Photo

6.16.215 Ics Update Leak (Install From 211)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1134 replies to this topic

#761 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Got my maxx about a week ago...have been relatively light on dl'ing apps and what not, live in a fairly good service area, use wifi throughout the day fairly often, etc.

I flashed .215 over stock .211 and haven't rooted my device yet..I wiped data/cache throughout that process a couple of times just to be safe..I've also already changed the network to lte/cdma/evdo..

I'm not seeing anything dazzling in regards to battery life as it seems some of you are...

Am I just a heavier user than I think? Or something absolutely important that I might've missed?

If anyone could give some recommendations as to what I should try, maybe point me to a "for dummies" battery saving guide, etc - I'd appreciate it.

2 MAJOR ways to save battery are set it to CDMA auto (prl) ,this turns off 4G and if you don't have 4G in your area will give a significant boost to battery life. second is to setup a smart action to disable data and background sync when screen is off, with just those 2 settings on a stock .211 maxx will give you about 2.5-3 hours per percent of battery when screen is off.

Other tips,
Some apps are just battery hogs (ie most of the Angry Birds franchise, and anything that keeps a data connection for that matter).
Use WIFI WHENEVER possible (it uses far less power then 3G or 4G).

#762 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Got my maxx about a week ago...have been relatively light on dl'ing apps and what not, live in a fairly good service area, use wifi throughout the day fairly often, etc.

I flashed .215 over stock .211 and haven't rooted my device yet..I wiped data/cache throughout that process a couple of times just to be safe..I've also already changed the network to lte/cdma/evdo..

I'm not seeing anything dazzling in regards to battery life as it seems some of you are...

Am I just a heavier user than I think? Or something absolutely important that I might've missed?

If anyone could give some recommendations as to what I should try, maybe point me to a "for dummies" battery saving guide, etc - I'd appreciate it.

This guide by me! :)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#763 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

Yesterday, something was draining my battery like crazy to the point my battery died. Not sure what caused it, but we went into a restaurant and my battery was at 32%. Within an hour, it was at 9% and then eventually died.

I'm currently running Eclipse 1.2RC1 and the .215 OTA Leak. I haven't had an issue before with the battery, so I'm not sure if possibly there was a runaway process. Problem is, I couldn't tell what was draining the battery since the phone died. After recharging of course, it's pretty much a lost cause.

However, today I did notice that my SetCPU profiles were gone! I had recently fastbooted my phone back to stock 211, upgraded to 215 and then flashed Eclipse. I have a feeling I forgot to save my SetCPU settings and that's possibly what happened.

I'll have to wait and see.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#764 just lou

just lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

We need a new leak. .215 is so 10 days ago. :P
  • larrygeary likes this

#765 nightwatcher

nightwatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

if you're on stock .211, this is all you need

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I am confused.. and I may have read this some where.. been reading this from the beginning.. but this file name says 211.. thought it should say 215... can someone clearify please...

#766 nightwatcher

nightwatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

another noob question.. if I am running a ROM.. and it say 215... why do I care what was on the only (stock) side of safe strap... guess I am missing something...

#767 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

I am confused.. and I may have read this some where.. been reading this from the beginning.. but this file name says 211.. thought it should say 215... can someone clearify please...

Motorola names the files for what version they are to be installed over.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

#768 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

another noob question.. if I am running a ROM.. and it say 215... why do I care what was on the only (stock) side of safe strap... guess I am missing something...

Because there are other things that are contained in an update such as updated kernels and radios.

Even though the rom is based off a version, it doesn't contain kernels or radios. Those are what's on your unsafe side and its shared.

#769 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

+1
Posted Image

#770 nightwatcher

nightwatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Because there are other things that are contained in an update such as updated kernels and radios.

Even though the rom is based off a version, it doesn't contain kernels or radios. Those are what's on your unsafe side and its shared.

Was wondering about that.. thank you for the quick reply...

#771 nightwatcher

nightwatcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Motorola names the files for what version they are to be installed over.

Good to know.. thanks.. so the ones we see named for the version have actually been renamed....

appreciate the quick response...

#772 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

After 4.5 hours, I'm at 80% battery life. If this holds true, in 9 hours, I should be at 60%. In 13.5 hours, I should be at 40%, and in 18 hours, I should be at 20% and by 22.5 hours, I should be dead.

