#1 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:51 AM

Okay so here is my 2 cents. I have been a member of this website for a number of months now. I read, comment, and most importantly learn from the very smart people in this community website. In my 18 years of law enforcement I have been witness to every argument imaginable. Most of them are started by someone’s perception of something said or something written. For example, I have seen a knife plunged into a 14 year olds chest over a facebook comment, which was taken completely out of context. My point is, I have read threads over the last few months that have gotten completely out of hand. There have been some venomous comments made by people over the silliest of things. We as a community can fix this, but it will take some changes on everyone’s part. Some suggestions I would make are the following:

1) NEVER question or put someone down for asking a question, even if it seems like a dumb question to you. Your comment, even though it may seem innocuous to you, may be “Perceived” by the question asker as being sarcastic and a put down, leading to embarrassment and anger by the question asker. This leads to a thread comment war. Let’s face it, we were all nubes at one point and needed dumb questions answered. To a nube the phrase “there is no such thing as a dumb question” is completely true. I have been in that situation and have had wars with a couple comment makers. It just isn’t worth the anger and stress.

2) When someone asks a question they obviously are in trouble and searching for an answer. The comment “did you even read the OP?” or “did you read the thread?” can ignite a free for all. Some of these OP’s and threads are extremely long, and things can be easily missed. I have read threads until my eyeballs almost popped out and have missed things. You have missed things and people will continue to miss things. A helpful comment like “check out post #42” will lead that person to the right place and preserve the peace.

3) People sometimes post threads that seem innocent enough to them, but some of the more experienced mods/devs/users might feel that an unwritten rule was broken and may be an insult to a mod/dev. Come on, newer users may not know these rules or even comprehend that it may insult someone. And, some of these users are very young and naïve and could have innocently stuck their foot in their mouths without even knowing it. Heck, even pro baseball players break unwritten rules sometimes.

From my experience, nothing angers me more on here than someone making me feel like a complete idiot when I ask a question. I ask because I want to learn. If you don’ want to help, then don’t answer. Someone else will step up to the plate and answer. Don’t post a comment making that person feel dumb. That person would rather you just not answer at all.
Thank you for your time and I hope this opens some eyes on people who may not even know they were doing some of these things. And, thank you to people like hicks, rickw, 24v, brian, vk, mattlegroff, houseMD who spend countless hours helping people with their problems.
  • aktrazer, Brian, HouseMD and 3 others like this
Posted Image

#2 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Well said,thank you Rob

#3 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

+28295829682618602
  • HouseMD likes this
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#4 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

I like my own method. Help people out when they ask for it and I can be useful, and include some heckling along with the help when they have done something annoying :)

#5 robfowler31

robfowler31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Locationmissouri

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

I couldnt agree more... Ive noticed a lot of that even more in the last few weeks... Always enjoyed the site, the people who make it happen and experience of trying someone elses work... Hopefully things can look up for the better around here an we can become more peaceful...

+9999999999999

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#6 callahanx

callahanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:blcx
  • Google+:brandoncallahan30@gmail.com

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thank you

#7 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Snives, heckling is great and fun but again, it could be perceived different. We do a test at the police academy where we will have someone run through the classroom screaming his/her head off. We then ask the class of 20 to write a detailed description of the person. Keep in mind they had no idea this was going to happen. There were times when we got 20 different descriptions of the person. each persons perception is different. You might know you are heckling, but the question asker may not, or may have a dry sense of humor. That's just another thing for people to keep in mind.
Posted Image

#8 neOwb

neOwb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

+10000000 there's a reason I would rather come to this site than that other one that sounds like exdeeyay.... please let's keep it that way guys :)

#9 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

I was happy with that until you said "mattlegroff" where did the e come from? Lol

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#10 dillanshives

dillanshives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationVancouver Washington

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Well Said. +8719641654165141
If I helped you at all, don't be afraid to hit that like button! :D

#11 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

I was happy with that until you said "mattlegroff" where did the e come from? Lol

Oops....sorry....Mattlgroff
Posted Image

#12 chuckyteets

chuckyteets

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oops....sorry....Mattlgroff

mattlegroff sounds like a pokemon
  • mattlgroff likes this

#13 johnnyfrost

johnnyfrost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

If people just acted like adults instead of whiny 10 year olds, the post bashing wouldnt happen. If you aren't mature enough to take a few possibly harsh comments you shouldn't be on the internet. if someone disagrees with you in real life or makes a stupid comment do you throw a fit? I'm guessing some members of this site probably do based on some of these threads. Sticks and stones people. the jeez sorry I was just asking a question feel sorry for me posts is whats starts most of it. If someone hurts your little feelings just be the better person and move on. don't respond to the people that maybe make stupid comments.

also I was a noob back in november, and I learned everything by simply reading, not asking questions that had been asked repeatedly. I think most bashing on this site is because of that, not because of the questions that might seem stupid or if someone really needs help. but sometimes I want to throw a rock through a window when I see questions like help I think I broke my razor I tried to load this and now it doesn't work help. or questions like hey when are we going to get the next update.... because nobody knows stop asking.

#14 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

If people just acted like adults instead of whiny 10 year olds, the post bashing wouldnt happen. If you aren't mature enough to take a few possibly harsh comments you shouldn't be on the internet. if someone disagrees with you in real life or makes a stupid comment do you throw a fit? I'm guessing some members of this site probably do based on some of these threads. Sticks and stones people. the jeez sorry I was just asking a question feel sorry for me posts is whats starts most of it. If someone hurts your little feelings just be the better person and move on. don't respond to the people that maybe make stupid comments.

also I was a noob back in november, and I learned everything by simply reading, not asking questions that had been asked repeatedly. I think most bashing on this site is because of that, not because of the questions that might seem stupid or if someone really needs help. but sometimes I want to throw a rock through a window when I see questions like help I think I broke my razor I tried to load this and now it doesn't work help. or questions like hey when are we going to get the next update.... because nobody knows stop asking.

