n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter:downtheory
  • Google+:downtheory
  • LocationTN, USA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hey everyone thought I'd take the time to introduce myself.
Name is Ricky and it's awesome to be a tiny part of your community here.
Been rooting and rom-ming since the D1. Still have that phone too, dropped it off of a 2 story roof (I'm in construction), with no case on it or anything. Still tinker with it on occasion.

Found a deal on craigslist about a week ago and found myself in the fortunate position of trading my Droid X2 for a two month old mint condition white Droid Razr already running ICS 4.0.4.

Needless to say I'm pretty happy with the trade off. The X2 was a decent phone and has a great community, but the support is just too little. Not enough devs who want to step up to the plate, mostly because of the locked BL and the hardware in general I guess.

Currently running stock ICS 4.0.4 on my Razr and am interested in knowing what the best options are for this awesome phone.

Like in general what's the best:
Custom recovery
ROM(S)
Stock Addons (Notification bar tweaks, etc)

I'm running on VZW so that means I have CDMA.

Love stock but just wish it had notification buttons like CM7/9.
And would actually love to know how to get started with learning to dev a little myself.

Thanks for checking my post out!
Looking to hopefully make some good friends here and learn something! :)
Downtheory@SoundCloud [ My Solo Band / Guitar Project Thing :D ]

#2 kickenwing13

kickenwing13

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

The recovery everyone uses is safe strap. There are RAZR utilities that will flash you to stock. Root. Install recovery and install over clock modules. All of the rom's are good. Lot of people on Arctic. Eclipse. Simplx . But I've had good luck with black widow. KOA ..
Biggest advice. More than ever. Make sure you have a full charge before trying anything that could brick u. The dead phone while flashing methods are not all guaranteed. Except buying the tbh cable which allows it to charge while in fast boot mode so you can eventually get it up and running. .
Good community. Lot of Tom's and with this phone it only takes about 10 minute to flash a new Tom once you understand safe strap.
Welcome

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 downtheory

downtheory

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter:downtheory
  • Google+:downtheory
  • LocationTN, USA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Oh nice! Thanks for the info kickenwing13! Preciate it!
Will keep the full charge advice in mind too. Still really new to this phone and recovery and all that seems like a daunting task.
I'll go grab safestrap and install it ASAP then, if that's generally what everyone uses.

Is CWM touch recovery any good, or is that kind of bad one to run for the Razr when making Nandroid backups or flashing?
Just curious, because I have it installed, don't want anything that will cause me to have to use RSD more than I like. This phone has soooo many more options than the Droid X2 did.
Downtheory@SoundCloud [ My Solo Band / Guitar Project Thing :D ]

#4 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Jump in and enjoy man! Take advantage of the chat room for quick questions. If you need anything feel free to ask!

To answer your question about recovery. Most of the stuff im seeing released is setup for Safestrap, including my own. That said i wouldn't say there's anything wrong with cwr... just doesn't seem to be the norm. If a thread says its made for safestrap. Its made for safestrap! Lol. Just a warning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: razr droid, x2, droid x2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users