• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Google+:126robert@gmail.com
  • LocationWestern North Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Where do you find these apps??
  • Install Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper App. With the phone booted and on USB Debugging enabled (not USB Mode Mass Storage as well), this will install the app.
  • Install Bootstrap Recovery App (ICS version). With the phone booted and on USB Debugging enabled (not USB Mode Mass Storage as well), this will install the app.
  • Install Safestrap Recovery App (ICS version). With the phone booted and on USB Debugging enabled (not USB Mode Mass Storage as well), this will install the app.
  • Flash 6.16.211 boot img (official kernel). Put the phone into AP Fastboot mode and run the option. (Power the phone on with holding both volume buttons + power button.) [This option is to undo Option 7]
  • Flash 6.16.214 boot.img (leaked kernel). Put the phone into AP Fastboot mode and run the option. (Power the phone on with holding both volume buttons + power button.)

#22 joeyx2

joeyx2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Don't forget if you root and want to be able to send it back in For replacement they will know you have rooted. Don't want to scare you into not rooting but if you know your never going to send it in for replacement then routing is awesome. read up on it a lot. Don't just wing it.

As far as it getting more popular i don't think so. I still have people tell me they still don't know how to do half the stuff on it with it being stock.

#23 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Ok the master file is almost in, then it will be time to join the Rooted Club!!!

#24 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Ok with a little help from someone here I am ROOTED!!! Now what??? I tried to remove some of the verizon crap from my phone and no option to do that???

#25 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Ok with a little help from someone here I am ROOTED!!! Now what??? I tried to remove some of the verizon crap from my phone and no option to do that???

Try an app like Rom Toolbox.

#26 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

Try an app like Rom Toolbox.

What kind of things can I do with this???

#27 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Ok where is the guide that says what I can now do with my phone now that I have full control of it??

#28 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

IMO it's easier to recover a device that's unlocked. So as long as someone has somewhat of an idea about what they're doing, they'll be able to restore their device w/o involving the carrier and/or manufacturer. Just think of all the phones that were returned because people "bricked" their phones trying to get to GB from ICS .84+. If it was unlocked wouldn't be an issue.

There are apps that can tether w/o root on the play store...so the extra charge is a moot point. And the fact that carriers are changing their plans so it's included anyways.

I see no benefit for locking them to be honest.

I forgot about the advertising. We can get advertised to every time we turn around or open a window. rooting allows ad blockers, which they get paid to put all over our stuff.

#29 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

What kind of things can I do with this???

Just start looking through it. You've opened up all the filepaths in your phone so you can explore the system folders (don't delete anything unless you know what you're doing), can run scripts, execute commands, block ads, configure what apps start when you start your phone, control the CPU, change you boot animations, icons, fonts...the list goes on and on. This is why I recommended you just start googling and reading :D . Basically everything I've learned is just from reading and experimenting.

I forgot about the advertising. We can get advertised to every time we turn around or open a window. rooting allows ad blockers, which they get paid to put all over our stuff.

True...only blocked ads once and it jacked up Google Music and haven't tried since. But, is the manufacturer seeing any of that? I thought carriers just got money for including bloat, but how much of the ads come from bloat? I thought the main reason for ads was revenue for app developers.
  • Renegade likes this

#30 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Ok where is the guide that says what I can now do with my phone now that I have full control of it??

This forum is full of different things you can do. Look up safestrap (2.0 and higher) which will allow you to flash things like Google Now and ROMs. There are also other tweaks you can do. I think there are themes for stock ICS if you don't want to dive into ROMs just yet. I'd also recommend purchasing CPU Sleeper from the Play Store. It shuts down one of the cores when your screen is off and my battery life has GREATLY improved.
  • Renegade likes this

#31 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

There is just a lot to this. I was on google last night looking at tops apps to get for rooted phones. There is just a lot to this, and it would be helpful if there was something else to help let people understand what they can do, and an avenue to go down rather then to just jump around.

#32 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

This forum is full of different things you can do. Look up safestrap (2.0 and higher) which will allow you to flash things like Google Now and ROMs. There are also other tweaks you can do. I think there are themes for stock ICS if you don't want to dive into ROMs just yet. I'd also recommend purchasing CPU Sleeper from the Play Store. It shuts down one of the cores when your screen is off and my battery life has GREATLY improved.

I have looked for safestrap and safe strap at the App Store and I do not come up with anything???

#33 oliohh

oliohh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have looked for safestrap and safe strap at the App Store and I do not come up with anything???

get it here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#34 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for the link for that, but I have to admit, I am new at this. How do I install it? Phone is rooted, an the dev check is checked.

#35 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Based off the market, it does seem that rooting is becoming more the norm to some extent. I remember looking through the top apps and it seemed that half or more had something to do with root access.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#36 roBrey85

roBrey85

Brey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

Renegade: Go into the chatroom for help. There is usually someone there willing to help.

I'd say root is definitely getting popular but is it the normal? Probably not. It seems like a lot of people just root the phone for one thing specifically. For my coworker, it was having the ability to tether. He doesn't care if he can change the kernal, radios or ROMs (Tbolt). He just enjoys connecting his iPad to his Tbolts 4G.

Posted Image

#37 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Not that I was questioning the data, but I had to go look for myself, since I thought TiB might be usable without root. Nope. Since I've only had an unrooted phone for about 3 minutes, I suppose I should have known that was the case. And Root Explorer and ROM Toolbox Pro are definitely not non-root apps. I don't think I run into more people with rooted phones these days, but I seem to run into more / a higher percentage who want to know how to do it, and don't have a preconception that it's "hacking" [in a black hat way], "illegal," or "dangerous," all of which I've heard from time to time in the past. The Android world domination continues. Which is kind of sad, because if successful, we'll have to find a new hobby/addiction/identity/name/avatar/email address.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users