I somewhat agree here. I have the perfect example. On the thread for Arctic we had almost 4 posts in a row asking about notification toggles. The question was answered by me linking to the thread and explaining the install. 4 more posts asking the same exact question... I post the answer again. 8 more posts later and still the same question. I'm really not one to get frustrated easily but if your going to mess with your phone at least read a few posts back to see if your question was answered... I can understand that you don't want to read 50 pages of stuff but when your answer is on the same page and you're just being lazy, expect to upset some people and have some not nice things said to you...

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx Arctic .215
  • psyjohn likes this

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

I appreciate threads like this. And I 99% agree with the OP. BUT, and I hate to play devils advocate here, But...there are a handful, I mean a handful of times when a thread isn't 500 pages long and the op isn't a short novel and obviously dumb questions are asked. I'm am sick of living in a society where everyone gets a trophy just for participating and we all allow the ignorant and negligent the skate by because "they're new". I'm sorry if I'm being brutally honest and not politically correct but even what Snives said is true. I will admit, in my time I've asked dumb questions and I'll be the first one to admit they were dumb. I've also invested many hours reading, reading and reading here and everywhere for an answer to my question before I asked a question that was answered fifteen times within the last fifteen minutes. There is always room for noobs but there is never room for ignorance and negligence. No disrespect to the OP, but honestly, sometimes threads encouraging THIS MUCH hand holding promotes a forum with so much pollution that it becomes boring to the regular members. All due respect, I get your point. I'm just saying we are living in a time where so many people are raised to be so self entitled that we, the ones who tell them to man up and spend 15 minutes doing some reading are the bad guys. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem helping the new guy. Hell, with some topics just recently, I was the new guy. But I put in my due diligence BEFORE I asked questions. And I tried to keep as much of my detailed questioning in chat and PM. All I'm saying please understand, I don't want this place to become XDA where even the most technical questions are flamed out but at the same time, encourage new users to utilize the tools we have already set in place (search, chat, help forum) before we pander to every dumb question over and over and over again just so the new guy gets his trophy too. I'm sorry (kinda) if this post offended anyone.
/rant

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#16 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

+ infinity
Thank you

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#17 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

There is always room for noobs but there is never room for ignorance and negligence.
/rant

Sorry to disagree but there is always room for ignorance. Being ignorant doesn't mean one is stupid. It simply means they are uninformed. A "noob" might be ignorant. But, as you said, there is room for that person. The uniformed person is exactly the type of person who comes here for help. They stick around long enough and they become help for somebody else. If however, they are treated in not so nice manner, they will leave and you might lose somebody who in the future could be a real asset to the community. This reminds me of when I was trying to learn Linux and why I never did. I'd search for an answer to a particular problem that I had and all I'd come up with time after time was RTFM. Well, I did RTFM and it wasn't in the FM. Had to search for what seemed forever to find the answer and I just got fed up. Windows communities were infinitely better in this respect. So, i say, just answer the question respectfully, regardless of how many times it's been asked and you'll make somebody happy. I don't believe in the entitled thing. I was raised in a time when there were no entitlements and you did for yourself what you had to do. However, I still think, help the person out. Keep your thoughts to yourself as to what you think about the question or don't answer at all. RTFM isn't a hell of a lot of help. ;)

#18 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Sorry to disagree but there is always room for ignorance. Being ignorant doesn't mean one is stupid. It simply means they are uninformed. A "noob" might be ignorant. But, as you said, there is room for that person. The uniformed person is exactly the type of person who comes here for help. They stick around long enough and they become help for somebody else. If however, they are treated in not so nice manner, they will leave and you might lose somebody who in the future could be a real asset to the community. This reminds me of when I was trying to learn Linux and why I never did. I'd search for an answer to a particular problem that I had and all I'd come up with time after time was RTFM. Well, I did RTFM and it wasn't in the FM. Had to search for what seemed forever to find the answer and I just got fed up. Windows communities were infinitely better in this respect. So, i say, just answer the question respectfully, regardless of how many times it's been asked and you'll make somebody happy. I don't believe in the entitled thing. I was raised in a time when there were no entitlements and you did for yourself what you had to do. However, I still think, help the person out. Keep your thoughts to yourself as to what you think about the question or don't answer at all. RTFM isn't a hell of a lot of help.

Nobody called anyone stupid from what I've seen so please don't start that. There are basically two points of view for this topic, me and tucstwo, who think people need to at least put in somewhat of an effort if they want help without ridicule and then is your point of view, help people regardless of how many times it's been asked and explained. The community has and needs both sides to function. If there wasn't me and tucstwo, you would eventually have a community of people who don't know how or want to look anything up and then there is your side who are the people with a lot more patience who tell
people where they should look or what to do to fix the problem which hopefully encourages those same people to be just as helpful when they see those questions. To be honest even though I have the other point of view if I hadn't encountered someone with your view I never would have been rooted my OG Droid and therefore would never have become part of this community. I'm not trying to put down either side, only site that both is needed and have different ways of viewing things much like the OP said.:D

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx Arctic .215

#19 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Everybody shut the hell up!

The arguing stops now or I lock the damn thread and start even further action. Last damn warning, keep it civil and stop the damn arguments!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#20 Chuckleb0ne

Chuckleb0ne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

mattlegroff sounds like a pokemon

HAHAHAHAHA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users