode?

AbstractWallpapers_00059copy.jpg

#11 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Get a Gameboy or Leap Pad.

#12 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think it's kind of ignorant to waltz into my thread and criticize me for using an accessory that essentially turns my phone into a tablet for gaming.

If you want to refer to one of the many polls about this subject you'll see that business is always dead last when people are asked what they use their tablet for, while gaming is usually in 1st or in a close running. And if you must still criticize me, can you at least drop the attitude?

If you must know, I use Lapdock for quite a few things, I find it a convenient size and application, it's the perfect size to throw in my binder or backpack and write notes on the go. Likewise, I find it a convenient size and application, it's the perfect size to throw in my binder or backpack and waste time playing gameboy games on to go, or to whip it out and play a quick game of Smash Bros against a friend. Maybe a Minibash tournament or two, or some MC3.

I like how nobody is discrediting my points, too, but are only attacking me for using it to play games, or using Face Unlock with my phone.... Really?

#13 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Just to ad, turning your screen on and off alot crushes your battery. Because it scales the CPU up to 1200mhz every time. I thought i would just add to the mess lol.

#14 SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

I like how nobody is discrediting my points, too, but are only attacking me for using it to play games, or using Face Unlock with my phone.... Really?

You really haven't made any points other than the mouse is too slow for gaming which it may be but you also said yourself that "it was too slow on factory settings" so I would assume that once you increased the response rate it is OK?

I don't do gaming except for a little Wii when my friends kids insist the adults play but I think most games are designed to be played with either a special controller or a touch pad device. I would think trying to play games using a mouse and keyboard would be a PITA especially games not designed for that type of input device in which case any type of point you were trying to make is invalid.

#15 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

You really haven't made any points other than the mouse is too slow for gaming which it may be but you also said yourself that "it was too slow on factory settings" so I would assume that once you increased the response rate it is OK?

I don't do gaming except for a little Wii when my friends kids insist the adults play but I think most games are designed to be played with either a special controller or a touch pad device. I would think trying to play games using a mouse and keyboard would be a PITA especially games not designed for that type of input device in which case any type of point you were trying to make is invalid.

Did you miss the entire OP? & no, the mouse is not just too slow for gaming, it's too slow for such a small trackpad in general on stock settings. It takes 4 or 5 full swipes to get from one side of the screen to the other, which is ridiculous. Yeah, after turning it up to 2/3 speed it's fine, though, my entire post was NOT about gaming, it was general problems.

As far as keyboard.. I game a lot using Steam and such on my computer. Games that support hardware buttons (there's lots) work with the Lapdock well. MC3, Shine Runner, emulators, etc.

But that's beside the point, whether you're playing a game or not, the shortcuts in #3 do not make any sense. Arrow up + Arrow down + Arrow right turns volume up, but Arrow up + Arrow down + Arrow left doesn't do anything? Arrow right + Arrow up + Arrow left takes a screenshot? Honestly, there's a lot of seemingly random shortcuts like that, that you can find if you press like 5 keys at once. I was able to turn volume up, pause music, and skip track by pressing 123qweasd repeatedly. They aren't practical AND there's already dedicated buttons for these things. It's unnecessary. I'm honestly convinced it's a hardware glitch or something.

Just to ad, turning your screen on and off alot crushes your battery. Because it scales the CPU up to 1200mhz every time. I thought i would just add to the mess lol.

Seriously? Seems kinda foreign to me since the screen is the #1 battery hog :x

#16 SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

5 keys at once? Who needs to press 5 keys at once? Seems to me that you are really reaching to find problems.

You better be careful you may end up launching a Russian ICBM or something.

#17 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

this is clearly the last time i make a post like this on this community again, wow @ the amount of trolls & people completely ignoring 99% of what the OP says looking for an opportunity to jump down my throat

let's just forget i even posted this

#18 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hahaha x2 for Leap Pad!

• Ghostface likes this

#19 Groundhound

Groundhound

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Maybe in the not to distant future one of these things will work with it:

#20 Ghostface

Ghostface

Giggling Carebare From the land of Jelly Beans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIn your Mommy's bed. Your dad is looking at me funny though.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

I totally Agree withtheonlycosmic .

Just a quick note... you can set the lapdock to prioritize the phone battery in the settings menu.... meaning it will output more charge power to the phone (but will wear down lapdock battery faster).... didn't know if you were aware of that...

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

HOW? WHERE IN SETTINGS? WHERE IS IT??? .. I HAVE THE LAPDOCK 100 BUT WHERE CAN YOU CONFIGURE THIS>> SHOW ME CUZ I CAN'T FIND IT.. YES IM USING A LEAKED STOCK ROM

I find webtop mode/lapdock to be amazingly productive as i use it in a business environment. if you want to use it on the big screen for gaming wouldn't you be better off using the mirror image mode?

You can't use the mirror mode with the lapdock. this only work for tv's and monitors but not the lapdock

Leap Pad LMAO

I think it's kind of ignorant to waltz into my thread and criticize me for using an accessory that essentially turns my phone into a tablet for gaming.

If you want to refer to one of the many polls about this subject you'll see that business is always dead last when people are asked what they use their tablet for, while gaming is usually in 1st or in a close running. And if you must still criticize me, can you at least drop the attitude?

If you must know, I use Lapdock for quite a few things, I find it a convenient size and application, it's the perfect size to throw in my binder or backpack and write notes on the go. Likewise, I find it a convenient size and application, it's the perfect size to throw in my binder or backpack and waste time playing gameboy games on to go, or to whip it out and play a quick game of Smash Bros against a friend. Maybe a Minibash tournament or two, or some MC3.

Dude if you want to play games on it.. Get ONLIVE! you will not regret it. I have an Onlive account, and pay $9.99/mo for the playpack bundle.. and I just used my ps3 controller to play Onlive Games on some of the compatible games with my lapdock... man this is Really COOL Sh*t, you should try it.. although I'm still waitin on the official game controller from Onlive. WTF I ordered it 2 weeks ago man. For you may be better off buying it from ebay to avoid the wait times

Maybe in the not to distant future one of these things will work with it:

http://youtu.be/_d6KuiuteIA

I pre ordered this weeks ago.. and I very much doubt it will work with android.
  • Ghostface likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users