#21 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

To me, the jury is still out as to why there are still so many people reluctant to use safestrap. If you've ever invested the ten minutes it takes to learn how to use safestrap, you will see it's exactly the same thing as bootstrap (a CWM style recovery), only safestrap affords you the opportunity to lock down, back up and protect your stock, rooted system. So you can then go into the safe side and flash, theme, boot loop and brick your phone until your heart is content. And then, with a flick of the wrist, return to your stock system do it all over again tomorrow. A true crackflashers dream! Anyone reading this who hasn't moved over to safestrap needs to understand that as long as it takes you to read my post is as long as it takes you to learn how to use safestrap instead of the extinct, unwieldy bootstrap recovery. Join the dark side folks, bootstraps time has passed.

Edit: to people complaining about the space safestrap takes up. I don't recall what bootstrap allows, but safestrap gives the option to back up on either your internal or external memory. I have a 16 gig external sd card. On that, I have my stock system and 4 backups, all different ROMs, and I still have 12 gigs of memory free. So, I'm not really too worried about space, and if I was...I'm pretty sure they make sd cards bigger than 16 gigs.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#22 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Three thing I don't understand about the space argument is that most people take their backup and move it to their external card or their computer. Also, how much space does the second side of safestrap really use compared to the space bootstrap uses? Wouldn't the stock side of safestrap be your backup? :wacko:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

#23 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Bootstrap is not recommended because you can brick. You cannot get into recovery from off, safe strap is better for ROMs and everything I find. Bootstrap is better if you just want a single mod on a stock ROM. Like a battery mod or keyboard. I recommend safe strap because if you boot loop, you can get into recovery and recover your system. Bootstrap boot loops, well, you better have some fast boot files ready to go. You can always get into stock moto recovery and do a data wood. Sometimes it will fix an issue with bootstrap but not always. Hope that helps!

Well, that's not entirely true. You can install, along with Bootstrap, something called RAZR-CWMOnBoot-Global-J.Y.Daddy.zip. After installing and running Bootstrap you would run this .zip from your sdcard and what that does is take you into CWM recovery on boot so if something went wrong during flashing you can power off your phone then boot right into CWM recovery. From there you could flash your backup or flash a different ROM if it is on your sdcard. The draw back is that everytime you boot it is going to take you to CWM recovery. For a routine boot you would just scroll down to reboot phone and the reboot would then bypass CWM. I've used it...it works just fine.

#24 ballroomdru

ballroomdru

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

Where is the safestrap faqs/instructions?

#25 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Three thing I don't understand about the space argument is that most people take their backup and move it to their external card or their computer. Also, how much space does the second side of safestrap really use compared to the space bootstrap uses? Wouldn't the stock side of safestrap be your backup?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

The space issue is because bootstrap only had one system installed at a time. Any backups are compressed into zips so they take up less memory.

With safestrap, only the data is compressed into a zip. But the safe side rom system is left untouched in the preinstall folder in the internal storage. So the preinstall folder is only a couple of mb if you use bootstrap but with safestrap that folder ends up being 300mb or more.

Of course, imo that isn't a big deal when you have several gb available. Overall bootstrap probably gives a user an extra 500 mb to 1 gb of storage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2<br />

#26 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I would use bootstrap if you could choose to enter recovery ,just like safestrap, on every boot AND if someone would create a rom to install in bootstrap. I'm not sure exactly how safestrap works, but i believe it uses scripts to install the ROM into the different partitions therefore bootstrap does not work with all of the new roms designed for safestrap.

IMO, bootstrap would be simpler to use if you could just enter on boot.
1. Backup stock system
2. Wipe and install custom rom.
2b. If you brick, reboot back into recovery and restore backup.
3. Boot into rom.

Safestrap ,on the other hand , is safe for noobs. It just seems redundant to me. However, it would be better IF the recovery functions would work on the non-safe side as well. I mean, what good is the backup on the non-safe side if you cant modify the stock system partition anyway.

