xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

My ROM didn't require any coding knowledge except a touch of edify.

And from what andlaw showed me, theming is all done from the apktools, just replacing graphics and xml. I guess if photoshop makes you a developer...

;)

X

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#22 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

And from what andlaw showed me, theming is all done from the apktools, just replacing graphics and xml. I guess if photoshop makes you a developer...

X

Dude XML and edify are code! You to decompile the apk for XML! It makes up the GUI! Edify installs the ROM! Forgive me sir, but your ROM did require coding.

• andlaw likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#23 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

;)

X

Well I guess if starting a file hosting website makes you a developer..............

Compiling a ROM from source code is a lot more work than you think, and ROM Developers spend countless hours doing it. Your comment was extremely offensive. So just because someone isn't on the same level as people like dhacker and hashcode, that means they're not even developers?

Build a ROM from source then come in here talking about how it's nothing but copy and paste.
  • andlaw, biggiesmalls657 and Brad92 like this

#24 alexh037

alexh037

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWoodland Hills, CA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

I really wish there was a like button on tapatalk.

+1 (to both what spchicks said and to your comment about the like button lol)

Its weird...on some forums tapatalk does give you the "like" option maybe its something that has to be toggled on the forum management side or something? Who knows...I'll just use the +1 post in its place : -)

#25 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm not here to offend anyone. People are talking about comp sci classes and c#, cpp, and associating it with developing.

I'm just saying its not like that.

Not sure why everyone is getting hotheaded.

Xml is coding i guess but not on comp sci level.

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads

#26 jamRwoo

jamRwoo

Iconoclast

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter:jamRwoo

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Are we talking Comp Sci 101 or like...300-400 level?
I like big hairy Vantenhickserkeists in diapers.

#27 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yes exactly comp sci 100 or 101.

X

#28 jamRwoo

jamRwoo

Iconoclast

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter:jamRwoo

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yes exactly comp sci 100 or 101.

X

A whole course on copy/pasting? eww.
  • andlaw likes this
I like big hairy Vantenhickserkeists in diapers.

#29 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

A whole course on copy/pasting? eww.

There is quite a bit of computers science involved!! Really depends on how far you want to take it as well. But to say that its all just copy and paste is just not true.

To the OP. If a career in development is what you want.. go for it man! Take any class that's accessible. The more java the better if you're looking towards Android as a canvas. Good luck!!!

Oh... and "its ALL just copy and paste" SMDH... absolutely not true! In case you couldn't tell where I stood.. lol.

Edit: I forgot my story if its even important at this point.. haha

Basically during my younger years I I did quite a bit of development in Basic(QBasic to be exact) language. I was self taught believe it or not. I've just always been hard headed and stick with things I don't understand until I figure it out. Well once Visual Basic hit the scene it wasn't long before I made the transition. It was nice to not have to write every bit of code from scratch. With my hobby being programming when I made it to high school the computer math and science courses were a no brainer! Our computer math was a breeze it was on basic... which I was already fluent in lol. Next was the computer science which basically touched on Pascal and C++. By the time I was geared up for graduation I made the decision that I was not going to work in the computer field.. not 100% sure why other then the fact that it was and probably always would be my hobby.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#30 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

So here's my short and sweet way I started to develop.

Got OG Droid (flashed things like a mofo, i still miss it)
Switched to Droid X (same as above, I've been a crackflasher most of my "droid" life)
Upgraded to Droid Maxx
Got curious about themeing
Talked to a bunch of people here (you guys know who you are)
Read a TON of threads
Made themes and boot animations.

:D

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#31 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

Never gave my background here I don't think, but for the point of the topic...

