• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

(Mostly) stock, rooted, .215 leak installed.
Turned the screen on after work yesterday and it was acting like I had the HDMI cable plugged in(stuck in landscape and asking what mode I prefer), but it has not been for a few days.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2.58MB   4 downloads

I actually do use port plugs- I really do not like how all 3 ports are open and on the top exposed.

2.56MB   3 downloads
Anyone else use these?? I really had fun finding that micro HDMI port cover, and now that might be the problem?
Got these from here:

Anyway, I got home, powered the phone down, blew out the ports with Dust Remover in a can. Powered back up. All seemed good.
For about 24 hrs. I did leave the plugs out during this time and used a magnifying glass to check the ports.
I went to plug into my original, factory, Moto wall charger today and it all started again. Even when unplugging it. Once it starts a reboot does not affect it.
Any ideas? My main question is how does the phone detect HDMI? By way of a physical switch that it 'feels' when a plug is in, or by way of completing the electrical circuit when plugged. Either way I dont know why plugging my charger would activate it, besides, it had been off all cables for hours the first time it happened.

#2 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Went back to a clean slate using Matt's utility. The process went fine, but the problem is still there. Not 100% of the time, but too often. And sometimes keeps trying to flip in and out of WebTop mode while in the middle of doing something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

,sorry for the delay in help,but it sure sounds like you have a hardware problem,i would call verizon,be sure to go back to stock 211 first PS:you should have jumped in chat room for instant help

#4 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

I have a replacement coming from VZW.
Hope it's not a refurb.
Anyway, I still have some questions.
Is it probable my above mentioned port plugs caused this? I really don't want it to happen again.
Another question: Is there a recommended maximum length HDMI cable? The one I have has been working perfectly since I got the phone in May, but I don't know if being too long would cause it to whig out like this(To clarify it still works perfectly when plugged in, just still thinks it plugged in randomly even hours after).
Don't want any problems with the replacement.

#5 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

first,any replacement from verizon will be a refurb,i wouldn't think plugs would cause a problem unless they are allowing it to sweat inside,i haven't seen anywhere about a limit to length of hdmi cable,PS: you are the first i've heard of using those dust plugs and the first to hear of hdmi problems like that-you be the judge

#6 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I had the same issue with my first RAZR with it wiggin' out thinking I had the HDMI cable hooked up... I ended up getting a "certified like new" replacement.... I believe the cause of it was a Samsung TV I hooked it to... something about HDMI linking built into the TV... it sends voltage both ways to communicate with a compatible HDMI device to allow the TV to switch it on when the input is selected... I never used those plugs and I had the same problem. I've never hooked my new replacement phone's HDMI up to a TV with that HDMI link thing and the problem hasn't returned since...

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Restoring your device with Matt's utility isn't 100% if u don't wipe data also. Use the utility to restore the phone to stock but FIRST,in recovery do a data wipe and see if that helps.

On a side note, where did u get those plugs for the ports?

Sent from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#8 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

A video of the phone is now live on YouTube!
Check it out here: http://youtu.be/vfRxQDUEHtI

On a side note, where did u get those plugs for the ports?

The plugs were from

I have left them out since this started just in case.

#9 hay

hay

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

dud go to settings/display
there you have connect HDMI
just make it unchose and it will do the trick,

just for u to know if you have case the cover the slots
its make the razr thinks that hdmi plugged, other way its problem
and lab told me it cant be fixed, maybe corosia, or maybe its falls and that what happened

#10 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Update(slightly off OP topic)
Been running Refurb replacement a few weeks now, all is good EXCEPT...
Battery!! Battery info shows good health, but definitely not lasting as long. Same setup, used all the great charging ideas.. Good thing I have tha MAXX!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HDMI, Port plugs, topicover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users