You could also run 2 custom roms if you wanted.

Food for thought...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#27 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

Would definitely like to see some bootstrap roms!
Just installed a Safestrap Rom, every 12 seconds I was getting a message that Internal storage was running out of room.!! And that's with all apps installed to phone not internal.
I also don't like not being able to flash whatever I want on the original side for safestrap. Just one simple flash to my stock side is not allowed in safestrap. Might as well just be running bootstrap and flash what I want where and when I want without wasted space.

PS Since no one will ever make a bootstrap rom, what would happen if I flash a Safestrap Rom using Bootstrap, then say uninstall all recoveries or install Safestrap but don't use it? Would anything like that fix any arising issues?
What I'm primarily interested in is getting deodexed .215 on as primary Rom without Safestrap wasting room.

#28 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

Would definitely like to see some bootstrap roms!<br />Just installed a Safestrap Rom, every 12 seconds I was getting a message that Internal storage was running out of room.!! And that's with all apps installed to phone not internal.<br />I also don't like not being able to flash whatever I want on the original side for safestrap. Just one simple flash to my stock side is not allowed in safestrap. Might as well just be running bootstrap and flash what I want where and when I want without wasted space.<br /><br />PS Since no one will ever make a bootstrap rom, what would happen if I flash a Safestrap Rom using Bootstrap, then say uninstall all recoveries or install Safestrap but don't use it? Would anything like that fix any arising issues?<br />What I'm primarily interested in is getting deodexed .215 on as primary Rom without Safestrap wasting room.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have done that myself and it works just fine. Installed bootstrap, flashed a rom, removed bootstrap, installed safestrap, enable safe system, flashed another ROM. Two custom roms with no issues.

Now i am no dev but for what it is worth, a rom is a rom. They are built the same regardless and are not constructed in a way to be specifically made for one recovery over the other. The reason almost every ROM says to use safestrap is simply because that is what the devs all use and have tested. They put in the disclaimer about bootstrap because they haven't tested it them selves and it is more of a cya kind of thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

#29 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

To me, the jury is still out as to why there are still so many people reluctant to use safestrap. If you've ever invested the ten minutes it takes to learn how to use safestrap, you will see it's exactly the same thing as bootstrap (a CWM style recovery), only safestrap affords you the opportunity to lock down, back up and protect your stock, rooted system. So you can then go into the safe side and flash, theme, boot loop and brick your phone until your heart is content. And then, with a flick of the wrist, return to your stock system do it all over again tomorrow. A true crackflashers dream! Anyone reading this who hasn't moved over to safestrap needs to understand that as long as it takes you to read my post is as long as it takes you to learn how to use safestrap instead of the extinct, unwieldy bootstrap recovery. Join the dark side folks, bootstraps time has passed.

Edit: to people complaining about the space safestrap takes up. I don't recall what bootstrap allows, but safestrap gives the option to back up on either your internal or external memory. I have a 16 gig external sd card. On that, I have my stock system and 4 backups, all different ROMs, and I still have 12 gigs of memory free. So, I'm not really too worried about space, and if I was...I'm pretty sure they make sd cards bigger than 16 gigs.

I haven't seen the option to backup the 1st and 2nd systems to either the internal or external. When you want to do a nandroid backup, you can choose whether to use the internal or external storage. But, when enabling and disabling safe mode, it ONLY allows you to save the images to the internal storage. I would love to have the option to save to either internal or external for the safe mode.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#30 ballroomdru

ballroomdru

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

I haven't seen the option to backup the 1st and 2nd systems to either the internal or external. When you want to do a nandroid backup, you can choose whether to use the internal or external storage. But, when enabling and disabling safe mode, it ONLY allows you to save the images to the internal storage. I would love to have the option to save to either internal or external for the safe mode.

I second this. Where is the option. I really would like it.

#31 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

How difficult is it to modify the update script to work with bootstrap instead of safestrap? DEVS?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users