• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 2302jason

2302jason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Motorola has been talking about releasing a bootloader unlock tool for a while now. But VERY recently they've said that more info is coming soon. So let's say this DOES happen. Do you think the Droid Razr (CDMA) will be included in this fun, or will we somehow get screwed over? I have a feeling we will be out of luck, but I am no expert.

Secondly, what will this mean for us, if we can unlock the bootloader? I had a Galaxy Nexus up until a week ago, and obviously the unlocked bootloader resulted in a huge variety of ROMs to choose from. Do you think this will happen for us? Will devs suddenly start developing more for us, and make bigger and better ROMs? Or will the activity kind of stay the same?

Discuss.

#2 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

There might not be more ROMs, but development would definitely be faster, as the dev could attach a kernel with the ROM instead of designing the ROM around Moto's kernel. Also flashing everything would be easier and we wouldn't have to bother with safestrap.

#3 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

And I would think....maybe...that an unlock tool would work for all Moto devices.

#4 fusion3286

fusion3286

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:stephen_lacman
  • Google+:Stephen Lacman
  • LocationBoston

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Anyone got a link for a source for this? I'm curious.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
OG Razr -- INFEKTED -- .211, .214 kernel -- InteractiveX governor

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

And I would think....maybe...that an unlock tool would work for all Moto devices.

I follow Motorola on all social media and haven't heard anything.
  • PillClinton and c_live_lee like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#6 neur0tk

neur0tk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Twitter:neur0tk
  • Google+:neur0tk1@gmail.com
  • LocationLatrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Motorola has been talking about releasing a bootloader unlock tool for a while now. But VERY recently they've said that more info is coming soon. So let's say this DOES happen. Do you think the Droid Razr (CDMA) will be included in this fun, or will we somehow get screwed over? I have a feeling we will be out of luck, but I am no expert.

Secondly, what will this mean for us, if we can unlock the bootloader? I had a Galaxy Nexus up until a week ago, and obviously the unlocked bootloader resulted in a huge variety of ROMs to choose from. Do you think this will happen for us? Will devs suddenly start developing more for us, and make bigger and better ROMs? Or will the activity kind of stay the same?

I replaced my Gnex with a Razr Maxx I like this phone a lot wish the boot loader was unlocked so we could have a variety of roms/kernels to flash bra />
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#7 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

I follow Motorola on all social media and haven't heard anything.

Neither have I. Just my thought that if they do unlock, it would be available for all devices. But I don't think they will anytime soon.

#8 2302jason

2302jason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#9 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Don't hold your breath!

#10 fusion3286

fusion3286

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:stephen_lacman
  • Google+:Stephen Lacman
  • LocationBoston

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

*holds breath patiently waiting for bootloader unlock* .... *passes out*
OG Razr -- INFEKTED -- .211, .214 kernel -- InteractiveX governor

#11 thisismalhotra

thisismalhotra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Kernels are the big thing, specially for OG razr owners, if bootloader is unlocked we can get custom kernels to improve battery life responsiveness etc

#12 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

My crystal ball says...

You might actually see this happen before too long. The main reason that Verizon didn't want people rooting/rom'ing their phones is because of the free tethering. Get everybody off of the unlimited plans, then who cares. They can't use more data then they are allocated. And if they do, more cash to Verizon.

Crazy?

#13 FutureBear

FutureBear

Flying Spaghetti Savior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

The unlimited data might be a bit of it, but since you can do that just rooting, and if I am not mistaken, there are ways to do it without root I wouldn't say it plays a big part. The biggest part is people ruining their phone and then trying to get warranty. it is the same people on here that blame developers for bricking their device. Companies might be trying to rip us off, but that is no excuse for us to rip them off. Honesty and integrity is what we need and I don't see that happening on either side. The only way things will get better is if we as consumers stop trying to rip companies off like walmart and verizon by returning defunct items beyond their date or wrongly returning items we ourselves damaged, then we request that the warranties become better and the bootloaders become unlocked. After that if it doesn't work we need to boycott and do petitions. However as it stands right now for every honest consumer, there are ten dishonest ones. So I do not think it will get better. If you really want an unlocked bootloader start MIT. Do some advanced engineering classes. Learn about programming at a base level. Do some reverse engineering. Become as good as the guy that hacked the ps3, then hack the razr. Until then, we are stuck!

This of course comes from someone who has lost all faith in humanity by seeing lying and cheating.

Unlocked bootloaders would mean much better rom releases. I personally can not wait till i can get a fully ported Diaxianos with the kernal. It is by far my favorite rom. Also the CM9 rom releases are not as fast as they would be if we had the kernel.
  • phispher likes this

#14 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I agree to a certain extent, because replacing those devices does have an administrative cost associated with it. But unless you physically damage the phone it isn't "dead." Manufacturers have toolsets that we don't have and can restore a device to original state very quickly. Our "Hard Brick" is usually just a "Reimage" to them.

#15 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Nevermind, already posted.
I think that Motorola is just stringing us along.

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#16 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I wouldn't expect one for vzw devices. Might be able to trick it though... ;)

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#17 larrygeary

larrygeary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hey, whatever happened to the RAZR "Developer Edition"? Last I heard it was released with a locked bootloader and it couldn't be unlocked.

#18 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

They can combat the warranty repair problems if they treat it like the unlock for the bootloader on my Transformer Prime. It sends a message to Asus and puts your device's SN into a database of unlocked devices so that you can never claim warranty service again. (permantly voids mfg warranty)

(And permanatly adds text to the BL screen indicating your unlocked, no way to "re-lock" your device)

#19 joeyx2

joeyx2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

If i understand this correctly with a factory cable and a unlocked bootloader you can't brick your phone which would mean less replacement phones. I remember my og Droid with unlocked bootloader. I was able to wipe the phone completely with only the recovery installed and install whatever i wanted. I do think its because of people tethering to much and once just about everyone is on the shared data plan they will consider unlocking the bootloaders.

#20 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I asked a guy at Verizon tonight why they locked them down. He's a manager and said exactly what I thought. They lock them because of false warranty claims. They say that unlocking them means people would hack, some that don't know how to recovery would claim warranty replacements when issues happened.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users