#1 PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Since I, like most here, keep a lot of sensitive personal and professional information on my Razr, I decided it was time to secure it. I've been putting off encryption with all the leaking and flashing and leaking and flashing, but since that seems to have calmed down, now seemed as good a time as any. I also enable enforcement of X number of bad passwords = wipe on my personal exchange server.

Prior to the encryption, I was benchmarking around 2800-3000 on Quadrant on the .211 leak, rooted, using SetCPU to force it into performance governor 1200max/1200min.

After full system encryption, including internal and SD storage, I'm averaging around 2400-2600. This benchmark also taken on Performance governor, 1200/1200. I've tried the Kernel performance tweaks in the development thread, but honestly can't say that I've noticed any palpable differences, nor differences in benchmarks (the thread warned not to expect any)

I can't really say I've noticed much slowdown in the phone after encryption though. I don't do much on the device that's very processor or storage intensive anyway. It's mostly email, forum reading, a game of angry birds on the plane, and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. I use SetCPU to keep it underclocked to 1000mhz when on battery with the hotplug governor (done wonders for the battery life), and even with that I haven't noticed a seat of the pants slowdown. I'd be interested to find out if our processors include a native AES instruction set or something similar to the newer Intel Core series processors that offloads some of the work of encryption and decryption. I don't have any before screenshots from Quadrant, but an after is attached. Anyone else notice a similar change?

Attached Files

"No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced" -- Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: encryption, quadrant, security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users