43 replies to this topic

#1 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've been after a coworker to upgrade her phone for a while now. Yesterday her phone took a dive into a pool so she finally relented. Went to Verizon and the saleslady told us all grandfathered unlimited plans must be changed out to upgrade the phone as of June 28.

I could have sworn I read there wasn't a forced plan change. This totally sucks.

She doesn't want or have $600 for a full priced Razr. We are looking at other phones because of this. Anyone have recommendations? She wants a semi-modern phone and would love one with hdmi out but wants to stay under $200 and not lose her plan.

#2 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Swappa.com Cheap near new phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#3 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I've been after a coworker to upgrade her phone for a while now. Yesterday her phone took a dive into a pool so she finally relented. Went to Verizon and the saleslady told us all grandfathered unlimited plans must be changed out to upgrade the phone as of June 28.

I could have sworn I read there wasn't a forced plan change. This totally sucks.

She doesn't want or have $600 for a full priced Razr. We are looking at other phones because of this. Anyone have recommendations? She wants a semi-modern phone and would love one with hdmi out but wants to stay under $200 and not lose her plan.

Craigslist.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#4 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

If you can find a screen for razr ill get you a cracked lcd razr for cheep cheep, due to the situation.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#5 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

I picked up my lightly used Razr for 250 off craigslist. I have heard of someone mentioning a situation where they were not "forced" off unlimited, but I think that's a rare occasion.

Good luck in your search.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#6 knghts50

knghts50

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Google+:kevin.page3
  • LocationCopperas Cove, TX (Fort Hood)

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

that sucks i remember if you want to keep unlimited you have to pay full price which sucks. swappa you can get a razr/nexus/maxx for under 350
Posted Image

#7 zachjeep

zachjeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, I've been on the craigslist train for quite some time now, just gotta sit tight for a deal and be on them listings because they go fast. Just got my girl a maxx for 200 bucks! Pawn shop, didn't care what it was worth, just wanted it gone.

#8 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, I've been on the craigslist train for quite some time now, just gotta sit tight for a deal and be on them listings because they go fast. Just got my girl a maxx for 200 bucks! Pawn shop, didn't care what it was worth, just wanted it gone.

Nice

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#9 Guest_R3Ds_*

Guest_R3Ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would just grab a maxx from swappa.

R3Ds Themes

#10 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Got my Nexus on swappa Brand new for 350

Sent From My Semi-Stock Droid RAZR Using Tapatalk 2 Beta 69

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#11 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Ebay has regular Razr's in excellent condition all day long for $250 or so.

Or if you just need to get her a 4G phone to keep the unlimited, get one of the non flagship LTE phones on the cheap and then tell her to save her pennies til the Razr HD drops or the new Nexus.
Posted Image

#12 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Or just add a line buy an Android and then have them put it on the her line and cancel the data on the new line and pay the 12.50 a month for the added. Since each line is independent that shouldn't change anything

Sent from ROOTED SAFE STRAPPED RAZR SHARP RAZR MAXX rocking IKREAM dazzled with URBAN theme

#13 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

The Verizon plan changes effective 6/28 were announced a while ago.

#14 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm sure you can get a Bionic for $150 or cheaper....or a Thunderbolt or something. Be a pal, buy her the phone....you may be *ahem* **wink wink** rewarded for your genorosity.

The Bionic is still a solid phone and as I said above, just tell her to save her pennies, or succumb to giving up her unlimited.
Posted Image

#15 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

Upgrade another line on the account if she has one then swap the phone. (She will keep unlimited data this way.)

Or as someone said already. Add a line, swap the phone. (This will drop the data on the new line.)

#16 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Upgrade another line on the account if she has one then swap the phone. (She will keep unlimited data this way.)

Or as someone said already. Add a line, swap the phone. (This will drop the data on the new line.)

If you upgrade any line by purchasing a phone through Verizon, you will NOT keep unlimited data. I know there are rumors going around that "as long as you don't change anything on your plan, you can keep your unlimited data." These a completey false. The absolute ONLY ways to avoid losing your unlimited data are to buy FULL RETAIL from Verizon (meaning $600 for a phone) or to buy from a third party site like craigslist.org. That's it.

#17 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Are you a Verizon employee? How can you guarantee this?

#18 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

That's fact. Signing onto a new contract whether you change something or not will take your unlimited data

Sent From My Semi-Stock Droid RAZR Using Tapatalk 2 Beta 69

#19 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

It's a fact, there's no reason to guarantee it, I do however have some tweets from Verizon Support that I can post if you need actual proof.

Lots of people have had this happen to them. You have to buy a phone at full retail price or buy from craigslist to keep your unlimited data, nothing else will work.

#20 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's a fact, there's no reason to guarantee it, I do however have some tweets from Verizon Support that I can post if you need actual proof.

Lots of people have had this happen to them. You have to buy a phone at full retail price or buy from craigslist to keep your unlimited data, nothing else will work.

You are incorrect. An alternate upgrade DOES WORK as I did one yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users