Taught how to use a computer and pushed straight into coding some basic scripts when I was something like 7 or 8. My uncle had brought me a copy of Doom when he made his annual trip to visit from out of state and decided it would be fun to teach me how to adjust the game code using a DOS tool he had built. I ended up doing a bunch of toying to get myself things like unlimited ammo, wall hacks, etc which was crazy easy to do (Set a guns ammo on pickup to 99999999999999999 was all it took). In retrospect, it was probably some sort of memory editor he had made. From there on I loved toying with computers and started tearing every piece of electronics I could find apart. I remember tearing apart my first TV when I was probably about 10 and my parents wanting to kill me, but after some tinkering we ended up with a clearer image =D (you just need to adjust the magnets to bend the light slightly differently on an old school CRT). Over the course of time I started getting more back into the software side teaching myself Basic initially. From there I got interested in the then much newer internet which led me into basic web scripting. As I was getting into junior high I had started teaching myself a variety of scripts, but I didn't have much time for electronics anymore as I was a bit of a jock. After highschool when I started to have free-time again I got myself back into coding to make some money on my own schedule. I started with VB, then over to C/C++, back to VB.net, Python, C#, and into Java. Over the course of time I toyed around in a half dozen other languages but never used them extensively. I haven't dabbled much in Android itself yet outside of basic adjustments, primarily because I found Java to be a language I just didn't like at all for some reason. It was always so much easier for me to make a lean, stable script in C++ while Java always seemed too resource hungry and unstable (I probably just sucked at Java though). I've got my build system up and running and I'm debating every day delving back into development to turn out a ROM of my own flavor but life hasn't given me the time to do so yet (just got a new apartment, potentially about to be in charge of a new department at work, married a month ago, my family is tied up in legal crap that seems to rival Apple vs. Everyone, and my wife just passed her pharmaceutical boards very recently).
  • HouseMD likes this

#32 alexh037

alexh037

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWoodland Hills, CA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Man reading these posts brings back so many memories lol... loved me somd qbasic nibbles and gorillas and using hex editors to modify saved game files was a blast too lol

I too never went through with comp sci in school. I left it at just a hobby but now im itching to see what all the java this java that is all about...already got the sdk and eclipse ide all setup

Next i think ill install a dos emulator and get me some old school warez lol

#33 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I also started with basic, I remember the first thing I learned how to do was open a new program using a script and making a picture viewer, as far as I can tell Snives, you seem to be a Microsoft Stack programmer. I seem to be the opposite of you, and like Java more than the other languages, because it makes everything that's hard easier. Memory management, and compatibility that is.

The reason I haven't done anything is because I don't have the skill, where you guys do this as a career I do it as a hobby. I tried modifying the stock launchers source code to make it somewhat faster, and that didn't work out.

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#34 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Never gave my background here I don't think, but for the point of the topic...

Taught how to use a computer and pushed straight into coding some basic scripts when I was something like 7 or 8. My uncle had brought me a copy of Doom when he made his annual trip to visit from out of state and decided it would be fun to teach me how to adjust the game code using a DOS tool he had built. I ended up doing a bunch of toying to get myself things like unlimited ammo, wall hacks, etc which was crazy easy to do (Set a guns ammo on pickup to 99999999999999999 was all it took). In retrospect, it was probably some sort of memory editor he had made. From there on I loved toying with computers and started tearing every piece of electronics I could find apart. I remember tearing apart my first TV when I was probably about 10 and my parents wanting to kill me, but after some tinkering we ended up with a clearer image =D (you just need to adjust the magnets to bend the light slightly differently on an old school CRT). Over the course of time I started getting more back into the software side teaching myself Basic initially. From there I got interested in the then much newer internet which led me into basic web scripting. As I was getting into junior high I had started teaching myself a variety of scripts, but I didn't have much time for electronics anymore as I was a bit of a jock. After highschool when I started to have free-time again I got myself back into coding to make some money on my own schedule. I started with VB, then over to C/C++, back to VB.net, Python, C#, and into Java. Over the course of time I toyed around in a half dozen other languages but never used them extensively. I haven't dabbled much in Android itself yet outside of basic adjustments, primarily because I found Java to be a language I just didn't like at all for some reason. It was always so much easier for me to make a lean, stable script in C++ while Java always seemed too resource hungry and unstable (I probably just sucked at Java though). I've got my build system up and running and I'm debating every day delving back into development to turn out a ROM of my own flavor but life hasn't given me the time to do so yet (just got a new apartment, potentially about to be in charge of a new department at work, married a month ago, my family is tied up in legal crap that seems to rival Apple vs. Everyone, and my wife just passed her pharmaceutical boards very recently).