So, not quite a day but MUCH better than yesterday when in 1.5 hours, I dropped from 30% battery to dead battery.

I also found that Juice Defender also allows me to set the profile to hotplug. So, I have it set in both JuiceDefender and in SetCPU. It seems to be working well.

Oh, and this is with 4g turned on. Tomorrow, I'll try it with just 3g and see if it makes a difference. It might, but since Juice Defender controls the radios and limits them being turned on for long periods, it might not help by much, but it will be interesting to see.

This also makes me wonder if I had some process that was running away and sucking up CPU cycles and draining the battery?

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#773 Usmc1488

Usmc1488

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I dont think this has been covered in the thread yet, Ive looked. How do you boot into the factory recovery once safestrap has been installed? I keep getting the saf strap screen, but the instructions said to use the factory recovery.

Also, should I flash the .214 kernel before or after I flash the .215 leak?

#774 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

If you haven't rooted yet, you probably have a great deal of bloatware running in the background. Root it, purchase Titanium Backup and search on here for apps that are safe to freeze. Choose what you don't want to use and freeze them. Put SETCPU on it, set your phone to 1200max 300 minimum, Governor to hotplug, I/O to noop, Then make you some Smart Actions. You will notice a big difference. Also search here for the cpusleep.apk so it will go into a deep sleep when off.

#775 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I dont think this has been covered in the thread yet, Ive looked. How do you boot into the factory recovery once safestrap has been installed? I keep getting the saf strap screen, but the instructions said to use the factory recovery.

Also, should I flash the .214 kernel before or after I flash the .215 leak?

YOU CANNOT HAVE SAFESTRAP INSTALLED, you MUST fastboot back to STOCK .211 NOT .214 (CANNOT BE DONE FROM .214), if you flash .214 after (which you can't) you would go back to .214 and not be .215 anymore, to undo .215 you have to use the other utility to revert back to .211 and if you so choose to then from .211 you can go to .214

#776 Daniel644

Daniel644

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

If you haven't rooted yet, you probably have a great deal of bloatware running in the background. Root it, purchase Titanium Backup and search on here for apps that are safe to freeze. Choose what you don't want to use and freeze them. Put SETCPU on it, set your phone to 1200max 300 minimum, Governor to hotplug, I/O to noop, Then make you some Smart Actions. You will notice a big difference. Also search here for the cpusleep.apk so it will go into a deep sleep when off.

doesn't the cpusleep.apk do the same thing as what hotplug already does (turning off the second core when screen is off)?

#777 drewski11

drewski11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

yeah, like JB? my Razr Maxx is so jealous she won't be in the same room as the Nexus 7 ;)

Droid Razr MaxxSS3.6 AviatorBlur / CM11 N10 | RastaKat Xoom Wifi | Big Part 4.3 N7 | MultiROM / RastaKat OG Droid | kfazz CM10 port

#778 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Great post, that was well calculated.

I agree with you on just about everything. The placebo, being my underlying point in the first post i made.

I feel while yes, there are some that are seeing improvements in some areas. Like battery(giving that a chance to shine today), i see no difference in my 4g signal.

Anybody else not see a change or is this just me?

I'm with you actually. No tangible improvements and same or worse battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • StealthPanda likes this

#779 PWn3R

PWn3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Twitter:AllenGeorge
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/102317230135122177087

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

So far, after 7+ days on .215, in 3G ONLY area where I live, and work, the batter life seems to have gone from about 50-60% depletion after 10 hours to about 30-40% depletion. This is with the same apps. However, I've since loaded Infekted and have had my Razr (not a maxx) on and moderately used for 19 hours and 33 mins and i have 54% battery left.

#780 qisdtech

qisdtech

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):Radar Maxx HD

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Has anyone running 215 observed very slow wifi speeds vs. the stock 211. I upgraded to 215 a week ago and am typically connected to wireless at home and work. My speedtests while connected to WiFi are about 1.3 meg dow and 1 meg up (My home ISP gives me 11 meg down and 1 up) I show to be connected at 72mbps data rate and full signal showing on the phone.

I did an FDR after installing 215 and wiped cache. I decided to try a restore back to stock 211 today and my wifi speeds are back to normal, about 10.8 down and 1 meg up on my home wireless. Typical things of rebooting/resetting router didn't fix. I wonder if this is a bug in 215?

Thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users