• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

Alright I am young, sophomore in high school and I am really wanting to go down a development career. I was wondering if that was possible. And for developers to give me there story on how they came upon development for the RAZR. And how they gained enough experience to do so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#2 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I'm also a sophomore! Haha if your looking to dev, try to take some time and learn the real simple stuff. Like boot animations or things like that, I'm gonna start putting linux on my PC to start some dev work, if you want to look at some fun things, open up the system folder, then the build.prop make a few minor changes to things that look familiar and reboot, go to about phone and your changes can look pretty cool. Have fun!
  • biggiesmalls657 likes this
a what? an android? whats that?

#3 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

I'm also a sophomore! Haha if your looking to dev, try to take some time and learn the real simple stuff. Like boot animations or things like that, I'm gonna start putting linux on my PC to start some dev work, if you want to look at some fun things, open up the system folder, then the build.prop make a few minor changes to things that look familiar and reboot, go to about phone and your changes can look pretty cool. Have fun!

Sorry for thread jacking...but can you just open the build.prop with a text editor and modify stuff? Just think I could throw in some funny stuff for $!#7s n' giggles.

#4 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Yea well I was getting prepared to take java for beginners so that I can get a step up to going into computer science and development.

#5 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Sorry for thread jacking...but can you just open the build.prop with a text editor and modify stuff? Just think I could throw in some funny stuff for $!#7s n' giggles.

To some extent yes, but hold off on making any un-advised changes unless you are ready to fastboot/flash a new image from Safestrap/push a repaired build.prop from ADB.

Yea well I was getting prepared to take java for beginners so that I can get a step up to going into computer science and development.

"Development" is a pretty vague heading ranging from user level to hardware level. Coding a where I started, but it would probably be a lot easier to begin with understanding how themes/tweaks are incorporated. Check out what changes can be done to build.prop, look over some themes and ask the devs that made them to explain anything you are lost in in the XML (assuming Google doesn't reveal the result first). Once you get a feel for how the user level works, then you can start delving deeper.

#6 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Sorry about this but what is build prop? Like i said I like to mess around with smart phones but I'm a noob I need some knowledge lol.

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sorry about this but what is build prop? Like i said I like to mess around with smart phones but I'm a noob I need some knowledge lol.

The build.prop is a text file in your /system directory. It basically holds all your hardware and software configuration settings. Tweaks can be added to it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#8 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

The build.prop is a text file in your /system directory. It basically holds all your hardware and software configuration settings. Tweaks can be added to it.

+1 you can changer the android version, device name, build date, system version, and hardware stuff that could have bad consequences. So be careful and keep a brain link open to know what you are doing. Start small, get a hold of the basics. A lot easier than diving right into roming

#9 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

So this is basically tweaks right? But how do I know what to tweak and what not to touch?

#10 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

To some extent yes, but hold off on making any un-advised changes unless you are ready to fastboot/flash a new image from Safestrap/push a repaired build.prop from ADB.

K. I'll do some research. Unfortunately there's no way I could find the time to really develop but programming is a small hobby of mine, and find tweaks like this stuff really interesting....hence why I have an Android haha. Really just looking to be at party pull out my phone and have the about screen show Motorola Toaster or something...and already finding it'll affect the play store amongst other things. Then might start playing with some tweaks...but I'm running a ROM and trust the dev already perfected it.

Best thing that happened was wanting to do some simple simple themeing of the status bar in the OG Droid days and someone just told me about ninjamorph and basically said figure it out haha. Launched me into my basic understanding the internals of the phone.

Good luck Chuckleb0ne! You're definitely in the right place. The devs here are amazing. Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two and have something worthwhile to say one day.

#11 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

K. I'll do some research. Unfortunately there's no way I could find the time to really develop but programming is a small hobby of mine, and find tweaks like this stuff really interesting....hence why I have an Android haha. Really just looking to be at party pull out my phone and have the about screen show Motorola Toaster or something...and already finding it'll affect the play store amongst other things. Then might start playing with some tweaks...but I'm running a ROM and trust the dev already perfected it.

Best thing that happened was wanting to do some simple simple themeing of the status bar in the OG Droid days and someone just told me about ninjamorph and basically said figure it out haha. Launched me into my basic understanding the internals of the phone.

Good luck Chuckleb0ne! You're definitely in the right place. The devs here are amazing. Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two and have something worthwhile to say one day.

Assuming any ROM is perfect is a mistake. It is not practical to create a perfect ROM. Every user has slightly different needs and preferences. Every chip handles clocks/voltages at least slightly differently. For a 'perfect' setup you will have no choice but to do some tweaking yourself. There also however is the point of 'Good Enough' where it just isn't worth the hours of work to squeeze out the tiny bit of extra benefit.

#12 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Assuming any ROM is perfect is a mistake. It is not practical to create a perfect ROM. Every user has slightly different needs and preferences. Every chip handles clocks/voltages at least slightly differently. For a 'perfect' setup you will have no choice but to do some tweaking yourself. There also however is the point of 'Good Enough' where it just isn't worth the hours of work to squeeze out the tiny bit of extra benefit.

Quite true...I kinda mis-spoke. I think the dev could get it closer to "good enough" than I could...at least at this point. And, at least right now, I don't have the knowledge to tweak it to my needs/device...but doesn't mean I won't try. Just don't have high expectations that I could get it any better than it is already.

There are some apps that supposedly make this easier. Build prop editor by joeykrim ($0.99) allows you to back and restore your build.prop, edit it, and view some common tweaks. From what I've read so far, most common is lcd density and device name and manufacturer to allow access to apps that are normally not compatible with whatever phone...

#13 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Has anyone here made some build prop tweaks to their phone?

#14 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Phone, tablet, sisters phone... haha

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Tons!

#16 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

30+ easily on my Razr.

#17 alexh037

alexh037

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWoodland Hills, CA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

To the OP...I don't know your current skill level or knowledge base but I would suggest you familiarize yourself with linux and a programming language like c/c++ and java. Im not a developer but when i started off learning about programming when i was about 13 i used to mess around with an old and very simple programming language called qbasic (back in the DOS days) and then moved on to c/c++ and then started to learn lower level stuff like assembly language. So my suggestion would be that if you are serious about getting into development then you should start from the bottom and work your way up. Its like if your just learning math you wouldn't jump right into calculus you'd start with basic math and work your way up from there. Thats my take on it at least but you gotta start somewhere just dont get discouraged if you cant jump right into doing big and cool things...sometimes you gotta start at "Hello world." ; -)

#18 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Depends on what level developer you are. If you're talking hashcode/dhacker level then you need some programming/Linux experience. If you are talking ROM developer/themer you basically just need to know how to read and copy and paste.

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#19 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Depends on what level developer you are. If you're talking hashcode/dhacker level then you need some programming/Linux experience. If you are talking ROM developer/themer you basically just need to know how to read and copy and paste.

X

Really? That's all ROM developers and themers do? Copy and paste? lol wtf ever. Please don't get me started on the loosely thrown around "developer" tag here.
  • andlaw and Brad92 like this

#20 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Really? That's all ROM developers and themers do? Copy and paste? lol wtf ever. Please don't get me started on the loosely thrown around "developer" tag here.

I really wish there was a like button on tapatalk. :D

• andlaw and biggiesmalls657 like this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users