• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#81 foxkat

foxkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Google+:phil.katulka@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Droid MAXX, Acer Iconia Tab 10.1, HTC EVO 3D, Droid 2 Global, OG Droid

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Well folks, I took the plunge as well last night (early in the am). I followed the instructions but had one possible concern that may have resulted in the unsuccessful upgrade.

When I read the instructions, it mentions "***IF YOU HAVE EVER USED HASHCODES SAFESTRAP... STOP HERE AND DO A FULL

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

!!***
". now I don't know if the "safestrap" that I was running was "hashcodes" or not, but I don't remember seeing that name.

Further down in the instructions, it mentions "Step 2: Disable Safestrap via the app. You do not have to remove the apk itself, but the system needs to be disabled.", so I decided to follow the 1 through 9 instructions. The upgrade went well until I hit the LTE portion. The upgrade failed there.

The failure point was immediately after "updating BP ..."

The next line was "assert failed: motorola.motoflash("/tmp/bp.img")

Next line was "Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip"

Next line was "(Status. 7)"

Last line was "Installation aborted".

After reboot, it took quite a while to finish and for red moto logo to go. Eventually it woke up and to my surprise the update appeared to have taken. The new apps are installed and functional, the camera works and has the additional new features. Unfortunately I have no cellular radios, no service, just a red circle with line through it over the greyed out signal level bars.

WIFI worked, and everything else was working properly, but no 3G or 4G radios, and today I discovered that GPS was also non-functional.

Since I did have Safestrap running but I don't believe I had "hashcodes" safestrap, I did the shut-down. If I did have hashcodes, that may be the reason for the failure.

Perhaps someone can clarify the difference between the big warning at the top and the very gentle instruction number 2. How do I determine if I had hashcodes safestrap or the safestrap that line 2 is referring to?

Today I did the downgrade to 748 and it was sucessful, the phone works again.

In the mean time, I may simply RSD to Fastboot and try again when I have more time. For now, I need the connectivity so I will stay with 748 at least through the day today.
Posted Image

#82 RAZRblade

RAZRblade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Apparently the update is officially released now...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#83 foxkat

foxkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid MAXX, Acer Iconia Tab 10.1, HTC EVO 3D, Droid 2 Global, OG Droid

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Interesting. Checking for available update just now resulted in "Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time."
Posted Image

#84 RAZRblade

RAZRblade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Edit: may have been an old articleCan't find the article now. Maybe I imagined it

#85 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well folks, I took the plunge as well last night (early in the am). I followed the instructions but had one possible concern that may have resulted in the unsuccessful upgrade.

When I read the instructions, it mentions "***IF YOU HAVE EVER USED HASHCODES SAFESTRAP... STOP HERE AND DO A FULL

!!***
". now I don't know if the "safestrap" that I was running was "hashcodes" or not, but I don't remember seeing that name.

Further down in the instructions, it mentions "Step 2: Disable Safestrap via the app. You do not have to remove the apk itself, but the system needs to be disabled.", so I decided to follow the 1 through 9 instructions. The upgrade went well until I hit the LTE portion. The upgrade failed there.

After reboot, it took quite a while to finish and for red moto logo to go. Eventually it woke up and to my surprise the update appeared to have taken. The new apps are installed and functional, the camera works and has the additional new features. Unfortunately I have no cellular radios, no service, just a red circle with line through it over the greyed out signal level bars.

WIFI worked, and everything else was working properly, but no 3G or 4G radios, and today I discovered that GPS was also non-functional.

Since I did have Safestrap running but I don't believe I had "hashcodes" safestrap, I did the shut-down. If I did have hashcodes, that may be the reason for the failure.

Perhaps someone can clarify the difference between the big warning at the top and the very gentle instruction number 2. How do I determine if I had hashcodes safestrap or the safestrap that line 2 is referring to?

In the mean time, I may simply RSD to Fastboot and try again when I have more time. For now, I need the connectivity so I will stay with 748 at least through the day today.

