162 replies to this topic

#61 rekamyenom

rekamyenom

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

I have a few U8680's and would like to try this out. Willing to risk bricking a $100 phone, but after much reading it is very unclear, who tried what on which phone. Please clarify when reporting results, what you tried on which model phone please.

Can anyone give me specifics on the U8680? Does anyone have it fully functional on the U8680?

Good Stuff! 

#62 bangeko

bangeko

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

I have U8680 running ICS now. So far so good but when I charge it with OFF position, it goes to cwm.
  • rekamyenom likes this

#63 rekamyenom

rekamyenom

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

I have U8680 running ICS now. So far so good but when I charge it with OFF position, it goes to cwm.

I have not Flashed the ICS ROM as of yet but do have my 8680 rooted with SU and have CWM Custom recovery on the device. Was hoping to get a little more info from 8680 users that have flashed the ICS ROM first.

Yeah weird mine does the same thing when trying to charge the 8680 when it is off, when I plug the cord into the bottom of the phone (wall plug already plugged in), The Android  4G T-Mobile Logo shows up for about 5-6 seconds like it's going to start up, then a yellow screen for a second, then it goes black/grey and seems as though its charging (the yellow charging indicator led light is on in the upper right, next to the ear piece). If I use the volume up or down buttons while its charging the phone wakes up and CWM is there, but if I am not actively playing with/using the volume up/down rocker buttons, it seems to go back to sleep and continue charging (hopefully it is really charging). Obviously this is not normal. I wonder what is happening here. Weird !!!

Update Edit Note: When I use the USB cord from my computer (opposed to the wall unit charger) while the unit is off, as if I was going to charge it, the same Android  4G T-Mobile Logo shows up for about 5-6 seconds like it's going to start up, but then if I play with the volume up/down rocker buttons, CWM shows up all distorted in a split screen (left to right) like double vision, there are two of them, and the background primary color is all purple. I wonder if putting the stock recovery img file back would rectify this? If it matters, the computer does NOT recognize the device in this mode. Weird... 

Has anyone written the stock original recovery img back to the 8680 AFTER having CWM on their device? Results? (I may try thins myself unless anyone can tell me why I should not)

Any help on the weird charging mode while off? Anyone or EVERYONE else having the same issue?

#64 bangeko

bangeko

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

In other words, we need kernel.
I use pimp my rom for tweak some settings. Now camera detail much better.

#65 branzy1

branzy1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationghana
  • Current Device(s):huawei u8730

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

playing games using u8730 works fine  and  movies 

#66 branzy1

branzy1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationghana
  • Current Device(s):huawei u8730

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

on the side of the auto rotate ,you can use a software called Auto-Rotate switch  

if can be found at play store . hope it helps 

#67 RockinLoud

RockinLoud

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomewhere
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3 (Spint) Galaxy S2 (sprint) Huawei MyTouch Q (U8730 T-Mobile)

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hey, welcome to the discussion.

I've basically done the same as you have, just a bit of hacking to make the rom more usable. I've been trying to share any hacks I thought others might find useful, hence the key mapping. I'm also using an app for the screen rotate issue. I'm not really a phone dev, but I am a Linux guy, hence I tend to try to fix it in userspace. 

I believe there is a kernel driver in the stock rom that handles the keyboard. The code that's currently handling it is really intended for plugging in an external keyboard. The Generic.* files are the catch all that get called if no other keymap files are explicitly referenced by the driver. As we have no specific driver, we fix the codes there. The alt key assignment does work, but the  huawei soft keyboard app catches those button presses, which is why it has to be frozen or uninstalled first. It could be that a better keymap would make more of that work. I should really restore my Gingerbread backup and look at how it works there.

There are Gingerbread kernel sources, linked in another thread around here. I've only spent a few minutes poking at them, and didn't find anything that looked like the keyboard driver. Not sure that Huawei actually included much of their own code there, but again, I haven't taken much time to look.

The hardware is actually quite nice. It just ended up being T-Mobile's red headed step child.

Oh certainly. Like I said, the keymapping is a hack to make it more usable. I'll keep working at it, and report any further progress. Best of luck to you.

Got the gingerbread rom all taken apart right now. Got the source code uncomplied to see if i can find anything that looks like the slider control. However now it gets into legality issues if i rip it (if i find it) being T-mobile's/Huaweis unlike googles open source. so might just give up and make yall a new one and distro it. Still want to find it to refrence it. First phone ive worked on with a slider actually :p. Sorry been gone a couple days again have other projects. I agree the hardwares not bad, thats y im putting any effort into it. Yea and i knew about the generic files :p Use quite a bit of external tools on my devices.

One of the smartest guys your'll meet. Not even being cocky. Love technology so much.

Built: 6 computers (5 intel, 1 Amd)  1 personal os (Unix/Java Based. Custom file system) 3 current Android Projects from scratch.... and so much more.

