Photo

They've Booted Kexec Up On Our Razrs...working!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#81 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Will there be links here for the final release?
Posted Image

#82 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Google+:hairstont14
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Will there be links here for the final release?

More than sure there will be.

Sent from my .215 Arctic RAZR

DroidRazr Maxx HD safestrapping!!

#83 cconcepts

cconcepts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

I swear if the release happens tomorrow morning i would prob call off work so i can flash and play.....lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#84 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

I swear if the release happens tomorrow morning i would prob call off work so i can flash and play.....lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Lol just keep checking Twitter

Sent from my .215 Arctic RAZR

#85 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'd almost skip my Math Analysis 2 final...

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#86 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

I am literally sitting here on dhackers twitter hitting F5, lol.

Holy crackflasher moment.
  • Aliceics likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#87 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

so, will we be able to make a nand backup of current setup & restore fm safestrap & get back to where we were, or recover - just in case stuff goes wrong when flashing a radio, or discovering that the radio isn't as good as we thought a few days or a week down the road?

also, aren't there gonna be issues w/running JB - I mean when ICS came out, there were tons of apps that needed to be updated to work on ics…

what other things besides flashing better radios are we looking at?
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#88 Guest_droidpcguru_*

Guest_droidpcguru_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thats the whole point of custom kernels.. make the kernel match the rom so there are no such problems. The point of kexec is the Kernel, not radio.. not sure if it will help with radios(it may though...). As far as apps, well JB is only an "enhancement" to ICS. so there shouldn't be many problems.

#89 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

We are not going to be able to flash radios this is just for kernels.

#90 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

droidpcguru & ddx (here's wishin you a complete recovery DDX);

I used terms I know, I'm pretty decent w/flashing roms, themes, & updates, but since I'm not a programmer. & have had my Maxx - a locked boot loader device for just about 8mos now, I'd like you to understand that when it comes to kernels, I'm a noob.…

I welcome the chance to learn & that's why I asked the way I did b/c I don't know how else & I read this whole thread & the link to article on basics of kernels, but I'm still wet behind the ears…

maybe someone can point me to a good “get up to speed" tutorial on kernels…

looking fwd to additional enjoyment fm my Maxx w/Kexec, but need to know what the parameters are of what (types of) things Kexec-on-Razr can do for me… & basically how it does it

looked at tweets to l fm dhacker29 & it seems that kexec is basically a hijacking of kernel so roms for other devices can be ported to Razr like CM 9 or 10…

I'm sure that there are a lot of kernel noob's that would want to know what a kernel's job in life is & what sort of things we can do w/kexec (kernel executive, right?)

SpyderMan
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#91 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

droidpcguru & ddx (here's wishin you a complete recovery DDX);

I used terms I know, I'm pretty decent w/flashing roms, themes, & updates, but since I'm not a programmer. & have had my Maxx - a locked boot loader device for just about 8mos now, I'd like you to understand that when it comes to kernels, I'm a noob.…

I welcome the chance to learn & that's why I asked the way I did b/c I don't know how else & I read this whole thread & the link to article on basics of kernels, but I'm still wet behind the ears…

maybe someone can point me to a good “get up to speed" tutorial on kernels…

looking fwd to additional enjoyment fm my Maxx w/Kexec, but need to know what the parameters are of what (types of) things Kexec-on-Razr can do for me… & basically how it does it

looked at tweets to l fm dhacker29 & it seems that kexec is basically a hijacking of kernel so roms for other devices can be ported to Razr like CM 9 or 10…

I'm sure that there are a lot of kernel noob's that would want to know what a kernel's job in life is & what sort of things we can do w/kexec (kernel executive, right?)

SpyderMan

Here is a good link for info.www.freemymoto.com/tiki-index.php

Now using kexec for moto Is a little bit more tricky because of the encryption level of the main partitions. On the GSIII they where able to implement kexec because the boot and recovery where not encrypted , signed yes but obtaining root and using adb to dd into a part of the boot process we can flash anything after the signature check. Not back to motto this is not as easy. Using this involves more hackery and getting it to play nice with arm7 . Its kind of complicated but amazing in the implementation of it. These guys no whist they are doing and they are close! Real close. So the next week or do should be pretty exciting !

