49 replies to this topic

#41 phispher

phispher

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Chiming in out of the blue here, but I would encourage you to take some classes in school on a programming language. Pretty much focus on THAT one language, learn the basics of programming, because for the most part they follow you from language to language. This is a good start because 1. It will give you an idea if you have the knack for it (you either get it or you don't) and 2. You'll know pretty quick if you like it or not. In my opinion, if you pass those two checks, then you're born to dev. At that point, you're limited purely on learning the syntax of the language you're working with. As time goes on and as you dabble more as a dev, you'll gain experience and confidence. This is pretty much my story.

SQL Database admin/programmer here. I started out programming in basic as a kid for fun (made my own text based games for my siblings to play/defeat), took a Pascal class in school and found I had the knack and also loved it. Took programming in college, but settled upon Microsoft certifications including my MCDBA cert, which exposed me to SQL. While studying up on my SQL, I also played around with Visual Basic, C++, the .NET languages (vb.net, c#), some java. However, my love is SQL, I like set based programming. As it stands, I'm the database admin for a medical clinic of 100+ doctors, managing their SQL servers but also being required to write custom SQL scripts for various tasks / reports. It's an amazing job and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not an Android dev. Just love tinkering with my phone and applying ROMS made by the amazing ROM developers here. Currently using latest Simplex ROM (hats off to you EmericanX, nicely done).

#42 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

So how did you fall into the job?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#43 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Well look guys I am trying to pick a right career pathway. So that in the future I have a pathway I can follow into a good paying job and that is something I love to do. Technology is my part of the pathway and java right now is another sub part of the pathway.

#44 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I take kind of the opposite stand phispher, I have never seen a school that I believe teaches coding properly. Focusing on a language is like trying to learn Japanese by memorizing a couple symbols and bashing them together until spellcheck doesn't say you have a grammar error anymore. I teach coding starting with extensive flow charts. If you can break down a flow chart into small enough steps, you can write a code because all that is left at that point is applying syntax, and syntaxing is not much more difficult than using a cheat-sheet until you learn to use them off the top of your head. This was the method I was taught by, and I've been able to migrate between languages without much hesitation.

On a related note, I agree SQL is fun :) I love the simplicity of the command set while still being efficient enough to parse massive amounts of data without much delay. It so easily meshes into most languages to be built into a client. They just need to standardize the connection strings across servers a bit more as it gets annoying trying to remember which string belongs to which server sometimes.

#45 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Well look guys I am trying to pick a right career pathway. So that in the future I have a pathway I can follow into a good paying job and that is something I love to do. Technology is my part of the pathway and java right now is another sub part of the pathway.

If you think you might want to be in development, I think starting now is the best bet. I picked up a few random contract jobs for C#/VB.net after tossing a resume up on Monster when I wanted some spare cash a few years back. Pick a program you want to make, and make it. Start simple, and keep challenging yourself. If you continue to want to do more, a career might be right for you. However, I've known quite a few people that thought they would love until they started having to do some debugging, and then they ran away fast. Try to get your feet wet before getting into a school to be sure you aren't wasting time/money. Once you feel you are very comfortable with a standard script (VB.Net, C#, Java for desktop and learning to build Android/iOS apps), start putting your name out there to pick up some small contracts. Craigslist might not be a bad start.

#46 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Wait I have barely started righting scripts. So where do I start?

#47 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Wait I have barely started righting scripts. So where do I start?

Build.prop

Learn how to use ADB

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#48 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Depends on what level developer you are. If you're talking hashcode/dhacker level then you need some programming/Linux experience. If you are talking ROM developer/themer you basically just need to know how to read and copy and paste.

X

Some people are so touchy. For what it's worth, I am busy busy copy/pasting my own personal build so I can finally have the rom I've always wanted. Most ROMs come close, very close. But sometimes when ya want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#49 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Build.prop

Learn how to use ADB

What are the best tweaks to build prop in your opinion? Need some examples if your willing to help me make the changes.

#50 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

Snives most recent posts are spot on with the advice I'd give. I just didn't because I'm nowhere near developer status. I took VB and Java (and a few randoms) in high school. But we started with block diagrams and just understanding how coding worked. Once you have the fundamentals, and grasp the mindset, it's just understanding the syntax of each language. As for me, it's just a hobby. Wrote countless programs for my calc in high school for physics, calc, trig problems. And I've written a few at work for some quick off the cuff calculations. Currently working on a macro to graph out and calculate some stuff from the data from the dynos at work.

As for tweaks...just for my own learning I just started googling. There's quite a few threads regarding it. Idk if you're looking for the "best" as in what's safe, but will get you understanding it, or what will actually benefit your phone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users