• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

That's fact. Signing onto a new contract whether you change something or not will take your unlimited data

Sent From My Semi-Stock Droid RAZR Using Tapatalk 2 Beta 69

I am referring to upgrading a different line then switching the now customer owned phone onto your unlimited data line. I guarantee you 100% this does work.

#22 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I am referring to upgrading a different line then switching the now customer owned phone onto your unlimited data line. I guarantee you 100% this does work.

Yeah. That works. Costs some extra cash for the plan though

If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#23 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

I can guarantee you it doesn't!

Posted Image Posted Image

#24 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I can guarantee you it doesn't!

Posted Image Posted Image

He means creating a new line, taking the current phone and putting it on that line and taking the new phone and putting it on your current line.

If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#25 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

You can upgrade one line then swap the phone to another line.

I DID IT YESTERDAY.

#26 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

You can upgrade one line then swap the phone to another line.

I DID IT YESTERDAY.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. So you just keep adding lines every time you want to upgrade??? Yeah I'm sure Verizon will never catch on to that. /sarcasm.

Just remember, there is a line in your Verizon contract that states that "Verizon Wireless retains the right to cancel your service for any reason."

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#27 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. So you just keep adding lines every time you want to upgrade??? Yeah I'm sure Verizon will never catch on to that. /sarcasm.

Just remember, there is a line in your Verizon contract that states that "Verizon Wireless retains the right to cancel your service for any reason."

I said nothing about adding lines. Are you not actually reading my posts?!

Let me spell it out:

Line 1: Feature phone Eligible for upgrade
Line 2: Unlimited data smartphone

You renew the contract on line 1 and purchase a smartphone.

You reactive original feature phone on line 1.

You take the now inactive smartphone and activate on line 2 keeping your unlimited data.

As for your scenario:
I highly doubt Verizon will cancel your service for adding a new line every 2 years. (More lines = more revenue.)

#28 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yeah. That works. Costs some extra cash for the plan though

It doesn't. The data plan follows the handset so if you reactivate the original equipment on the first line the data plan will be removed.

#29 johnnyfrost

johnnyfrost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Let me spell it out:

You take the now inactive smartphone and activate on line 2 keeping your unlimited data.

As for your scenario:
I highly doubt Verizon will cancel your service for adding a new line every 2 years. (More lines = more revenue.)

and what if you only have Line 1 with unlimited data and want to upgrade? sounds like that was the deal in the OP so your solution doesn't work without adding another line...honestly unless you use 5gb a month i don't know why people "need" to keep unlimited anyway....so in order to keep your unlimited data plan you have to add another line and end up paying $20 a month (with taxes and such) for a line you don't use? just to keep unlimited data? and 20 a month for a year is $240 you could just put towards a phone off ebay or craigslist...

#30 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

and what if you only have Line 1 with unlimited data and want to upgrade? sounds like that was the deal in the OP so your solution doesn't work without adding another line...honestly unless you use 5gb a month i don't know why people "need" to keep unlimited anyway....so in order to keep your unlimited data plan you have to add another line and end up paying $20 a month (with taxes and such) for a line you don't use? just to keep unlimited data?

You are right. My solution isn't a fix for everyone but a good workaround for a lot of people. I didn't see if he said he only had 1 line so I was throwing it out there.

I personally use about 5-6GB/Month (A lot of Netflix/Hulu/Pandora)

#31 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

You are all wrong nuff said ;)

#32 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

You are all wrong nuff said

:-p LOL

#33 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Let me spell it out:

As for your scenario:

OK so help me understand this. I have 4 lines. 1 is a feature phone with an upgrade available. Then I have my line with my RAZR on it. So I upgrade that feature phone to a smartphone, then reactivate the feature phone. Then use the now deactivated smartphone to activate on my line with the RAZR?

That makes sense but aren't you screwing over the person with the feature phone if they have unlimited data? If the feature phone has unlimited data, then you upgrade it, it loses unlimited. Regardless if you reactivate the feature phone or not.

#34 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

OK so help me understand this. I have 4 lines. 1 is a feature phone with an upgrade available. Then I have my line with my RAZR on it. So I upgrade that feature phone to a smartphone, then reactivate the feature phone. Then use the now deactivated smartphone to activate on my line with the RAZR?

That makes sense but aren't you screwing over the person with the feature phone if they have unlimited data? If the feature phone has unlimited data, then you upgrade it, it loses unlimited. Regardless if you reactivate the feature phone or not.

Feature phones don't usually have unlimited data. (Flip phone/keyboard phone) not many people pay $30 for unlimited data on a flip.

If you have 2 smartphones then one would lose the unlimited data now.

It's not a perfect fix but buys some extra time at unlimited with a new phone.

#35 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Feature phones don't usually have unlimited data. (Flip phone/keyboard phone) not many people pay $30 for unlimited data on a flip.

If you have 2 smartphones then one would lose the unlimited data now.

It's not a perfect fix but buys some extra time at unlimited with a new phone.

True, sorry for misunderstanding you before, thanks!
  • milkshed27 likes this

#36 STLRampage

STLRampage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

True, sorry for misunderstanding you before, thanks!

No biggie. I just try help out when I can.
  • milkshed27 likes this

#37 kendive

kendive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I got my RAZR MAXX on CL brand new in box for $300. I will never buy a new phone from Verizon again. Never...
History: RAZR MAXX / Mot Bionic / HTC TBolt / HTC DInc / BB Tour / BB Storm / BB Curve / Voyager / Env Orange / V3m / E815

#38 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

You are incorrect. An alternate upgrade DOES WORK as I did one yesterday.

Historically they have audited lines a month or so down the road to remedy this.

Reference example: people using workaround to get unlim data via adding tethering. - They went back months later and fixed it.

Fair warning

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#39 priddyma

priddyma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDeKalb, IL
  • Current Device(s):HTC One XL, Motorola DROID RAZR

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

My mom's iPhone took a dip in the water, she got a new one, and they made her change our family plan to a share everything, so I would assume from now on they are going to force you into the plan unless you pay full retail for the phone....
DROID RAZR XT912 Batakang JB | Samsung Galaxy SIII Pebble Blue - On the way!

#40 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Or you do like me and purchase the phone outside of Verizon. Yeah, it was a little more expensive than getting it subsidized, but it doesn't renew your contract and I kept my unlimited data.

My phone was about $50 more than getting it subsidized through Verizon. Sure, it's a used phone, but I also purchased insurance for 2-years that replaces the phone outright. They send me the new phone first and then once I get it and swap out my SIMM card, I send in the old one.

In the end, doing it this way saves me money in the end rather than having to go from $30/month for unlimited data to a minimum of $50/month for 1gb/month or more. It's just not feasible for me to upgrade my phone through Verizon right now as no one else in my family has a smart phone nor a data plan.

Oh, and I've been working with a Verizon rep because I want to allow my wife to upgrade to a better phone so she's going to get it through my final new-every-two and the Verizon rep said getting a new phone will NOT remove my unlimited data plan because what we are doing is moving the new-every-two from my phone to her phone line.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users