#68 rygy

rygy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hey Guys, 

I tried this procedure on my U8730.  After rebooting my phone, it just seems to hang on the "android" screen...Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks for any help!

• bigeye135 likes this

#69 jawshii

jawshii

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

I've been wanting to upgrade my U8680 to ICS, I tried to follow the instructions on the first page but I have no idea what I'm doing and the directions don't make sense to a noob like me. Can anyone help?

#70 RockinLoud

RockinLoud

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomewhere
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S3 (Spint) Galaxy S2 (sprint) Huawei MyTouch Q (U8730 T-Mobile)

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hey Guys, 

I tried this procedure on my U8730.  After rebooting my phone, it just seems to hang on the "android" screen...Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks for any help!

did u delete cust.img on the image folder? also did you install the zip via CWM

One of the smartest guys your'll meet. Not even being cocky. Love technology so much.

Built: 6 computers (5 intel, 1 Amd)  1 personal os (Unix/Java Based. Custom file system) 3 current Android Projects from scratch.... and so much more.

#71 RockinLoud

RockinLoud

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Good news guys, got some free time im working on a 4.3 "jelly bean" version using the AOSP source code. Ill make sure to include my own slider code in a seprete zip file so u can use CWM to flash it to the current rom provided here if u wish not to upgrade over possible performance issues.

• magikstar29 likes this

#72 toquer

toquer

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

is there a way to get the gingerbread version of google maps installed instead of the ics version. it is about the most useless app when locked in landscape and i need mapping directions far too often for how frustrating it is.
hope in the jellybean version they made it better.
ok, uninstalled mapping updates and its better but not like it was before. i really hope i can use the old version.

#73 rygy

rygy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

did u delete cust.img on the image folder? also did you install the zip via CWM

I did both of these.  I tried with bot the cust.img inside the images folder, and tried deleting cust.img from image folder.  Both scenearios produce the same behaviour regrettably - and yes, I used CWM to install the zip from sdcard.  

#74 bangeko

bangeko

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'm on ICS and I miss fmradio :-\

#75 RockinLoud

RockinLoud

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

is there a way to get the gingerbread version of google maps installed instead of the ics version. it is about the most useless app when locked in landscape and i need mapping directions far too often for how frustrating it is.
hope in the jellybean version they made it better.
ok, uninstalled mapping updates and its better but not like it was before. i really hope i can use the old version.

Im building from the bottom up. This rom was ripped from another phone without a slider. What they didnt relize when they did this the hardware config is slightly different. So mine will be designed for this phone specificly. i havnt found any one else with a custom rom for this phone so ill be the first. If anyone wants to add to my code im setting up a github repo today. Making this an offical project of mine.

As a temparay fix for ur maps issue may i suggest looking for an app that locks the screen in either portiait or landscape. There r many on the market, but having the slider extended seems to help

• fflint likes this

#76 RockinLoud

RockinLoud

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I did both of these.  I tried with bot the cust.img inside the images folder, and tried deleting cust.img from image folder.  Both scenearios produce the same behaviour regrettably - and yes, I used CWM to install the zip from sdcard.  

i suggest loading the original firmware back on, found on another fourm and redo the process.

#77 rygy

rygy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

i suggest loading the original firmware back on, found on another fourm and redo the process.

I'm going to give this a shot from a fresh install - thanks for the advice!

#78 rygy

rygy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

I flashed my u8730 back to factory default as provided by magikstar29 in another link - followed the instructions again with the same outcome - after flashing the zip and rebooting, they grey 'android' screen just sits there.  In my image folder, I have boot.img, recovery.img cwm.img EMMCBOOT.MBN, and amss.mbn - does that look correct?  

#79 rygy

rygy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Does the phone need to be rooted before flashing the rom?

#80 surfer43

surfer43

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Huawei U8680

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

How did you flash the default firmware? Was it an update.zip or a zip file with update.app in it?

Make sure:

You need to have the boot.img provided in this thread with date modified: 2013, recovery.img provided in this thread with date modified: 2013, original EMMCBOOT.MBN with date modified: 1990, and original amss.mbn with date modified: 1990. Name the cwm recovery file in the first post of this thread "recovery.img" and the boot.img "boot.img". Move the originals somewhere else and put the new recovery.img and boot.img in the folder. Unplug the battery and boot pressing power and up volume and you should be in cwm.

Boot into cwm; Install update.zip; reboot

If this doesn't work you might try: getting the factory image folder for the original EMMCBOOT.MBN and amss.mbn from someone; Remove or put back cust.img; re-download files; retry if cwm crashed during the update

It worked on u8680 for me after installing via cwm SUPERSU but it may not be compatible with your device: http://forum.xda-dev...16&d=1379363594

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users