There is only one person that made safestrap and that is @hashcode. If you did not disable it the update will fail. If you ran it, your update will fail. Here is how to do it.

-use the full rsd package back too. 744
-after it says manually reboot your phone or its finished, immediately go into stock recovery and wipe data and cache.
-boot up, let it sit after syncing. Then if the update don't pop up go to, check for updates.
-let the update to 748 run. After it boots up do another wipe in stock recovery.
-boot up synchronize Google and let the phone sit for a few min.
-now root
-get OTA ROOTKEEPER
-protect root in the app.
-then flash in stock recovery the leak.

If you follow my directions to the letter you will get there with no problems.

• MrFrankRazr likes this

#86 foxkat

foxkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

There is only one person that made safestrap and that is @hashcode. If you did not disable it the update will fail. If you ran it, your update will fail. Here is how to do it.

If you follow my directions to the letter you will get there with no problems.

Thanks for the information and clarification. So then my question is why is step 2 even mentioned, since if I followed the WARNING at the top I wouldn't have safestrap installed or active anymore anyway? In other words, step 2 says to "Disable Safestrap via the app..." I DID "disable Safestrap via the app." but didn't RSD back to 744 (using Fastboot) which would essentially remove safestrap anyway, wouldn't it?

Please accept my apology in advance for my ignorance. I am generally a very tech-savvy person but sometimes I am guilty of reading things too literally and other times not enough.
Posted Image

#87 showard594

showard594

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

" the device works now with maps, sky, and a data (mostly)."

Mine is still not working on Sky. I am running 173, rooted is all. Anyone else find that Sky Map is still not working or is it just me.

I am on total stock device. No backup nothing just risked the stock loading of this update file.

First of all check maps. When in compass mode it can actually find north. :)
If Maps can rotate properly showing the direction you are facing then you know the update works for you.

Google Sky was so fubar'd that east was west, it panned with the display instead opposite, in landscape it panned diagonally etc.....
After update it worked as designed.

I confirmed with friends at Moto this is the upcoming MR2 and it is meant to fix these issues and includes hot-spot fix and greatly reduces data dropouts. I am down to 1 in 2 days. I told them about the FC when searching in App drawer and they were not too concerned. Maybe it is already fixed and a different version will actually be pushed OTA.

Maybe uninstall Sky and reinstall but it should work for you.

#88 wkndplaya

wkndplaya

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for this, awesome find :).
At some point in the future, something meaningful will go here.

#89 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Bro DDX! Your steps totally worked for me after matt and I tried. I got 744 and then 748. Will flash 173 next. Thanks!

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#90 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

Bro DDX! Your steps totally worked for me after matt and I tried. I got 744 and then 748. Will flash 173 next. Thanks!

I'm glad I van help. Do you think I would lie to you ;)

#91 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

I'm glad I van help. Do you think I would lie to you ;)

I did. Liar... :P

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#92 Ne0LyFeiSm

Ne0LyFeiSm

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Installed the update last night. Seems to be working fine so far. My Razr feels faster in normal everyday usage. Panorama mode is a nice addition to the camera and the camera itself seems to be a tad bit better. Signal strength and 4g/3g handoffs are significantly improved (haven't had a data drop yet!)

So far so good

**Non-Rooted, 100% Stock Razr**

#93 islandfever

islandfever

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Can Nyone tell me if you can use UOT kitchen or rom toolbox to change battery icon etc on the stock 173?

#94 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Loaded this on my 3-day old Razr last night, executed perfectly. I am noticing a SHOCKING improvement with the 4G reception. Prior to this update, my phone was constantly dropping data when I was in my office. Today, I'm getting 10MB+ with no drop-outs.

BOOM!

#95 Tmc363

Tmc363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Twitter:@tmc363
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Loaded this on my 3-day old Razr last night, executed perfectly. I am noticing a SHOCKING improvement with the 4G reception. Prior to this update, my phone was constantly dropping data when I was in my office. Today, I'm getting 10MB+ with no drop-outs.

