#1 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Downloaded anything from "apkdeveloper"? Android malware has been recently discovered being hosted in Google Play. All of the apps released by this developer are malware-laden copies of other dev's apps. The malware author used popular app names for his malicious apps by adding "super" at the end of the name. He then repackages the app with malware and re-posts them on the Play Store. All of their apps have the same icon and the suffix “Super.” For example, the fake 'Temple Run' is called 'Temple Run Super'.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

45.89KB   72 downloads

He also posted fake reviews to lure innocent users into downloading the malware .
Permissions for this app included:
  • approximate location
  • precise location
  • full network access
  • read phone calls
  • mod or delete data on your sd card
  • find accounts
  • control vibration
  • run at start-up
  • test access to protected storage
Once discovered, the author was immediately banned and the software removed from google Play.

Constant vigilance people! Spread awareness...not malware!
Always check and question the permissions of an app prior to installing! Good apps only use the bare minimum. Common sense should tell you when an app is using more permissions than necessary. Perfect example.... There should be no reason for wallpaper apps needing to read your sms messages, access your calls, account data etc.

Keep the following link handy to report inappropriate apps:

Via:

• neckchop and RikRong like this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#2 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Perhaps I'm a bit of a cynic here, or I'm assuming too much of people. If you see two versions of an app, one being free and ad-supported and one with a near identical title by a different publisher, all sorts of alarms should go off in your head. At worst, don't download either. At best, do about 45 seconds of research and find out who really makes the app before installing either.

#3 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

Perhaps I'm a bit of a cynic here, or I'm assuming too much of people. If you see two versions of an app, one being free and ad-supported and one with a near identical title by a different publisher, all sorts of alarms should go off in your head. At worst, don't download either. At best, do about 45 seconds of research and find out who really makes the app before installing either.

Makes sense and most people are smarter than that. However there, as always, is that 2% of users that simply don't pay attention and watch out for this stuff.

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Posted Image

#4 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Downloaded anything from "apkdeveloper"?

Nope.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scam developer google play, security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users