This sounds extremely similar to my start-up. I was 7 or 8 when I got the commodore 64 (300baud external modem, aka, the bbs jumper). Basically all you could do was run "basic" commands because that is all the computer did unless you had software. Next up was the Tandy 1000 RLX which sported Deskmate (pre-windows windows) and from there I managed to get a licensed copy of QBasic from my brother, and then started building Execuatables. I built a GUI for DOS using the QBasic's draw and shell commands that rivaled total commander. I showed it to my 8th grade teacher and she couldn't comprehend that i designed it nor understand what i was talking about.

High school I slowed down a bit with the coding in hopes to a more "meaningful" life, but I did fill the gaps with all the Quake versions.

In college I started off with Computer Science. I started off with VB, Pascal, C++, Lingo (Macromedia Director). After a couple C++ classes (about 2 years in) I decided I was not gonna spend my life looking for the missing semi-colon (sometimes for hours). I switched majors to New Media Design. From there I focused on all the coding from the Web Design/3d modeling end.

Lingo, Actionscript, HTML, some XML. I learned all the design apps, aced my senior year with a 4.0 for that semester, and then headed to the real world... The not so computer friendly real world.

Now, for some reason I always have to come back to the computer for "something" and no matter how many issues being a geek has caused in my life, I still go back. There's one thing about computers and programming (no matter what level you are on) that always remains true. It's based on logic, and you can always fall back on something as stable as logic when life has you in the dumps and u don't know what direction to go because life itself is so illogical sometimes.

x

#35 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't want anyone to get nervous or anything but what is your guys current job now?

#36 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

And what are the major tweaks to build prop?

#37 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm not a developer or any of that but...
I started with c++ a couple years ago. Haven't really touched it since then though. Now I have a new system I'm working on setting up to start again. have written several scripts using a program called AutoIt.

Currently I work at Discount Tire (in IT). Basically I build employees/store computers and configure all of the routers and switches and whatnot. Slowly turning my job into a button clicking job with all the scripts I'm writing... :D

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx Arctic .215

#38 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I don't want anyone to get nervous or anything but what is your guys current job now?

Currently IT Administrator for my family business. BUT, since I'm going to school it will be part-time and have remote access to all servers and workstations from campus. Woot!

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#39 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Biomechanical/Process Engineer. I work with medical devices ranging from the point of conception up through final production (which we handle in-house). We are the 2nd largest manufacturer in our field in the world, and not long off of being #1 at this rate. I also handle any structural, HVAC, electrical, and other miscellaneous design work that we need to expand our facilities and upgrade our current systems. I assist with managing things with our warehouse while I implement some more upgrades there (2nd story expansion, new equipment, etc.). I was also handling the companies general IT (physical and logical network, database, scripting, etc.) for a few months until I worked with my supervisor to hire on a new IT guy.

#40 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

After Highschool:

I once did Web Design for Bowdoin College
I once was an IT Consultant for University of Maine
I once was a L2 TSE for the Microsoft Network ISP.

After college (New Media Design, B.A.):

I once unloaded trucks for WallyWorld.
I once was a Roof Mechanic for an industrial roofing company.

Currently:

I put paper plates in a box for a living. (Oddly pays way better than the above 5 jobs I listed)

Future:

Hopefully one day I would like to be a Sandwich Artists at Subway and get to meet Jared.

Edit: Oh, I'm freelance Web Designer on the side, of course.

X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users