• LocationLansing,MI

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

#1 MOST PAID APP IS Titanium Backup PRO Key ★ root

Posted Image

If you haven't been on

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

in a while, you may not have noticed that "

" , at $6.58, is now the most paid app on Android. B)
What does this mean? Is rooting devices slowly becoming more common? :oHmm. If this is true, I wonder if OEM's pick up on it and decide to make rooting a device that much harder. So, is this a good thing or is it a bad thing? :unsure: Let us know.
  • mattlgroff likes this

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

I would actually think that this would make carriers more interested in looking at unlocked devices/devices provided with root access by default.

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

phones should be released with root acess from the factory. If your not a tinkerer and a regular user, you will never even encounter a situation where you would have to grant access. Take the cuffs off already

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#4 adroidman

adroidman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

You are not taking into consideration that many of the apps that were in the top are now using in app purchases and no longer have a big section for buying a paid app. We can speculate all day but the only way to find out if it is becoming more common is to ask the developers if they have seen an increase in there sales. I asked Jrummy16 and he said that his sales were still the same even though his app is number 11

#5 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I don't know, but I'm glad I purchased TiBa when it was cheaper... :)
  • Nanniepoo likes this
Posted Image

#6 kernelhappy

kernelhappy

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Which of you was peeking at my search history?

Last week I noticed that TB pro key has 500K+ downloads. I'm not sure if that's individual downloads or sales, but at $6.95 a pop it had me wondering just how much revenue it made.

I think the increase in popularity is a function of not being able to easily move from device to device. While I'm a crackflasher, my wife runs stock on her SGS3. When she got the phone, the only easy way to move her game progress and other stuff over was to root and restore. I wonder if they've seen a uptick in sales as more and more people move into their 2nd android device and are faced with this dilemma.

#7 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Downloads don't really say much, IMO. I'm a crackflasher and can't begin to count how many times I download the same apps from the play store.

#8 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Google+:126robert@gmail.com
  • LocationWestern North Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

What is the benefit of rooting the phone?? Also, if you are rooted does it prevent you from DL anything from the App Store??

Thanks

#9 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Only thing you can't do in the play store is rent stuff like movies.

The benefits are endless. You can change themes, fonts, remove bloat, overclock, underclock, change the boot animation, install custom roms and more

#10 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

There isn't a single thing I can think of that would benefit a carrier or manufacturer by giving us unlocked devices. Once we screw them up, it's popular to return it for warranty which costs them hard cash, we use tethering software to burn data, which used to cost extra money that they won't be earning. There are just two reasons, I'm sure there are more I can think of when I sit on my thinker in a few minutes.

#11 fireman

fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

i think its becoming more popular because of the options it opens one up to with there phones and its a way for people to bypass the rediculas double charging carriers do to use the mobile hotspot. i dont think carriers will unlock anything i think they will focus more on making things harder so they can try to secure there extra charges

#12 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

I am a technical person, but I have never looked at Rooting my cell phone. Is there a guide on how to do this, and if you don't like it, how to go back??

Thank you

#13 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

There isn't a single thing I can think of that would benefit a carrier or manufacturer by giving us unlocked devices. Once we screw them up, it's popular to return it for warranty which costs them hard cash, we use tethering software to burn data, which used to cost extra money that they won't be earning. There are just two reasons, I'm sure there are more I can think of when I sit on my thinker in a few minutes.

IMO it's easier to recover a device that's unlocked. So as long as someone has somewhat of an idea about what they're doing, they'll be able to restore their device w/o involving the carrier and/or manufacturer. Just think of all the phones that were returned because people "bricked" their phones trying to get to GB from ICS .84+. If it was unlocked wouldn't be an issue.

There are apps that can tether w/o root on the play store...so the extra charge is a moot point. And the fact that carriers are changing their plans so it's included anyways.

I see no benefit for locking them to be honest.

#14 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I am a technical person, but I have never looked at Rooting my cell phone. Is there a guide on how to do this, and if you don't like it, how to go back??

Thank you

If you use this:

it does everything for you, with just a few clicks. And you can unroot without a problem the same way.

Personally, I would recommend you read up as much as possible before diving in if you're uncomfortable. Really, until you take it further, there's no difference in appearance/performance of a rooted phone vs non rooted, so you probably won't notice anything different (other than superuser app). But once you start reading and really realizing everything you can do, you'll realize how much you actually opened your phone, and all the fun crazy stuff you can do. Good luck!
  • Renegade likes this

#15 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

If you use this:

it does everything for you, with just a few clicks. And you can unroot without a problem the same way.

Personally, I would recommend you read up as much as possible before diving in if you're uncomfortable. Really, until you take it further, there's no difference in appearance/performance of a rooted phone vs non rooted, so you probably won't notice anything different (other than superuser app). But once you start reading and really realizing everything you can do, you'll realize how much you actually opened your phone, and all the fun crazy stuff you can do. Good luck!

Thank you, I will look at the link you posted.

#16 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Will going thru this process of rooting my phone do anything to the data and settings that are already on the phone??

#17 BUMMERX

BUMMERX

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:BuMMeR_X
  • LocationGoose Creek, SC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Only thing you can't do in the play store is rent stuff like movies. The benefits are endless. You can change themes, fonts, remove bloat, overclock, underclock, change the boot animation, install custom roms and more

I'm rooted and rent movies from the Play Store all the time......

#18 Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

• Developer
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:@RomBreaker
  • Google+:rombreaker@gmail.com
  • LocationLansing,MI

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Will going thru this process of rooting my phone do anything to the data and settings that are already on the phone??

Not at all.

#19 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Root explorer is no. 5 and rom toolbox pro is 11

#20 Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

• Developer
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:@RomBreaker
  • Google+:rombreaker@gmail.com
  • LocationLansing,MI

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Root explorer is no. 5 and rom toolbox pro is 11

Thats amazing. I don't know if the rest of the world just stopped buying apps or something, but to me it looks like people are starting to recognize what root access can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users