BOOM!

+1

Posted Image

Donate $10 or more to our Phones For Devs Giveaway and get a Custom Forum title and help the Make a wish Foundation details here: http://www.droidrzr....-custom-titles/

#96 Assassin

Assassin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

Do i just put this on the sdcard & boot into cwm recovery( i have the one that always boots up first & then i reboot into phone) & install update from zip? I am on the latest ota update rooted & have used voodoo root keeper. I tried using cheesecake & it messed up my phone so when i try to check for update it says need motorola service acct & then keeps searching for server. Thanx in advance

#97 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Do i just put this on the sdcard & boot into cwm recovery( i have the one that always boots up first & then i reboot into phone) & install update from zip? I am on the latest ota update rooted & have used voodoo root keeper. I tried using cheesecake & it messed up my phone so when i try to check for update it says need motorola service acct & then keeps searching for server. Thanx in advance

Please read the thread. RSD Lite, Wipe, root, and install up the upgrade path using OTA rootkeeper. It seriously is just in the thread.

Also, do NOT cheesecake. If you don't know what you are doing you will find nothing and just screw up your phone. Seriously. Do NOT.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#98 fosser2

fosser2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

!!***

I took time to register for this site just because of this. I also flashed the OTA update last night. My device was rooted previously. After copying the OTA update to the EXTSDCARD I flashed and the exact same thing happened. It took an extremely long time to "flash" this build and it failed at Updating BP also. Upon reboot I had no 3G/4G but wifi did work. Baseband version was "unavailable" in system setting. I got scared and flashed the update again. The second time the update went much faster and it passed the BP/LTE portion of the upgrade. Everything installed properly. Upon reboot I had phone signal but no 3g/4g data. I called voicemail and that worked. I went back into recovery and wiped data and finally everything worked upon reboot. One thing I thought for sure that I was going to lose was root because of the data wipe. When I had rebooted back in I found that Voodo had still saved my root somehow, so it must have been written to the SD card. I was happy about that so I do not have to fastboot back to the older firmware. Aside from the graphical changes 4g seems to be a bit more stable. Also I do have FC when pressing search on app screen, but we all knew that. So far I am happy with this update. Hopefully ICS comes sooner than later.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I had never used Safestrap and I do not know what hashtags are, so really, I'm not sure why the update failed.

#99 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

I took time to register for this site just because of this. I also flashed the OTA update last night. My device was rooted previously. After copying the OTA update to the EXTSDCARD I flashed and the exact same thing happened. It took an extremely long time to "flash" this build and it failed at Updating BP also. Upon reboot I had no 3G/4G but wifi did work. Baseband version was "unavailable" in system setting. I got scared and flashed the update again. The second time the update went much faster and it passed the BP/LTE portion of the upgrade. Everything installed properly. Upon reboot I had phone signal but no 3g/4g data. I called voicemail and that worked. I went back into recovery and wiped data and finally everything worked upon reboot. One thing I thought for sure that I was going to lose was root because of the data wipe. When I had rebooted back in I found that Voodo had still saved my root somehow, so it must have been written to the SD card. I was happy about that so I do not have to fastboot back to the older firmware. Aside from the graphical changes 4g seems to be a bit more stable. Also I do have FC when pressing search on app screen, but we all knew that. So far I am happy with this update. Hopefully ICS comes sooner than later.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I had never used Safestrap and I do not know what hashtags are, so really, I'm not sure why the update failed.

I had the same issue at one point. Just did what you did. I am glad you signed up for this site, its the best place for Razr info!

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#100 ddemlong

ddemlong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hmm, I am wondering if something comes out soon either just an upgrade or ICS if we still have to RSD back to 744... aw well, at the very most its a couple of extra steps. At least we aren't off the OTA path.
Droid RAZR Rooted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users