Basically your hijacking the boot process st the precise moment to pass verifications then the magic begins , putting a unsigned kernel on your locked device. Adding a new kernel opens the gate to not only cm9 or cm10 but to overclocking , lean kernels with different governors , making your phone capable of doing much more then it can. It's like unlocking the gate to oz lol the possibilities are endless.
  • hectorlumbago likes this

#92 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

DDX, thanks for the reference - what is the correlation between over / under
clocking or voltage & the ability to the ability to run CM 9 or 10?
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#93 stickjohnsonaah

stickjohnsonaah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

DDX, thanks for the reference - what is the correlation between over / under
clocking or voltage & the ability to the ability to run CM 9 or 10?

cm10, over/under clocking and volting all good things. Can increase performance and battery life add more enhancements. You might look at kernel threads for the nexus or other devices with custom kernels to see what it opens up for us.

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

#94 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Man I can't wait for this to drop i'm checking twitter like crazy... for a while (like 3 hours ago) I was thinking about switching from my razr to something with a larger battery like a nexus w/ extended batt or the s||| but with this in the works I will keep my razr and just find a maxx :) oh yeah.... THIS IS MY 300TH POST oh yeah check out my profile pic lol

#95 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

@stickjohnson

thanks for the reply. Actually, I've been overclocking since the heyday of the Palm.. & I get the ramifications of how under/over clocking or volting affects battery life; & while I'm on my 4th regular rom (& experimenting w/a few others) I do not know how everything under the hood comes together.

One can not know how an engine works 'under the hood' & still drive a car. I just want to learn how this new wrinkle in modding is going to work & what makes x do y…

Hence my question 'what correlation is there between over/under clocking - obviously the realm of the kernel - & CM9 or 10'? Why would being able to customize the kernel ( or use custom kernels) enable us to use the CM roms?

Hope that clarifies the intent of my question…

have a good one, SpyderMan
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#96 sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Twitter:@sgtguthrie1
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

@stickjohnson

thanks for the reply. Actually, I've been overclocking since the heyday of the Palm.. & I get the ramifications of how under/over clocking or volting affects battery life; & while I'm on my 4th regular rom (& experimenting w/a few others) I do not know how everything under the hood comes together.

One can not know how an engine works 'under the hood' & still drive a car. I just want to learn how this new wrinkle in modding is going to work & what makes x do y…

Hence my question 'what correlation is there between over/under clocking - obviously the realm of the kernel - & CM9 or 10'? Why would being able to customize the kernel ( or use custom kernels) enable us to use the CM roms?

Hope that clarifies the intent of my question…

have a good one, SpyderMan

Because right now they have to build cm9/cm10/AOKP/etc to work with the motorola kernel instead of being able to use the cm/aosp kernel the rom was made for and tweak it for the device. That's why aosp roms for moto devices almost always have bugs for a long time or need hacked together. This will speed up development drastically. I hope this helps clears up your question.

Sent from my DROID Razr Maxx via Tapatalk 2

#97 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

sgtguthrie, right on the nose, now I see why Kexec & custom kernels affect those roms.

Besides Clocking & voltage issues (& governors, schedulers, etc) what else is the kernel's job?

tia, SpyderMan
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#98 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

sgtguthrie, right on the nose, now I see why Kexec & custom kernels affect those roms.

Besides Clocking & voltage issues (& governors, schedulers, etc) what else is the kernel's job?

tia, SpyderMan

Kernel is general system oversight. It is the software core of the system that all hardware and software depends on to make the device work. If we were talking about a business structure, the Kernel would be the CEO. It tells every subsystem how they work together and how it would like each of them to do their jobs. CPU/GPU governors/schedulers, voltage control of every component (CPU/GPU/radios/lights...), USB/HDMI port control, device states, memory manamement... There isn't much the kernel isn't involved in.

#99 fosser2

fosser2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

Umm guys I have to ask. What happened to @dhacker29 on twitter? He closed his account and seems pretty pissed off about something... Something tells me this is going to hinder our kexec dreams.

#100 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

Snives, great! apt analogy. I see how much Kexec can affect our modding.

Now I'm prompted to ask: if we change the kernel (ok, hijack it) how long should it reasonably take to see that a new one is stable, & does not have improvement in one area, but somehow the change affects functionality in another?

IDK programming, so layman's terms, please

i.e. kernels don't flash radios, but they do control how the radio works…

tia, SpyderMan
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users